GT 85 - What To Use It For And What Not

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
wheelyhappy99

Re: GT 85 - What To Use It For And What Not

Post by wheelyhappy99 »

I hadn't anticipated yet another angry response to my last post. Yes, I mean yours, reohn.

Of course I and my family are exposed to other pollutants. That's precisely the point. We all share the same world and are affected by the decisions of others as well as our own.

Two relatives have died as the result of exposure to harmful products, asbestos and trichloroethane before their effects were proven. Here's a link to a summary of health effects of PFAS:
https://www.eea.europa.eu/signals/signa ... ealth/view

I'd rather avoid unnecessary contact with chemicals that might increase the risk of those effects happening to me or others. I don't expect to be insulted for my judgement in reaching that decision.

I'm enjoying touring in an area with limited connectivity, which is infinitely preferable to dealing with people who don't seem to be able to cope with others having looked at information and reaching a different view.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

wheelyhappy99 wrote: 12 May 2022, 6:25am I hadn't anticipated yet another angry response to my last post. Yes, I mean yours, reohn.

Of course I and my family are exposed to other pollutants. That's precisely the point. We all share the same world and are affected by the decisions of others as well as our own.

Two relatives have died as the result of exposure to harmful products, asbestos and trichloroethane before their effects were proven. Here's a link to a summary of health effects of PFAS:
https://www.eea.europa.eu/signals/signa ... ealth/view

I'd rather avoid unnecessary contact with chemicals that might increase the risk of those effects happening to me or others. I don't expect to be insulted for my judgement in reaching that decision.

I'm enjoying touring in an area with limited connectivity, which is infinitely preferable to dealing with people who don't seem to be able to cope with others having looked at information and reaching a different view.
Where did I insult you?

I my reply to you I was trying to put the use of GT85 as a water displacer in perspective,in that the small amounts of of it used have no detrimental effects on the planet or the user compared to the many other pollutants being used on a much more harmful and larger scale.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

reohn2 wrote: 9 May 2022, 9:00pm
wheelyhappy99 wrote: 9 May 2022, 6:57pm I didn't intend to start a row here. Just to alert people to the reported risks associated with the contents. Personally, I don't wish to expose myself or my family to the reported effects of this class of chemicals unnecessarily.
And just how much harm do you think exposing you and your family to 'these chemicals' would do?

Do you and your family expose yourselves to exhaust fumes on a daily basis?
What harm do think they are doing to you and your family?
I'd bet far more than an occasional squirt of GT85 on your bike!
It's planks and specks!
Where did I insult you?
Well, as I read it it’s not exactly a passive response. Of course, as with all written responses, the tone intended by the author might not be the same as perceived by the reader. I actually agree with both sides: I don’t like to knowingly expose myself to hazards, even remote ones, or take unnecessary risks, but I also accept that a sense of proportion and perspective is good.

Edit. Plus one to hoogerbooger’s comment below.
Last edited by Carlton green on 12 May 2022, 8:38am, edited 3 times in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

As people do not tend to change their view when they are shouted at/ essentially told they are wrong.....there is no point continuing this thread.

I think both sides of the argument have been made. So perhaps we can leave it like that and come back next week on something else.
old fangled
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hoogerbooger wrote: 12 May 2022, 8:26am As people do not tend to change their view when they are shouted at/ essentially told they are wrong.....there is no point continuing this thread.

I think both sides of the argument have been made. So perhaps we can leave it like that and come back next week on something else.
FWIW I agree I made my point early on in the thread,but there's a wind up merchant evident on the thread(and who pops up on other threads too).
My mistake was rising to the bait.

But I've not shouted,degraded or insulted anyone,just attempted to put the issue some people have with GT85 into perpective.
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

hoogerbooger wrote: 12 May 2022, 8:26am As people do not tend to change their view when they are shouted at/ essentially told they are wrong.....
True.
What is rather sad is the tantrum thrown when simple facts are posted that don't perfectly align with someone's view.
Why not just take those facts on board, and use as you please? Why turn the thread into a 1-man rant about how his world view is so superior to anyone else's?

Can we club together and buy him a newspaper column??
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Carlton green wrote: 12 May 2022, 8:22am
reohn2 wrote: 9 May 2022, 9:00pm
wheelyhappy99 wrote: 9 May 2022, 6:57pm I didn't intend to start a row here. Just to alert people to the reported risks associated with the contents. Personally, I don't wish to expose myself or my family to the reported effects of this class of chemicals unnecessarily.
And just how much harm do you think exposing you and your family to 'these chemicals' would do?

Do you and your family expose yourselves to exhaust fumes on a daily basis?
What harm do think they are doing to you and your family?
I'd bet far more than an occasional squirt of GT85 on your bike!
It's planks and specks!
Where did I insult you?
Well, as I read it it’s not exactly a passive response. Of course, as with all written responses, the tone intended by the author might not be the same as perceived by the reader. I actually agree with both sides: I don’t like to knowingly expose myself to hazards, even remote ones, or take unnecessary risks, but I also accept that a sense of proportion and perspective is good.

