Posting Eliminates Red So Far Position

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
NATURAL ANKLING

Posting Eliminates Red So Far Position

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
If you're part the way through reading a post, you can come back later and return to the position you read to.

But as soon as you post halfway through reading all of the entries, your position you've read to you is lost and you end up where you've just posted.
which is real time position.

Is it just me or does anybody else find this a problem which means you have to backtrack through the posts to where you last read?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Posting Eliminates Red So Far Position

Post by admin »

I suspect the logic is that when you post a message it shows you that post. Since you've now seen the last post in the thread you are assumed to have read all the previous posts.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi okay.
Not so bad when it's one or two pages, but when you have to wade through 20 odd pages you have to remember page number you were last on.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Forum only tracks the "latest post in this thread" that you've seen. It doesn't store individual "read/unread" states for every post, as that would mean a vast number of states to be stored (the number of posts multiplied by the number of users).

You could perhaps compose replies to posts several pages back in a new browser tab, and only post them once you've finished reading?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Another tip is if you quote someone when posting, then you can click the link in the quote to get back to the post you were reading. Sadly, you still have to read the rest of the thread before you close the browser or you lose your place, but it's better than nothing.

There used to be phpbb reader apps which would track which posts you read and hadn't read, and do various snazzy different views of things, but a combination of the upgrade to phpbb 3 and domination of the incompatible-with-core accursed tapatalk seems to have killed most of them off.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.