Festival of Brexit

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: Festival of Brexit

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 12:48pm I saw a report of that on TV but didn't appreciate it was part of any "Festival of Brexit". My understanding (from TV) was it was some sort of art thing (using Gov. money) that very few people had visited.
I really suggest watching some TV news that is less wholeheartedly behind the government.
Can't really see how disused oil rigs are a showcase for a forward outward looking UK after departing the EU. Maybe my daftness but I'd have expected a Gov. funded "Festival of Brexit" to show off our technology, Bio-sciences, businesses to encourage trade and investment.
The "forward outward looking UK" Brexit lost the argument in 2015, well before the vote, when the so-called "global Britain" supporters were forced out of Vote Leave by Johnson, Gove, Cummings and Gisela Stuart. With the subsequent falls of the mainstream Conservatives, Cummings and the Johnsonians, the ones now in control are the ones least likely to support our technology (which they see as dangerous replacement of low-paid work), Bio-sciences (fears of "grey goo") and international trade and investment (favouring protectionism instead, which is after all essentially why some Peelites left the Conservative Party to co-found the Liberals).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

In today's Telegraph, House of Commons’ digital, culture, media and sports select committee chairman Julian Knight says of the festival "No one has had the bravery or, frankly, the intelligence to turn around and say, ‘Stop – this is clearly going off the rails. This is just going to be an embarrassment and a waste of money. Why didn’t someone do that?”

Again, a fitting festival for Brexit, of which the same can be asked.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I would judge it a roaring success, in that success is usually measured by checking whether objectives have been met, and the objectives were so miserably unSMART that if it resulted in:

- two or more persons gathering in one place; and,

- one or more person celebrating,

then they were met.

Job well done!
Debs

Post by Debs »

We call upon the Government to hold a Public Inquiry into the impact of Brexit

The benefits that were promised if the UK exited the European Union have not been delivered, so we call upon the Government to hold a Public Inquiry to assess the impact that Brexit has had on this country and its citizens.
Regardless as to which way you voted (or didn't vote) please sign this petition!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/628226
It is time that the people of this country were told the truth about Brexit, good or bad. We deserve to know how Brexit is impacting on trade, the economy, opportunities for young people and how it has affected the rights of individuals. This can only be done by an independent Public Inquiry, free from ideology and the opinions of vested interests.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Debs wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 3:32pm

The benefits that were promised if the UK exited the European Union have not been delivered, so we call upon the Government to hold a Public Inquiry to assess the impact that Brexit has had on this country and its citizens.

The petition starts with an assertion that the benefits of Brexit haven't been delivered and calls for an inquiry into the impact of Brexit - which I suppose could conclude that the benefits of Brexit have been delivered.

If one signs the petition presumably one has to concur with the assertion.

I voted for Brexit but I had no illusions about the economic impact - freedom has a cost.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

my last post has somehow gone into large case - I have no intention of shouting.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

ANTONISH wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 11:35am my last post has somehow gone into large case - I have no intention of shouting.
You quoted a bit that had been large font, and cut off the "stop being large font" tags.

So what freedom do we now have that we didn't in the EU?
The freedom to dump sewage into rivers maybe?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

ANTONISH wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 11:35am my last post has somehow gone into large case - I have no intention of shouting.
:-)
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

ANTONISH wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 11:32am
Debs wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 3:32pm
The petition starts with an assertion that the benefits of Brexit haven't been delivered and calls for an inquiry into the impact of Brexit - which I suppose could conclude that the benefits of Brexit have been delivered.

If one signs the petition presumably one has to concur with the assertion.

I voted for Brexit but I had no illusions about the economic impact - freedom has a cost.
Am fascinated to know how the freedom benefits have turned out.

Personally, I seem to have lost a number of freedoms but not gained any.
mjr

Post by mjr »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 11:48am Am fascinated to know how the freedom benefits have turned out.

I seem to have been freed from having repeat medication available consistently on time (local pharmacy now require 5 working days notice instead of 3) and from being able to find basic foodstuffs like tomatoes all in the same town at the same time(!)

I preferred the previous freedoms from worrying that medications were unavailable and from searching around for food.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

We have the freedom to moan or not moan.
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 11:48am
Am fascinated to know how the freedom benefits have turned out.

27 specific freedoms that were taken away. The ability to effortlessly live and work in 27 other countries, totalling 443 million people, spread out over 4.23 million square kilometres.

Of all the things, I feel that this self inflicted separation between the UK and Europe is the hardest to stomach. The only reason we were able to move to Sweden fairly easily is that I have a German passport too.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mattheus wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 1:24pm We have the freedom to moan or not moan.
As your post makes clear, we have the freedom to try and shut down discussion of reality.

But we had that before, so it's not new.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 1:30pm
mattheus wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 1:24pm We have the freedom to moan or not moan.
As your post makes clear, we have the freedom to try and shut down discussion of reality.

But we had that before, so it's not new.
Don't get me wrong - we have every right to moan (just as brexiters had the right to moan about the EU before Brexit); and in fact it goes way beyond moaning, as there are now very real issues that have come about DUE TO Brexit.

I was attempting humour, in a dark room!