'Minimalist' tour on an old sit-up-and-beg in Indonesia

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
thelawnet

'Minimalist' tour on an old sit-up-and-beg in Indonesia

Post by thelawnet »

The Indonesian Land's End to John O'Groats is Sabang (Pulau Weh island, not too far from the Andaman islands in Aceh) to Marauke (the border with Papua New Guinea), west to East.

However this is a very long way and perhaps not safe?

So it's popular to head to Sabang (western point).

This grey-haired gentleman (Teguh Mukti)

decided to do this in December, from Klaten in Central Java (between Solo & Yogyakarta), to Sabang, just over 2000 miles.He bought the bicycle on his 60th birthday on 1st December for 570,000rp (about £30), and set off on 21 December

arriving at 'kilometer 0' on 18 February

It is reported that he got 6 punctures and purchased 1 new tube, and slept in filling stations along the road, though it is said that he had people pay for his meals since about the third day of his journey (food is not very expensive, typically around 50p-£1 for a local meal). He was at one point near the start of his journey offered a free more suitable bike, but his offer was rejected.

He is currently cycling back home and is I believe around 2/3 of the way back south through Sumatra.
in4time

Re: 'Minimalist' tour on an old sit-up-and-beg in Indonesia

Post by in4time »

Fantastic Pak! I’m musing to do Medan to southern tip of Java; predominately down the west coast. Thankfully I’d be on a Thorn Nomad. Big respect to this man.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Did you meet him lawnet or do you have a link. I cycled from banda ache to bakahuni in 97 down the bukit barisan range .
Regarding the west coast route I've done some of that but it's very hot. Something to think about.
Regarding danger I got stopped by a trucker near lubuk linggau in sumatra . He said there were bandits in the area and have me a lift after we had a convoy. Not sure it's still a bit dodgy or not.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

nick12 wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 3:59pm Did you meet him lawnet or do you have a link. I cycled from banda ache to bakahuni in 97 down the bukit barisan range .
Regarding the west coast route I've done some of that but it's very hot. Something to think about.
Regarding danger I got stopped by a trucker near lubuk linggau in sumatra . He said there were bandits in the area and have me a lift after we had a convoy. Not sure it's still a bit dodgy or not.
Here his Facebook account (he has quite a number, apparently his phone was stolen, so I guess he doesn't know his password :lol: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100079457280976)

FWIW his route has changed.

From originally Klaten - Sabang (around 3000km), then Klaten - Sabang - Klaten, he now has a new plan:
mandalika.jpg
That is from Java to Mandalika (Lombok), back to Surabaya, ferry to Makassar, onto Toraja in central south Sulawesi, and then IKN (ibu kota negara, national capital - Jakarta)

He left Banyuwangi, the eastern point of Java (for Bali) on 10 April and reached Mandalika today (this is notable currently because they built a moto GP circuit there, so lots of people in Indonesia are interest in it), and is now heading back to Surabaya.

sepeda.jpg
This was in Yogyakarta on 30 March
yogya.jpg
There is a news story here: https://www-tvonenews-com.translate.goo ... r_pto=wapp
keefwaddo

Post by keefwaddo »

The facebook photos are very nice; and it just goes to show, any bike is ok for a tour.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Thanks for the info and link lawnet.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

An error in my previous post 'ibu kota negara' is the planned new Indonesian capital in East Kalimantan, not the existing capital Jakarta.

Sadly after reaching Balikpapan he was heading to the site about 50 miles away on 5th May and had an accident (not clear if any other vehicles were involved). It appears from the photo he fell off and hit his head. He was sent to Balikpapan hospital where he died, when his heart stopped on 17th May . He is said to have suffered brain swelling, brain contusion and brain bleeding.

This was on the day of his accident.
FB_IMG_1654767017455.jpg