Cantii Way

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gaz

Cantii Way

Post by gaz »

Coming soon - 145 mile tour of Kent "using a combination of quiet ways, country lanes, byways and bridleways the route is designed to be manageable by anyone of reasonable fitness on most types of bike."

https://www.cyclinguk.org/press-release ... route-kent
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
simonhill

Re: Cantii Way

Post by simonhill »

I was going to post about this but couldn't get the picture to copy and then went out to dinner.

Sounds good, but....

I was given a link by Mr Google to the Kent newspaper which was publicising it. The lead photo was of a youngish couple wheeling their bikes over a row of sleepers on a gravel beach.

This is meant to be a cycle route but the papers idea of it is a walk across a beach.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Sounds interesting Do you @ Gaz think it has potential and I assume it avoids the lorry parks.
I was in Kent a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised to discover quiet lanes within a stones throw of the busy A2
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

I've just read the article.

Is there a better map of the route?

Jonathan
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

I think the full route details will be published in May.
gaz

Post by gaz »

simonhill wrote: 16 Mar 2022, 10:53pmI was given a link by Mr Google to the Kent newspaper which was publicising it. The lead photo was of a youngish couple wheeling their bikes over a row of sleepers on a gravel beach.

This is meant to be a cycle route but the papers idea of it is a walk across a beach.
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/ ... nt-264009/
I've no idea whether the images were chosen by Cycling UK or Kent Messenger, either way stopping to take a break on the beach is part of the fun.
Jdsk wrote: 7 Apr 2022, 7:58amIs there a better map of the route?
Cycling UK tends towards GPX files, I don't know what's planned but I doubt we'll see anything before the launch date.

Sometime since Zulu Eleven last posted, he is usually well informed about these matters.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Looking at those images it looks to include many of the locations that we visited in 2019. If you can't wait for the official launch here's a brief summary of our route:

We cycled from a friend's place near Paddock Wood to Dungeness and Followed NCN2 across Romney Marsh to Hythe and along the coast to Folkestone. At Dover we joined NCN1 and followed it all the way to Sandwich where it heads inland to Canterbury. We instead continued north along the coast to pick up regional route 15 (The Viking Way) at Cliffs End and follow it anticlockwise around the North Foreland to Whitstable. From Whitstable the Crab and Winkle way took us to Canterbury where we joined route 18 on a delightful ride alongside the river to Chartam, and beyond to Wye and Ashford. We made our way back to PW from Ashford but it would be easy enough to continue south to Appledore and Dungeness to complete the circuit.

Route 18 passes right by Ashford International station which would make an ideal starting point for this tour.
Last edited by Norman H on 10 Apr 2022, 7:07am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thankyou.

That will keep me planning happily until the launch.

: - )

Jonathan
sjs

Post by sjs »

Will one be allowed to ride it using other kinds of brakes?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

Jonathan
gaz

Post by gaz »

Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Very good idea, lots of interesting things in Kent.

As an apprentice skinflint, I use CycleStreets, because it is excellent and costs no money.

Is this likely to materialise on CycleStreets as a highlighted route, or at least the bits that aren’t already there as something else?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Nearholmer wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 8:43pm Is this likely to materialise on CycleStreets as a highlighted route, or at least the bits that aren’t already there as something else?
Only if it's signed. Cycle Streets is based on Open Street Map, which aims to represent what's in the real world.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Ah, I see, not if not signposted.

Thanks.

Possibly just me, but most signposted cycling routes are like riddles if not backed by map, preferably on-screen, because signposting is sporadic. Not a complaint, because I realise how posting even little stickers at the density needed for ‘sign only’ navigation would be a practical impossibility.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Nearholmer wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 7:25am Possibly just me, but most signposted cycling routes are like riddles if not backed by map, preferably on-screen, because signposting is sporadic. Not a complaint, because I realise how posting even little stickers at the density needed for ‘sign only’ navigation would be a practical impossibility.
And yet volunteers post them at that density (4 per turn, 2 per straight through junction) in several countries. Sustrans now also seem to be aiming for that, after years of trying to make do with half that number and using sideways -facing signs.

The big problem is vandalism by bike-haters, closely followed by government negligence allowing signposts to get grown over, or rust out and fall over. Some volunteer groups have made their markings less obvious to reduce vandalism, such as Belgium's Rando-Velo, but of course that makes them less useful to riders who don't know the code.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.