SMGT vs SMGTe - what is the difference between seat attachment points?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Tangled Metal

SMGT vs SMGTe - what is the difference between seat attachment points?

Post by Tangled Metal »

I've an old model SMGT and wondered if anyone who owns both or even just the current SMGTe bike can describe the attachment points. Are they close enough to put a new SMGTe seat on the SMGT? I always thought that's not possible.

The reason being that the seat is probably just a smidgen too small. It feels like I'm close to slipping off the bottom or the top curve happens into my neck or upper back.

My bike has a vertical slot in two flat straps of the seat structural material (GFRP not carbon fibre) at the base of the seat and a horizontal slot in the upper attachment. These meet up to holes in the brackets on the frame with QR locking.

I think the SMGTe changed this not least to allow the body link adjustable seat.

If the official hpvelotechnik seat options won't fit do I have any options short of expensive custom made?
Psamathe

Re: SMGT vs SMGTe - what is the difference between seat attachment points?

Post by Psamathe »

Tangled Metal wrote: 6 Mar 2022, 5:47pm .....
If the official hpvelotechnik seat options won't fit do I have any options short of expensive custom made?
I've no experience of their seats and no idea if they do an SMGT one but maybe worth bookmarking as an option if you need something non-HP. Prices seem to be USD but I think it's a German company
http://www.thorseat.eu/en

Ian
steve6854

Post by steve6854 »

I've got a SMGTe. I can some photos over showing the mountings if you wish.

pm if you want.

Steve
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

No solution on that thread from 2012 jjust mention of 3 point fixing on GTe, mine is the 2 point fixing of the 2003 released gt version. Looking on HPV site it looks like the seat mounts are similar but with an open end for the vertical slot fit mounting on the seat. However that's from looking at photographs that aren't very clear on these areas. I'm sure I read three point mount though.

Thor seats don't do any for HPV bikes. It seems to be based on bolts through the v seat and into the frame not the HPV qr fixings.

It appears that there's no stock solution and the GT is different to the GTe seat mountings.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

I’ve read before that you feel you are slipping off the bottom end of the seat. I can get this sometimes on my GTE. BUT when you are riding along, and feel you are about to slide off, put your hand down, and feel where the edge of the seat is, and where your sit bones, top of thighs are,...I bet they are no where near. I think it’s where the seat covering ends, giving a false impression. Try raising the front of the seat, to give you more of a bucket, and less of a chair.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I was looking at the seat and realised it's possible to fix it to the frame both ways around. There's not much different and I'm certain I've ridden it both ways before now. Could I have it upside down?

There's a vertical slot and a horizontal slot. Which goes to the top, rear point and which to the bottom, forward point? That's for the SMGT not the SMGTe which I know is totally different and it's seats are not compatible with the SMGT frame.

Paul
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Tangled Metal wrote: 8 Mar 2022, 2:18pm I was looking at the seat and realised it's possible to fix it to the frame both ways around. There's not much different and I'm certain I've ridden it both ways before now. Could I have it upside down?

There's a vertical slot and a horizontal slot. Which goes to the top, rear point and which to the bottom, forward point? That's for the SMGT not the SMGTe which I know is totally different and it's seats are not compatible with the SMGT frame.

Paul
Without seeing it, I wouldn't know, but is the vertical slot for ventilation, and the horizontal slot for drainage? So that would mean horizontal to the bottom part? Try asking Kim on yacf she has a GT.