Wild Camping in Grave yard. Would ya, should ya, could ya

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Steve X

Wild Camping in Grave yard. Would ya, should ya, could ya

Post by Steve X »

Out for a ride today and came across a Burial Ground. I was the grave yard for a Church that was demolished in 1957 IIRC, and the last interment was in 1979.
Its well placed for a 2 day tour I am thinking of, and one could camp there well out of sight of any road or houses. I know that Wild Camping is not legal in England, but ignoring that;

Would you, on a moral basis.
Should you, on a moral basis.
Could you, in case the walking dead arose and ate your face off.

I asked my wife and she said she would in that particular one, arrive late, leave early, who are you going to upset?
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Wild Camping in Grave yard. Would ya, should ya, could ya

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yeh, arrive late and leave early.

Do you think dog walkers worry :P
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The great majority of those arriving late don't leave
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

The dead centre of a village does tend to be close to the pub.
So it's a short stagger back to your tent.

Luck ........... :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

When I have I've always had a quiet night
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

Steve X wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 8:17pm Out for a ride today and came across a Burial Ground. I was the grave yard for a Church that was demolished in 1957 IIRC, and the last interment was in 1979.
Its well placed for a 2 day tour I am thinking of, and one could camp there well out of sight of any road or houses. I know that Wild Camping is not legal in England, but ignoring that;

Would you, on a moral basis.
Should you, on a moral basis.
Could you, in case the walking dead arose and ate your face off.

I asked my wife and she said she would in that particular one, arrive late, leave early, who are you going to upset?
You ask the right question at the end, there. If you think about it and the answer you come to is that you are not going to upset anyone, the main objection is gone. And as you say, do it in a stealthy way just to be sure.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Funnily enough I was talking to a chum on Friday and he described how he used to go and sit in a graveyard and enjoy the peace and quiet, back when he lived in Stoke, the reason being that it was one of the nicer parts of town. :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I often stop for lunch in graveyards because there are usually a few benches.

I have thought they would be good place to overnight, but as I rarely camp, I've not done it.

When I cycled the WW1 Front, I considered sleeping one night in a British Cemetery as a sort of mark of respect and camaraderie with the fallen. In the end I didn't. I imagine I would have got a mixed response, some agreeing, some thinking it desecration, sacrilege, whatever.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
thirdcrank wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 8:43pm The great majority of those arriving late don't leave
I do!
But I would probably not pick it as a first choice. behind the wall if there was one, not particularly between the gravestones :P
I have in the past spent over an hour walking around off road in the rain to find a flat spot big enough for a one man tent, just not flat and getting dark and very Stoney......found by chance a spot.

Its never going to go down well if you talk about it.
Is the burial ground walled?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Sorry. (If a joke needs explaining it's not funny.)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I can see how the subject might seem, to some, a trifle macabre, however back when I did more touring of northern France by bike, I had a couple of close shaves with respect to finding digs for the night and it occured to me to develop a Plan B, which entailed exactly the situation posed by the OP.
The pluses I imagined are thus: there's a church / cemetery in every town of any size, right across northern France; there's nearly always a mains water tap somewhere in the cemetery; there's plenty of nooks & crannies to discretely pop a tent up in - and if the weather was really inclement, I figured there'd be shelter in the doorway.
And if all else fails and the guest is disturbed by unexpected staff, one could always call upon their Christian kindness for assistance in finding suitable lodgings...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

My son got told off by someone for reading in a graveyard. It was disrespectful apparently.

I’d check the state of the graves. If any are tended, I’d stay clear. If it is obviously abandoned, go for it. A tourer I have watched on YT used a church porch. Worth thinking about.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
thirdcrank wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 11:31am Sorry. (If a joke needs explaining it's not funny.)
:wink:
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

Thanks for the replies, it sounds like I have the correct approach, but it would be a last choice.

I wonder how other cultures would see it, in the west, we are a bit disconnected with our dead, but in some eastern cultures the ancestors are still part of society/ the family.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Well I'm obviously swimming against the tide here in that I find it distasteful to even consider it. Whether there anyone left who knew the inhabitants it still represents a life that was once in this earth. I don't think I'm explaining myself very well but suffice to say I view it as a form of desecration.

It reminds me of an online discussion about a traveller from Peru who was going round the world performing new age sun worshipping n ceremonies claiming to be practising the religion of his inca ancestry. The debate was specifically about castlerigg stone circle. He wanted to perform a solstice sunrise ceremony in the centre while a few fairy worshippers watched on. The guardians objected so the neighbouring farmer let him carry it out in the field next door. A fire and stupid dancing by all accounts. A lot on the forum agreed that since the site was v possibly religious and nobody knew the practises it was wrong to carry out yours on their site. Like carrying out a satanist ceremony in Canterbury cathedral. Cue a fair few new members with their first post in support of the guy. With screen names like rainbowfairychild. It was quite funny how they claimed to be all the same religion and other new age rubbish.

Sorry if that's too disrespectful of new age religions. I think modern made up religions are fair game for ridicule if they claim more than just being someone's fantasy.

Anyway, back on topic I have always had a higher than normal sense of respect for graveyards / cemeteries. Indeed burial grounds of all kinds. Just because nobody living knows the people whose remains were put there doesn't change anything for me. It is however a personal choice. I'd rather kip somewhere else. I've even once kipped in a cowshed on a raised and mostly clean patch of concrete. There is probably somewhere else in the neighbourhood if you just got there and looked around, even asked someone.