Festival of Brexit

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Carlton green

Re: Festival of Brexit

Post by Carlton green »

pete75 wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 8:32pm
Carlton green wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 12:07pm

“£120,000,000!?
Where do they get these figures from?”

It’s quoted in the headline of the Independent’s article ... that particular ‘paper’, like its readers, just happens to be remain oriented. It’s not a ‘paper’ that I would read; newspapers aren’t solely about news, they’re a repeat purchase business that panders to their customer base.
The cross-party Culture Media and Sport select committee of MP's are saying the £120 million set aside for the festival is a waste of money. That's where the figure comes from.

If you regard the Times as a more reliable source of news you better read this then
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brex ... -vkbwc8h9v

I find The Independent to be politically slanted and don’t want that from a paper.

I’ve no doubt that the cross-party Culture Media and Sport Select Committee of MP's have made comment; papers tend to present news in ways that suit their agenda whereas I just want the truth - in so far as is possible the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Carlton green wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 5:49pmWhat one does for un-slanted news I’m really not sure. I go by the BBC and The Times, maybe they’re not perfect but I find them sufficiently so.
Carlton green wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 8:16amI find The Independent to be politically slanted and don’t want that from a paper.
I know of no sense of the words that makes the Times un-slanted and the Independent slanted. One might be more comfortable for you to read but that's probably an alignment of position rather than some objective test.

Jonathan

PS: There are studies of left-right positioning and accuracy of reporting, and a rather nice infographic...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Carlton green wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 8:16am
pete75 wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 8:32pm
Carlton green wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 12:07pm

“£120,000,000!?
Where do they get these figures from?”

It’s quoted in the headline of the Independent’s article ... that particular ‘paper’, like its readers, just happens to be remain oriented. It’s not a ‘paper’ that I would read; newspapers aren’t solely about news, they’re a repeat purchase business that panders to their customer base.
The cross-party Culture Media and Sport select committee of MP's are saying the £120 million set aside for the festival is a waste of money. That's where the figure comes from.

If you regard the Times as a more reliable source of news you better read this then
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brex ... -vkbwc8h9v

I find The Independent to be politically slanted and don’t want that from a paper.

I’ve no doubt that the cross-party Culture Media and Sport Select Committee of MP's have made comment; papers tend to present news in ways that suit their agenda whereas I just want the truth - in so far as is possible the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
And you regard one of Murdoch's mouthpieces as speaking the truth?

What you really mean is that The Independent has political views different to your own whereas the Times doesn't.
However your Times also reports that £120 million is to be spent on the event.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyclo2022

Post by Cyclo2022 »

As a supporter of brexit I am all for it especially when I see lots of money wasted on Loony left wing projects.
You can't put a price on Independence folks so Happy Days...🇬🇧👏🏻
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cyclo2022 wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 1:24pm As a supporter of brexit I am all for it especially when I see lots of money wasted on Loony left wing projects.
You can't put a price on Independence folks so Happy Days...🇬🇧👏🏻
I recall being very confused when you substituted a kickstand with a cafe lock. Now I’m bewildered when you use the word Independence with an icon of a Union flag.
Ah well I look forward to hearing all about the benefits of Brexit you’ve experienced. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

These people have got as the saying was, more front than Sainsburys (by these people I mean primarily Johnson, Rees-Mogg & Farage). Even after all the evidence is starting to show, without much ambiguity, that leaving the EU has been a ghastly mistake, these same bad pennies crop again, telling us, with completely straight faces, how awful everything is and how we must grasp every opportunity to make things better. Well of course its bad - they made it so!! The hypocrisy of these individuals is stunning, simply stunning...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

FWIW, I thought Sainburys were remembered for rabbit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGNojF9qKS0
pete75

