GT 85 - What To Use It For And What Not

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: GT 85 - What To Use It For And What Not

Post by reohn2 »

I also spray electrics with it to protect them from the elements
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Where does the PTFE in the spray end up? Does it add microplastic pollution to the environment?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

MikeF wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 4:32pm Where does the PTFE in the spray end up? Does it add microplastic pollution to the environment?
In the environment. I don't know the particle size.

This is one of the reasons that I don't use it. But I'm following the discussion with interest.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

And of course no one ever wears synthetic clothing washing them in an electric washing machine using detergent to clean them
Never used a plastic bottle or plastic whatever,for whatever?
Plastic windows?
Plastic parts on your car or bike?
Plastic in your phones or laptops etc?
Or the many other plastics you've never even considered or thought about.
Plastic packaging anyone???????
C'mon chaps is this the best you can do?
W H Auden
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Also great for filthy,oily hands ,loosens the filth,wipe off, then stardrops to finish.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

cyclop wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 7:52am Also great for filthy,oily hands ,loosens the filth,wipe off, then stardrops to finish.
Have you tried sand and olive oil for really dirty hands?
Works a treat and leaves hands silky smooth too :)
W H Auden
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

I use it mainly on the chain after washing to disperse the water, prior to formal lubricating.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

the other day i was tinkering with my recumbent, and got chain oil on my Decathlon over shorts, a sort of buff/black colour. So I sprayed the oil with GT85 and wiped it with a clean cloth. A few times and the oil was gone.
wheelyhappy99

Post by wheelyhappy99 »

I haven't used GT85, but vaguely remembered this thread when I went into Aldi very recently, so had a look at a can. It's contents include some PFAS compounds, often called 'forever chemicals' because they don't break down. Ever, according to scientists who know more than me, and are reported to have serious toxic effects.
They have been found in the chalk aquifers supplying water to villages in Cambridgeshire, and the water company say there's no way of removing them. Then today I saw a report that millions of acres of US farmland have been contaminated with sludge containing PFAS, to the point that some fields have been shut down.
Not on my shopping list after all
Janwal

Post by Janwal »

I know a lot of people say it’s a no no and I’ll probably get shouted down but I’ve used it as chain lube for a number of years on my road bikes. I started using it after talking to a bike rental shop in Majorca that we use told me that it’s all they use and their stuff is doing a lot more miles than I do.
Wipe the chain before each ride and apply. It keeps the chain a lot cleaner than normal lubes and cassette is a lot less dirty after a ride and I’m getting excellent mileage out of them.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

wheelyhappy99 wrote: 8 May 2022, 8:21pm I haven't used GT85, but vaguely remembered this thread when I went into Aldi very recently, so had a look at a can. It's contents include some PFAS compounds, often called 'forever chemicals' because they don't break down. Ever, according to scientists who know more than me, and are reported to have serious toxic effects.
They have been found in the chalk aquifers supplying water to villages in Cambridgeshire, and the water company say there's no way of removing them. Then today I saw a report that millions of acres of US farmland have been contaminated with sludge containing PFAS, to the point that some fields have been shut down.
I've just looked on a GT85 can and can't see any mention of PFAS,only PTFE I've also looked on the company's information sheet and can't see any mention of it there either.
Last edited by reohn2 on 8 May 2022, 9:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 8 May 2022, 9:20pm
wheelyhappy99 wrote: 8 May 2022, 8:21pm I haven't used GT85, but vaguely remembered this thread when I went into Aldi very recently, so had a look at a can. It's contents include some PFAS compounds, often called 'forever chemicals' because they don't break down. Ever, according to scientists who know more than me, and are reported to have serious toxic effects.
I've just looked on a can and can't see anything of PFAS,I've also looked on the company's information sheet and can't see any mention of it either.
GT85 contains PTFE. The environmental impact means that I don't use it.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 8 May 2022, 9:22pm GT85 contains PTFE. The environmental impact means that I don't use it.

Jonathan
Your choice.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

FWIW I've just skim read the Wikki page on PTFE and can't see anything particularly ecologically adverse in relation to it.
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 8 May 2022, 10:09pm FWIW I've just skim read the Wikki page on PTFE and can't see anything particularly ecologically adverse in relation to it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetra ... cotoxicity

Jonathan