The New Forest.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
peetee

The New Forest.

Post by peetee »

We took a weekend away from the southwest to sample again the delights of the New Forest.
What can I relay to you? Well, delightful off road and a total nightmare on road. On moving to the Southwest from Hampshire I remember noting how motorists, on the whole, were far more considerate to cyclists. Three years later that disparity seems far broader. A great deal of drivers have not a jot for courtesy, care or tightened Highway Code regulations. And this is an area where animals roam free and cycling is heavily promoted.
In the space of three miles there were two close passes and many aggressive overtakes including two where oncoming vehicles were forced to brake to avoid a collision.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
eileithyia

Re: The New Forest.

Post by eileithyia »

Sorry to hear of your experiences. Yes there is some poor driving but I find it no worse than the roads I ride on regularly around Lancs. Many are courteous.
However quite a few roads are over used IMHO, for lots of events, there's a couple or at least were a couple of regular sportives a year, pre covid, there are audaxes as well as normal club rides. Not to mention the influx of other cyclists and I think some get a bit fed up of it all.

We've been organising the NF rally since 1974, and have noticed a difference not only in drivers but in some of the other cyclists. A few years ago we had just left our campsite and had to ride toward Burley to pick up our first track. We had a mixed group of adults, children and family cycle units (tandems / tag a longs etc), we were overtaken by a road group who carved through our riders under and overtaking without a thought for the fact we probably had inexperienced riders amongst us... indeed I suspect they were very inexperienced cyclists themselves.

We regularly use a cafe where the owner is a commoner. A couple of times a year the ponies are rounded up for health checks and sales. Think wild west drive.... One sportive decided they would set up their feed station right where ponies would be driven across the road !!!!! Obviously there is some miscommunication. Still no excuse for bad driving / dangerous driving.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
slowster

Post by slowster »

peetee wrote: 8 Mar 2022, 10:55am In the space of three miles there were two close passes and many aggressive overtakes including two where oncoming vehicles were forced to brake to avoid a collision.
As a matter of interest, on exactly which road did this occur?
peetee

Post by peetee »

From Deerleap through Beaulieu to Hatchet pond.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

eileithyia wrote: 8 Mar 2022, 3:45pm We've been organising the NF rally since 1974,
An unfortunate abbreviation for those of us who remember the 1970s. :-)
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

There is a premium to live in the forest. Higher house prices mean the locals move out and are replaced by those who use cars to convey their status. They will destroy the rural escape they crave. Blur spotted him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1a_4CN4onA
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Bear in mind that promoting may well be done by those who don't actually live or drive there. I suspect the latter might not promote cycling :roll:
peetee

Post by peetee »

And it’s not unusual for those that want to live the dream to do nothing to contribute to or protect that dream.