Ken Robertson (belated) RIP

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
NATURAL ANKLING

Ken Robertson (belated) RIP

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Ken also Passed away a few months back.
He knew Colin very well and he was always in his shop back in the day.
I think he was more time trialist so I'm not sure he was ever a pro?
A great organiser in Devon for the mid Devon Road club and of course Dartmoor classic sportif amongst other things.
Neither Colin or Ken I knew particularly very well apart from the fact I was just a passing figure in his shop, though Ken I worked in the same office as him when he was at STC Paignton, when I was an apprentice.
https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/articles/view/751
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
simonineaston

Re: Ken Robertson (belated) RIP

Post by simonineaston »

Did Ken ever make frames, or sell frames under his name? I only ask 'cos I had a conventional DF bike once and the name seems familiar.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
simonineaston wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 11:50am Did Ken ever make frames, or sell frames under his name? I only ask 'cos I had a conventional DF bike once and the name seems familiar.
I don't know, never heard of such.
GedBen

Post by GedBen »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 2:22pm Hi,
simonineaston wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 11:50am Did Ken ever make frames, or sell frames under his name? I only ask 'cos I had a conventional DF bike once and the name seems familiar.
I don't know, never heard of such.
Ken was an amateur time-trialist and held positions as secretary of both British Cycling and CTT in the SW regions. He was a stickler for the rules (except, notoriously, in the events he ran). He put a few backs up over the years, but all told he did an awful lot for cycling in SW.
Both Ken and Colin had lost their wives in the last years before they died. Both are well-remembered in Mid-Devon CC and the SW generally.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Sad news. Ken on one occasion refused my race entry on the day as I had forgotten to bring my licence. At the last minute he allowed me in and I was so fired up I attacked on the climb at Dean Prior got away taking a 3 rd place finish. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I was never in a cycling club (I am now, CTC :? :mrgreen: :lol: ) so I did not come across Ken very often apart from later on in his life when he would sometimes pass me going the other way / he was leading MD cycling club and I would put my head down so to get his team to go single file :mrgreen: It normally worked :)
Came across him a few times local on the way home, he lived in torbay for a long time I think and so did I, so we bumped into each other on occasions.
I was an apprentice in his office at STC Paignton, but I doubt he would remember me with long hair back then.
Like said he was a stalwart at organisation in MD CC.