Post by pete75 »

simonineaston wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 3:15pm These people have got as the saying was, more front than Sainsburys (by these people I mean primarily Johnson, Rees-Mogg & Farage). Even after all the evidence is starting to show, without much ambiguity, that leaving the EU has been a ghastly mistake, these same bad pennies crop again, telling us, with completely straight faces, how awful everything is and how we must grasp every opportunity to make things better. Well of course its bad - they made it so!! The hypocrisy of these individuals is stunning, simply stunning...
I thought the saying was, more front than Dolly Parton :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Carlton green wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 9:39am
ANTONISH wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 9:20am
Stradageek wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 9:04am If you thought Putin was good at dis-information, try reading this:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... brexit.pdf

And if this document is a festival precursor then I can't imagine how vacuous the event will be; and what a total waste of money :x
I confess to voting for Brexit.
Looking at this document is making my eyes glaze over.
A load of waffle from the prince of wafflers.
Quantum strategy - what the hell is that? Lots of other quantums thrown in - did I really vote for this? ( I really wanted to avoid moving to a United States of Europe - I was happy enough with the EEC ).
And a £120 million jamboree - I wonder how many of Boris's chums will be benefitting from that.
I reckon that a lot of people will be similarly minded to yourself, I certainly am. A case of dammed if you do and dammed if you don’t.

Can’t say that Boris impresses me much and next time round I’ll be voting for Starmer. If his party had pragmatically listened to folk on the doorstep then they might just be in power now, as opposed to the Tories who promised to get Brexit done - the big ticket item - and understood what was needed to win.
The pair of you were conned like the rest who vote for Brexit,admit it!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

A festival to celebrate this mess?£120m?
Just when you thought the Tories couldn't get any further up their own backsides this bunch of utter scum come up with this.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PedallingSquares wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 4:26pm A festival to celebrate this mess?£120m?
Just when you thought the Tories couldn't get any further up their own backsides this bunch of utter scum come up with this.
Didn't you know,haven't you heard?
The Unicorns frolick in the sunny uplands that only Brexit could bring to us all.....

.....wait..... ......,I'll ask a farmer,a fisherman,a pork butcher,a cheesemaker,and an exporter to the EU,whether there could possibly be a faultline running through it enough to swallow a Unicorn whole?
Could the laundry be dirty with the filth of Put(r)idness in the offshore tax havens of the rightiously rich?
Could there possibly be something wrong with this picturesque and pleasant scene,I'll a exHonda car worker,an HGV driver and exP&O worker.
I won't ask a Tory though due to them being full of B***S**t
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

W H Auden
Cyclo2022

Post by Cyclo2022 »

I see there are still a multitude of moaning remainers in this country. The benefits are on the way if the Tories get their finger out and implement article 16. I love being out of the Facist, beauracratic EU and all true Britons should embrace and celebrate our Independence. So move on and stop moaning as there is nothing more to see here.....🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧😉
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyclo2022 wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 9:07pm I see there are still a multitude of moaning remainers in this country. The benefits are on the way if the Tories get their finger out and implement article 16. I love being out of the Facist, beauracratic EU and all true Britons should embrace and celebrate our Independence. So move on and stop moaning as there is nothing more to see here.....🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧😉
Why is it that when somebody disagrees with something, presents their reasons, etc. others feel it necessary to describe this as "moaning" rather than engaging and discussing. Brexit is a complex thing with many different aspects and different people put different priorities on many of those aspects. Far more complex than throwing mad accusations like "EU is Facist" - certainly hope those voting leave had better reasons that that (e.g. £350m a week for the NHS ...).

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyclo2022 wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 9:07pm I see there are still a multitude of moaning remainers in this country. The benefits are on the way if the Tories get their finger out and implement article 16. I love being out of the Facist, beauracratic EU and all true Britons should embrace and celebrate our Independence. So move on and stop moaning as there is nothing more to see here.....🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧😉
If you wish to see a facist look at Putin.
Now if Brexit is so good you'll have a list as long as you're arm to show us just how good Brexit has been so far! :)
W H Auden