after hip replacement - handlebars?

wearwell

after hip replacement - handlebars?

Post by wearwell »

Recovering from hip replacement. Advised to get straight bars to avoid bending too far.
Any advice/suggestions on what to put on my Dawes Galaxy and Spa Audax bikes, and what to avoid?
molly

Re: after hip replacement - handlebars?

Post by molly »

Why not just fit a riser stem?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Have you been back on the bikes yet?

Jonathan
peterb

Post by peterb »

Ride on the tops. You don't have to use the drops. I bought an angled-up stem after hip replacement.
Rod Goodfellow

Post by Rod Goodfellow »

I had a Charnley hip replacement age 52 in 1992. I continued to race ,tour and commute with no change to bike configuration- and still do so. This was approved by my surgeon-the professor of hip replacement surgery at Wrightington Hospital..No problems so far. I should add that I am also medically qualified and also played badminton 2x a week at club level till 1999 when eyesight began to fail.
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

Thanks for replies. No I haven't been back on the bike yet I'm only 6 weeks on. I'm also 77 and a bit more fragile than I was. It seems the hazard is in sudden movements and twists, perhaps if I fell off, and straight bars perhaps give more secure grip?
I'll have a go soonish on a bit of flat trail.
peterb

Post by peterb »

I did have a problem caused by sudden twisting/squatting too soon after my THR - but nothing bike related - more grandchild related! My replacement was just over 5 years ago at age of 69. I used a turbo initially, with bars higher by using a stem with a 30 degree rise. It didn't take too long before I was back to my pre THR position and now there is little or no difference in flexibility between my 'good' hip and the replacement - if anything my consultant tells me the range of movement in the replacement is better!
Last edited by peterb on 19 Mar 2022, 2:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, twists are better avoided, but will get safer as the muscle recovers and builds up.

That means that mounting and dismounting may need more care than riding. And possibly a different technique.

If it's going to be some time before you're riding again then I suggest thinking about some alternative exercise. Have you got a physiotherapist with whom you can discuss this?

Jonathan
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

Having had a dynamic hip screw put in to repair a fracture to the head of the femur after having an "off" on black ice, my advice would be to leave your bike alone and focus of getting the full range of movement back into the joint.

My NHS physios were next to useless providing little more than a printed sheet but I researched suitable exercises online. I then did a session of stretching and lifting four hours and was back riding on drop bars within 12 weeks.

Good luck.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

Rightho. Will proceed with caution and perhaps not touch the bike until 12 weeks is up.
Am into brisk walking 5km or so, including steep hills, stiles, etc. No aches and pains but feel weak and must recover strength. Seems good so far!
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

Post hip op and arthritis.
Any recommendations for on-line leg stretching exercises - particularly for getting leg over (the bike that is)?
Currently have to lay it down, step over and lift it up. Reverse for dismounting.
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

I'm on the case! NHS site https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-fitne ... beginners/
Could be just what I need for starters.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

wearwell wrote: 17 May 2022, 9:28am Post hip op and arthritis.
Any recommendations for on-line leg stretching exercises - particularly for getting leg over (the bike that is)?
Currently have to lay it down, step over and lift it up. Reverse for dismounting.
wearwell wrote: 19 May 2022, 6:47pm I'm on the case! NHS site https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-fitne ... beginners/
Could be just what I need for starters.
Do you have access to physiotherapy advice?

Jonathan
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

Jdsk wrote: 19 May 2022, 7:13pm.....

Jonathan
Yes but at £40 an hour, or wait 3 months or so for NHS.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

wearwell wrote: 19 May 2022, 8:17pm
Jdsk wrote: 19 May 2022, 7:13pm.....
Yes but at £40 an hour, or wait 3 months or so for NHS.
Thanks.

I'd hope that you could get advice without a physical appointment. That's improved enormously during the outbreak. It might be worth asking the orthopaedic unit.

Jonathan