Maiden Newport to Bridport cycleway... or anything nearby...

Jdsk

Maiden Newport to Bridport cycleway... or anything nearby...

Post by Jdsk »

We're going on holiday with children and grandchildren near Bridport. What's the state of the cycleway from Maiden Newport to Bridport, please?
https://cycle.travel/city/bridport/news ... _the_coast

Thanks

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 20 Jul 2022, 11:53am, edited 1 time in total.
Norman H

Re: Maiden Newport to Bridport cycleway

Post by Norman H »

According to the Cycle Travel link only the Bridport to Bradpole section is due to be finished by May. That's a fairly modest start but at least it should take you out of Bridport and link with route 2. I spent a few days near Bridport pre pandemic, it gets very busy and in general the main roads are best avoided, especially with children. That includes the B3157 coast road and the A3066 Beaminster road. It's also pretty hilly thereabouts.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I was near Bridport at New Year and looked into riding some of this, but the weather wasn't really up to it. (I rode NCN 2 to Lyme Regis instead, which was a lovely country lane route.)

As far as I can tell the Bridport–Bradpole section is up and running; from Loders it's cyclable for about 4.5 miles as a permissive, unpaved route; then through Toller Porcorum to Maiden Newton it's inaccessible.

There seems to have been an active 'Trailway' group in about 2010-14 working to convert the trackbed for cycling use but since then it looks like it's gone quiet.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks, both.

The May in the linked article by Richard was May 2014!

Jonathan
rjb

Post by rjb »

Theirs the north Dorset trailway as well. Fairly close by in same county.
https://www.northdorsettrailway.org.uk/
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Looking forward to trying that cycleway when its finished I'm in Yeovil so this will be a nice loop for me, down to west bay and then to Maiden Newton and then back to Yeovil. Sounds like a lovely day out.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

Jdsk wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 9:29am We're going on holiday with children and grandchildren near Bridport. What's the state of the cycleway from Maiden Newport to Bridport,...
That looks like a lovely route, If you get the chance I recommend popping down slightly off route to Westbay just south of Bridport.
Bridport to Westbay 2.jpg
As you can see according to Google it's only 14 minutes and it is pretty flat (plotted from 'Gipsy Lane' north of Bridport where it appears you would leave the 'Cycleway'); to be honest those few minutes are not particularly pleasant but in reality it is about getting to Westbay and in my opinion enduring that stretch would be definitely worth it; the 18 minute option would be my choice as it's a quieter route into the bay. Image

That picture was taken last week; taken at the end of the ride, posing in front of 'East beach' and 'East Cliff' at Westbay Dorset.

Broadchurch fans will no doubt recognise that view, there were plenty more nearby as much of West Bay was used in the series. My bike is called a Van Nicholas Yukon it's not the reason my model is called that but 'Yukon exercises' was also the name the military used for the full rehearsal of the raid on Dieppe in 1942.
Yukon Excersize.jpg
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks, Paul.

It will be traffic-free only this time round with the grandchildren.

I'll report back on the condition of that bit.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

We're setting off soon.

Any more on traffic-free routes, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
rjb

Re: Maiden Newport to Bridport cycleway... or anything nearby...

Post by rjb »

Bridport isn't far from the Somerset levels so some nice quiet lanes here. I can recommend a short family ride from North Curry to Burrowbridge along the river to Stathe and back through Stoke st Gregory. Very popular route with cyclists. Approx 11 miles and nice community coffee shop in North Curry.
ps it's closed on Mondays. Enjoy.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thankyou.

I've just had a look... is that on a road?

I may not be wording this well. We're looking for paths etc that are completely free of motorised vehicles, not just quiet. Is there a smarter way for me to word this than "traffic-free"?

Jonathan
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I cycled NCN 25 along a former railway between Blandford Forum and Sturminster Newton on a gloomy, showery day in March and I thought it was a bit dull. However, it is almost traffic free and mostly flat so good for kids and I am sure it would seem better on a dry sunny day. I do not recall passing a cafe en route but you should find one at the ends.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Jdsk wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 12:20pm Thankyou.

I've just had a look... is that on a road?

I may not be wording this well. We're looking for paths etc that are completely free of motorised vehicles, not just quiet. Is there a smarter way for me to word this than "traffic-free"?

Jonathan
Hmmm, trying to think. I’m from Weymouth originally but not sure what they have in Dorset at the moment- I did love cycling in Dorset when growing up and I still miss it - the South Hams is not really nice cycling except for the occasional view. In east Devon there is good stuff around Exmouth to Topsham. Please note that the route is then shared into Exeter. On the other side of the estuary it then starts again and is a proper cycle path a good chunk to the way to starcross (do check). More details on the link. Hopefully Dorset county council has something similar. https://www.traveldevon.info/cycle/cycl ... le-trails/

They appear to have this which doesn’t look very helpful. https://www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/sport- ... est-dorset

Looks like there is some traffic free stuff running from Weymouth to Portland. Used to be one of my favourite training runs to head out to Portland bill (not suggesting cycling that far though as there’s a big climb after Chiswell). So annoying how poor the provision is in many parts of the country and how badly it compares with say France. I might also look for good off-road trails- I wonder if there is anything like Haldon forest park in Dorset- I would guess there is as there is a lot of chalk etc but not sure (thank you for tempting me to look though- I might go and do the ridgeway trail one weekend). http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home ... ing/Dorset
rjb

Post by rjb »

At the east end of Dorset Potterne Park in Verwood (free parking) has some traffic free cycle routes which access you into Moors Valley country park.
https://www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/countr ... terne-wood
https://moors-valley.co.uk/
Coaster531

Post by Coaster531 »

Traffic free old railway line from sea level at the foot of Portland hill, where the road goes onto the island, going inland for quite some way and then a dedicated separate cycle path up into the hills above Weymouth to Dorchester. A lovely route. Any use?