Wild Camping in Grave yard. Would ya, should ya, could ya

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Wild Camping in Grave yard. Would ya, should ya, could ya

Post by Sweep »

gbnz wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 6:02pm
Sweep wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 2:59pm adapting the arrive late/leave early general advice on freecamping - arrive extra late/leave extra early.
+ 1. I'd have no issue with churchyard camping, other than the fact that there's a good chance one would be disturbed. A fairly wild bit of woodland or if desperate, well out of sight in a field would be my choice.
+1 on woodland.
doesn't have to be a big bit at all of course - in fact a sliver bit of woodland is less likely to be attractive to/frequented by folks up to other stuff - dogwalking etc.
sometimes it's best to be (almost) in plain sight (says someone who once camped on a grit tennis court)
Sweep
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Slight thread drift...
Dartmoor wild camping?
This exposure of what's really behind the ban came up on my YT feed:- https://youtu.be/vmPIg7wY0Uk
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

reohn2 wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 11:23am Slight thread drift...
Dartmoor wild camping?
This exposure of what's really behind the ban came up on my YT feed:- https://youtu.be/vmPIg7wY0Uk
That's one view of a situation which becomes ever more complex (legally, historically, politically) the more you delve into it. See thread drift on the Dartmoor Cycling Ban thread (under Campaigning) for a recent discussion here touching on just a few of the many dimensions.
viewtopic.php?t=148440
Whatever the rights and wrongs, the case does seem to be having the unintended consequence of reinvigorating the general countryside access debate, which has become rather stagnant in England/Wales since the CROW Act. Questions and motions in Parliament, Labour announcing intended formal policy - all at a time when there's no shortage of political open goals.