GT 85 - What To Use It For And What Not

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LancsGirl

Re: GT 85 - What To Use It For And What Not

Post by LancsGirl »

I'm fairly sure it's one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

I'm going for tu quoque.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There are those who've lost all sense of perspective on the issue.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I use GT85 and a couple of fresh tyres to make my house smell like a bike shop.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Jdsk wrote: 9 May 2022, 2:36pm I don't see this as a single set of alternative choices across uses and therefore priority between uses doesn't come to it. I see it as multiple uses where I must make a choice for each. I try to make the least polluting choice for each.

I don't need PTFE in my general purpose light lubricant and therefore I choose a product which doesn't contain it. What I use as eg medium grease doesn't affect that choice of what I use as general purpose light lubricant.

Jonathan
That’s mostly my take on things too. On the other hand there’s always a degree of pragmatism and relativity in our choices and I think that that is what reohn2 is putting forward. GT 85 is doubtless cheap and effective enough but I can easily choose other products instead of it (wd40 and singer machine oil) which do a good job for me and any cost difference is effectively trivial. Most of all I prefer to limit my use of aerosols, making pragmatic green choices where I can, and, of course, aerosol cans products are usually more expensive than the alternatives so on principle - if not financial pragmatism - I think that another good reason to limit their use.

It seems to me that the thread has drifted a long way from the original post and that, environmental points having now been made, we’d all be better served by returning towards the OP.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Carlton green wrote: 10 May 2022, 8:04am
Jdsk wrote: 9 May 2022, 2:36pm I don't see this as a single set of alternative choices across uses and therefore priority between uses doesn't come to it. I see it as multiple uses where I must make a choice for each. I try to make the least polluting choice for each.

I don't need PTFE in my general purpose light lubricant and therefore I choose a product which doesn't contain it. What I use as eg medium grease doesn't affect that choice of what I use as general purpose light lubricant.

Jonathan
That’s mostly my take on things too. On the other hand there’s always a degree of pragmatism and relativity in our choices and I think that that is what reohn2 is putting forward. GT 85 is doubtless cheap and effective enough but I can easily choose other products instead of it (wd40 and singer machine oil) which do a good job for me and any cost difference is effectively trivial. Most of all I prefer to limit my use of aerosols, making pragmatic green choices where I can, and, of course, aerosol cans products are usually more expensive than the alternatives so on principle I think that another good reason to limit their use.

It seems to me that the thread has drifted a long way from the original post and that, environmental points having now been made, we’d all be better served by returning towards the OP.
I find WD40 has it's uses as an oil,GT85 is different in that it doesn't leave an oily residue and has many more uses because of that some of which I've mentioned near the beginning of this thread.

I agree the thread has drifted,thread drift happens,sometimes for more spurious reasons from some quarters,though it's water of a freshly GT85 treated item for my part :wink:
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

reohn2 wrote: 9 May 2022, 12:27pm mattheus
You don't have any useful information or guidance,so I'd be struggling on that point.
If you'll stop trapsing round the houses and playing silly childish games I'd be willing to listen.
Well that told me!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Carlton green wrote: 10 May 2022, 8:04am

Jonathan
That’s mostly my take on things too.
Same here.

(and the more I know about the contents of products, their benefits, their harms, the better positioned I am to make choices).
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

I find WD40 has it's uses as an oil,GT85 is different in that it doesn't leave an oily residue and has many more uses because of that some of which I've mentioned near the beginning of this thread.
As part of exploring the uses of GT85 it would interesting to compare its properties to those of WD40. I think that both products are made by the same company. I find WD40 useful, but for lubrication only there are usually better products.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Carlton green wrote: 10 May 2022, 8:39am
As part of exploring the uses of GT85 it would interesting to compare its properties to those of WD40. I think that both products are made by the same company. I find WD40 useful, but for lubrication only there are usually better products.
I don't think there's any PTFE in WD40,which is the main complaint people some on this thread have about GT85.
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

LancsGirl wrote: 9 May 2022, 10:10pm I'm fairly sure it's one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

I'm going for tu quoque.
Yes, I think you're right!
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

For those that have the skills to use them (I haven’t) here’s a couple of data sheets:
https://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/GT85%20Aerosol.pdf
https://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/44010A.pdf

As in an earlier post the same company manufactures both products … and some of their competitors too.

Tu quoque ('you too' – appeal to hypocrisy, whataboutism) – stating that a position is false, wrong, or should be disregarded because its proponent fails to act consistently in accordance with it.[106]

Very interesting and educational too, but surely it’s time to move on, please.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There's one or two wind up merchants on this thread,sooner or later their spring will break! :lol: :lol: :lol:
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

reohn2 wrote: 10 May 2022, 9:59am There's one or two wind up merchants on this thread,sooner or later their spring will break! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are they self-winding?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote: 10 May 2022, 10:08am
reohn2 wrote: 10 May 2022, 9:59am There's one or two wind up merchants on this thread,sooner or later their spring will break! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are they self-winding?

Currently out for a ride,it's a bit windy,reminds me of someone :)
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Without wanting to drag back contentious aspects of GT85, there was a BBC Radio documentary program about PFAS back in March this year
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00159zr
Downloadable so you don't need iPlayer or sounds or anything. Title "Britain's Dark Waters". 30 min program.

Edit: Interesting aspect (in UK) is how many of these chemicals are in fire fighting stuff and how firemen are suffering very high levels of exposure and potential impacts (I guess difficult to prove that any condition is caused by PFAS).

Ian