single handed steering

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Psamathe

Re: single handed steering

Post by Psamathe »

squeaker wrote: 5 Mar 2022, 1:23pm
Psamathe wrote: 5 Mar 2022, 12:12pmA separate aspect to investigate (here with those who have such experience than me). My bent (ICE Sprint X Tour) has 26x1.75 Marathon Plus on the rear and riding out of my driveway is grass/gravel and slightly uphill and rear regularly loses traction (not and issue for me on my drive and not much of a slope) but I recon it does not have the same traction my 2 wheel DF has. Others with more experience can advise if this is a real effect and it might impact your choice of tyres/wheel?
IME (ICE 'S', 'T' & Sprint 26) it's a real effect based on a local hill that's regularly covered in mud :roll: My impression is that the T suffers less due to the shorter wheelbase increasing the rear wheel load slightly (when laden), although the only one I've measured was the long wheelbase 'S', which had 32% on the rear wheel. Use of a 20" rear wheel with a more upright seat enables a shorter wheelbase; suspension helps retain grip if it's bumpy.

The other consideration is that with one weak leg the torque to the drive wheel will not be smooth, which won't help matters.

Overall though, this may be overthinking it! My only recommendation would be for a rear suspension if 20", probably not if 26".
My thought was it was just a consideration for OP when choosing a bent not if it was going to be a good idea or not (sounds to me like a great idea). Same with ground clearance; mine has 3" which if fairly low and may not be ideal for the OP's intended use but there are loads with more ground clearance. Same with wheels and tyres, Plenty of tyres that will give better traction, etc. Not what OP was asking but I thought worth raising to help choosing suitable machine.

Ian
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

It's a good point that a tadpole trike is more likely to distribute the weight on the front wheels whereas a delta would be more weighted to the back, so less likely to skid. Also, deltas tend to be less low down.
If you're going to invest in one handed controls on top of a trike, you'd want to get the right trike.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

If stradageek hasn't snatched it up
viewtopic.php?t=149982
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Cheers all. Food for thought. We vnow get into the delta v tadpole discussion maybe. :roll: