Festival of Brexit

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Festival of Brexit

Post by Jdsk »

pete75 wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 9:18amEh? It's easy to name loads of universities in France or Germany. Just pick the name of almost any largeish city and precede it with University of.
I was discussing the excellence of British tertiary education and decrying the damage that has already been done by Leaving the EU. And there's more of that to come.

Not how to guess the titles of institutions that might or might not exist.

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 9:25am
pete75 wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 9:18amEh? It's easy to name loads of universities in France or Germany. Just pick the name of almost any largeish city and precede it with University of.
I was discussing the excellence of British tertiary education and decrying the damage that has already been done by Leaving the EU. And there's more of that to come.

Not how to guess the titles of institutions that might or might not exist.

Jonathan
You stated most people here couldn't name any universities in France or Germany other than the Sorbonne. I was pointing out that it's very likely they can.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Cyclo2022 wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 12:20am If I listed all of the benefits here it would take me an age to do but if you Google "The Benefits of Brexit" you will find a long list of advantages that this country has gained since leaving the anti democratic EU.
The fact that there is proof on Google that the Earth is flat,that the Holocaust didn't happen and that Covid 19 is some sort of multi-government control experiment makes your argument less than weak.

I find it quite annoying when someone posts something as fact but then won't,or in this case can't,back it up with actual evidence and uses Google it as their proof.If one is so adamant about a subject then the very least that person can and should do is provide evidence to back up their claims.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PedallingSquares wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 9:50amI find it quite annoying when someone posts something as fact but then won't,or in this case can't,back it up with actual evidence and uses Google it as their proof.If one is so adamant about a subject then the very least that person can and should do is provide evidence to back up their claims.
Agreed.

I like including supportive stuff with my posts and I appreciate it when others do. Either inline or as links.

Bouncing it back to "look it up yourself" is quite different.

And of course if the topic is "Why do you think... " then no search engine could possibly provide the answer.

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PedallingSquares wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 9:50am
Cyclo2022 wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 12:20am If I listed all of the benefits here it would take me an age to do but if you Google "The Benefits of Brexit" you will find a long list of advantages that this country has gained since leaving the anti democratic EU.
The fact that there is proof on Google that the Earth is flat,that the Holocaust didn't happen and that Covid 19 is some sort of multi-government control experiment makes your argument less than weak.

I find it quite annoying when someone posts something as fact but then won't,or in this case can't,back it up with actual evidence and uses Google it as their proof.If one is so adamant about a subject then the very least that person can and should do is provide evidence to back up their claims.
The (mainly French) manufacturers of pint glasses can now put a crown on them according to Mr Johnson, thus reminding us of our subservience to an unelected head of state. I'm sure there are many other benefits of similar merit.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Another benefit highighted in today's Press
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-checks-delay-rees-mogg-b2048124.html wrote:Brexit: Ministers told to delay new checks in July to prevent ‘collapse’ in UK trade
The Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) checks coming into force on 1 July will see inspections on imported agri-food and plant products, adding an estimated £1bn to the costs of trade.
“The full SPS controls on our meat and dairy goods – those are the nightmare in moving goods across the trade border for food because they require veterinary certification … they require potential inspection at arrival at port of entry,” he [Shane Brennan, chief executive of the Cold Chain Federation] said.

Mr Brennan said the Brexit red tape already imposed on small businesses trying to export has already led to a “dramatic decline in the amount of goods actually trying to leave the country.”
Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Yer godda luv Brexit ain't ya?
All that sovereignty an' Unicorn pooh!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Ever wondered what happened to the Festival?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... newcomment

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If you do wonder and won’t use a DailyMail link try this
https://www.politicshome.com/thehouse/a ... 20-million
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

pete75 wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 10:59am
PedallingSquares wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 9:50am

The (mainly French) manufacturers of pint glasses can now put a crown on them according to Mr Johnson, thus reminding us of our subservience to an unelected head of state. I'm sure there are many other benefits of similar merit.
There was nothing to stop us putting crowns on beer glasses before Brexit. It was just pointless, as it is now.
Debs

Post by Debs »

Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

National Audit Office to investigate:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -of-brexit

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 7:57am National Audit Office to investigate:

Jonathan
I'd never realised anything had actually happened. It was always going to be a disaster after the words "Rees-Mogg" were linked to it.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 10:57am

Jonathan
I'd never realised anything had actually happened. It was always going to be a disaster after the words "Rees-Mogg" were linked to it.
I knew about the disused oil rig towed through the sensitive Severn estuary environment to be displayed in a disused Victorian seafront swimming pool near my former home. I disliked the idea, but to me it sort of suits Brexit: backwards-looking, short term, environmentally damaging and with no obvious exit plan: unless they're towing it back out into the estuary or building a temporary rail freight terminal, I suspect the rig will have to be chopped up there and hauled away piecemeal through the narrow Victorian streets at night by scores of polluting diesel lorries, or go the long way round past the hospital and the foot of the Mendips.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 12:07pm
Psamathe wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 10:57am

Jonathan
I knew about the disused oil rig towed through the sensitive Severn estuary environment to be displayed in a disused Victorian seafront swimming pool near my former home. I disliked the idea, but to me it sort of suits Brexit: backwards-looking, short term, environmentally damaging and with no obvious exit plan: unless they're towing it back out into the estuary or building a temporary rail freight terminal, I suspect the rig will have to be chopped up there and hauled away piecemeal through the narrow Victorian streets at night by scores of polluting diesel lorries, or go the long way round past the hospital and the foot of the Mendips.
I saw a report of that on TV but didn't appreciate it was part of any "Festival of Brexit". My understanding (from TV) was it was some sort of art thing (using Gov. money) that very few people had visited.

Can't really see how disused oil rigs are a showcase for a forward outward looking UK after departing the EU. Maybe my daftness but I'd have expected a Gov. funded "Festival of Brexit" to show off our technology, Bio-sciences, businesses to encourage trade and investment.

Ian