LEJOG 2022

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
puffin

LEJOG 2022

Post by puffin »

I have finally got my ducks in a row, booked my accommodation and arranged transport. Here's the plan, leaving 27th May
Day 1 Camelford
Day 2 Cullompten
Day 3 Standon Drew BS39
Day 4 Ross on Wye
Day 5 Much Wenlock
Day 6 Hoo Green Warrington
Day 7 Slaidburn
Day 8 Kirkoswald CA10
Day 9 Tushielaw
Day 10 Forgandenny
Day 11 Braemar
Day 12 Grantown on Spey (a short day due to accommodation scarcity to the North)
Day 13 Bonar Bridge
Day 14 Bettyhill
Day 15 JOG
Tiggertoo

Re: LEJOG 2022

Post by Tiggertoo »

Puffin, Is there a particular reason you want to take so long to do the ride? Nothing wrong with taking one's time, of course, just wondering.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Tiggertoo wrote: 2 Mar 2022, 5:06pm Puffin, Is there a particular reason you want to take so long to do the ride? Nothing wrong with taking one's time, of course, just wondering.
That is fast for me! :D
honesty

Post by honesty »

I’m looking to do it in 17 days, because, what’s the rush. :wink:
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Actually, the only reason I have any interest in riding Lejog is because I no longer live in England, and so if I want to ride in Britain I might as well do an iconic ride such as the end-to end.

If I was still living in - say - Cambridge and wanted to ride to the top end I could just as easily take my bike out of the garage, plot myself a route - avoiding the ugly conurbations (Birmingham, Rotherham, Liverpool, etc,) in the Midlands and ride there and back. I would have no reason to take a train to Lands End - I have been there, nasty place, almost as bad as Great Yarmouth - and then a train back from Inverness and having to deal with the hassle of taking the bike on the train.

There are so many truly wonderful areas of Britain to ride through, why bother with the worst parts, and why anguish over drivers that act as if a cyclist is the last person who should be riding on 'their' roads?

So, 10 day Lejog it is for me this time because the cost to me of getting there is astronomical and I might as well get it over and done with in as shorter time as is reasonable. :roll:
puffin

Post by puffin »

I know the lengths people go to avoid me, but even so..
One of my pre booked hotels in Cheshire has decided the best thing to do is to just cease trading. Possibly just coincidence I hear you say, then wait. Another hotel in Scotland has just exploded in a fireball. Coincidence? You decide.

The hotel in Braemar has just been rennovated, so it must be doubly heartbreaking for te owners who would have been looking forward to better times.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Gordon Arms is also closed at the moment but expected to be open with new owners mid April.
Just in case Tushielaw goes tits up for you as well.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
puffin

Post by puffin »

Paulatic wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 9:29am Gordon Arms is also closed at the moment but expected to be open with new owners mid April.
Just in case Tushielaw goes tits up for you as well.
Thanks for that. Tushielaw Inn and the Gordon Arms, both great places to stay. Have they fixed the road from Peebles to Edinburgh yet? :)
puffin

Post by puffin »

First training ride today, 56 miles round Bucks and Oxfordshire. Went well.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Well done.

Don't build up to quickly 10% is a good guide.

Do some back to back rides too so that you are used to getting back on the bike after a previous day's riding.

Don't forget to eat well too.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

puffin wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 7:09pm First training ride today, 56 miles round Bucks and Oxfordshire. Went well.
One small pedal for Puffin, one giant pedal to John o' Groats!
puffin

Post by puffin »

Jamesh wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 7:44am Well done.

Don't build up to quickly 10% is a good guide.

Do some back to back rides too so that you are used to getting back on the bike after a previous day's riding.

Don't forget to eat well too.
Good thinking, will do
puffin

Post by puffin »

Tiggertoo wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 3:37pm
puffin wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 7:09pm First training ride today, 56 miles round Bucks and Oxfordshire. Went well.
One small pedal for Puffin, one giant pedal to John o' Groats!
Didn't seem that small at the time. I'm old. :) :D
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

I expect that 56 miles with the amount of climbing expected Bucks/Oxfordshire should be a good test for what will come.

I rode 100 miles yesterday - lovely wild flowers, it's the season for them around here - when the temperature reached 89F during the afternoon and the wind howled much of the time. The climbing rate wasn't much - 2,000 feet over the distance - but the worst was the road surfaces. All of it has gone to this chip/seal where a layer of sealant is laid and chips of stone are rolled in. It's a constant shuddering and really exhausting. One answer is wider tyres and lower pressures but none of my bikes can take wider than 32, so a bit screwed on that front. Average on the bike speed was 14.3 MPH, which is not great but gets the job done.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of your preparation.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Tiggertoo wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 3:30pm
I expect that 56 miles with the amount of climbing expected Bucks/Oxfordshire should be a good test for what will come.

I rode 100 miles yesterday - lovely wild flowers,

I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of your preparation.
I have never ridden 100 miles in a day. Respect.