Edit. Plus one to hoogerbooger’s comment below.
Not it wasn't a passive response,it was a balanced response by a drawn conclusion to another much more harmful pollutant used everyday by almost everyone.
I've insulted no one just put a point forward.

After 15 years on the forum which I've enjoyed until recently,I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that I'm no longer welcome on the forum by certain people.
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Incidentally, I'm COSHH-trained to assess (and mitigate) the dangers of chemicals in the workplace.

I don't recall anyone saying "not dangerous - look at that other dodgy stuff we also use!"

Or perhaps I fell asleep during that part of the training course? Oh well, I guess I'll never know ...
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Not it wasn't a passive response,it was a balanced response by a drawn conclusion to another much more harmful pollutant used everyday by almost everyone.
I've insulted no one just put a point forward.

After 15 years on the forum which I've enjoyed until recently,I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that I'm no longer welcome on the forum by certain people.
I don’t think that you’ve wilfully upset anyone. As for wind-up and welcome here it’s down to you how you respond to such things. In recent months the forum has lost some good voices, I might not have have always agreed with their comments but I still feel that this place is reduced without them.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
LancsGirl

GT85 vs WD40 as chain cleaner

Post by LancsGirl »

Back to the subject, ish.

My current chain maintenance "routine" is something like this:

After each ride (depending how long) I spray WD40 or GT85 into some sort of rag. I don't soak it, just create an area impregnated with the stuff. I run the chain through the rag, being careful to hold it against the side plates, and then against the top and bottom surfaces. The idea is to remove exterior oil, along with the dirt that has stuck to it.

Then I run the chain through a clean bit of the same rag, to remove remnants of WD40/GT85.

Leave bike a bit, for solvents to evaporate.

Sometime later, oil chain. In fact I'll try to make a point of rotating the chain through half it's travel and leaving it there. So that oil will have permeated downwards and inwards (hopefully) along the full length.

Which would be best to do the initial cleaning? WD40 or GT85. I usually use whichever is nearest, which is usually WD40 as I seem to have more of that.

Thanks.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Lancsgirl, if you use a pretty liquid oil on the chain anyway, can't you skip the gt85, just wipe off old oil and debris that should come with it?
That's what i do at the mo, then reoil, take bike for short run.
Weldtite performance oil nice and liquid, possibly the same as one of the wilco offerings.
Sweep
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

Sweep wrote: 13 May 2022, 9:22pm Lancsgirl, if you use a pretty liquid oil on the chain anyway, can't you skip the gt85, just wipe off old oil and debris that should come with it?
That's what i do at the mo, then reoil, take bike for short run.
Weldtite performance oil nice and liquid, possibly the same as one of the wilco offerings.
My thinking was that something a bit thinner, with some solvent properties (but not too much), might get the oil/dirt mixture off better. But I didn't want to spray the actual chain and wash the oil out that's hopefully on the inside bits, hence the running-it-through-a-rag approach.

Yes, I use a runny oil type thing. At the moment it's one of the Muc-off products I think. I seem to have accumulated lots of half used bike lubes. Rather than endless pondering about which is best, I'm just going to wait until I've used them all, then reconsider my chain care routine. I'm having a good look at waxing, but that won't be for a while, I've still got new chains and lots of lube to get through first.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The best way I've found of cleaning a chain in situ is with a Weldtite chain scrubber/bath fille dwith White Spirit(WS),run the chain through it by back pedalling.
Then run the chain through an old rag to remove any excess WS,the WS soaked rag can be used to clean crud off jockey wheels and cassette sprockets,leave for 10 minute to allow the WS to evaporate before relubing the chain.
Good thing about using WS is that any used remaining WS can be poured into a jam jar,with the lid on it can be topped up with more and let to settle(goes a bitter beer colour)then reused over and over in the scrubber/bath.

Weldtite scrubber:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125281427017 ... aWEALw_wcB
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

My experience with those chain scrubbers has not been good. I had one that had an extended arm which hooked behind the rear mech. It snapped off the second time of using it which meant having to hold it in use. It disintegrated soon after, maybe after approx 5 cleaning cycles. Perhaps I was unlucky and later versions are more durable without the risk of the plastic bath going brittle. What do forumites recommend.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rjb wrote: 14 May 2022, 1:23pm My experience with those chain scrubbers has not been good. I had one that had an extended arm which hooked behind the rear mech. It snapped off the second time of using it which meant having to hold it in use. It disintegrated soon after, maybe after approx 5 cleaning cycles. Perhaps I was unlucky and later versions are more durable without the risk of the plastic bath going brittle. What do forumites recommend.
That sounds like the Weldtite one I have,I've had mine about 20years,the top reservoir broke on mine when I dropped it but I've only ever filled the bottom reser with WS.
TBH I've never hooked it onto the mech,I just support it with one hand and back pedal with the other,a couple of revolutions of the chain through it cleans it great.
W H Auden