GT 85 - What To Use It For And What Not

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: GT 85 - What To Use It For And What Not

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 8 May 2022, 10:17pm
reohn2 wrote: 8 May 2022, 10:09pm FWIW I've just skim read the Wikki page on PTFE and can't see anything particularly ecologically adverse in relation to it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetra ... cotoxicity

Jonathan
I'm seeing nothing there that would make me stop using GT85 responsibly,and especially in the amounts most people use it which is minimal.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

reohn2 wrote: 8 May 2022, 11:49pm
Jdsk wrote: 8 May 2022, 10:17pm
reohn2 wrote: 8 May 2022, 10:09pm FWIW I've just skim read the Wikki page on PTFE and can't see anything particularly ecologically adverse in relation to it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetra ... cotoxicity

Jonathan
I'm seeing nothing there that would make me stop using GT85 responsibly,and especially in the amounts most people use it which is minimal.
Whilst some people will take a different view. Either way, the information is useful in making these decisions.
I don't know why someone would get so riled-up about information being posted on a thread ...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote: 9 May 2022, 9:48am Whilst some people will take a different view. Either way, the information is useful in making these decisions.
I don't know why someone would get so riled-up about information being posted on a thread ...
If you mean me?
Well for reasons posted up thread no one is inoccent,for people to say I don't use GT85 because ingredients in it pollutes the environment is a laughable concept in the context that there are far worse pollutants being used everyday by those same people and if they deny it they're deluded.
Furthermore when people say they only wear natural fibres and hand wash them,I immediately become very sceptical about their honesty.

As I've posted before we can all play the eco warrior,but let s/he who is without sin cast the first stone!
W H Auden
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mattheus wrote: 9 May 2022, 9:48am
Whilst some people will take a different view. Either way, the information is useful in making these decisions.
please point out the info in that quoted wiki link which means that it shouldn't be used by cyclists.
Sweep
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Sweep wrote: 9 May 2022, 10:06am

please point out the info in that quoted wiki link which means that it shouldn't be used by cyclists.
Was I not clear? My words look pretty clear. The info is there, digest and/or use as you see fit.
Some will use GT85, some will not - I have not (yet) proposed locking up reohn2, whatever his pollution decisions.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote: 9 May 2022, 10:13am ...... - I have not (yet) proposed locking up reohn2, whatever his pollution decisions.
No but you unreasonably just love to take pot shots at me whenever you get the opportunity :lol: :lol: :lol:
W H Auden
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mattheus wrote: 9 May 2022, 10:13am
Sweep wrote: 9 May 2022, 10:06am
Was I not clear? My words look pretty clear. The info is there, digest and/or use as you see fit.
Some will use GT85, some will not - I have not (yet) proposed locking up reohn2, whatever his pollution decisions.
well I'll await someone else pointing to the relevant info in the link then.

Declaration - i do use GT85.

Mostly on mech pivots, cables, to help clean debris from chainrings and jockeywheels etc.
Sweep
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

reohn2 wrote: 9 May 2022, 10:18am
mattheus wrote: 9 May 2022, 10:13am ...... - I have not (yet) proposed locking up reohn2, whatever his pollution decisions.
No but you unreasonably just love to take pot shots at me whenever you get the opportunity :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope you find some of my information and guidance useful.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Many (most?) greases and lubricants marketed for cycling contain PTFE, e.g. most of Finish Line's range, Weldtite TF2 grease etc. Moreover they will probably contain far larger quantities of PTFE than GT85, which is principally a solvent rather than a lubricant. If teflon is so environmentally harmful, not using it in actual lubricants would seem to be a far higher priority.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus
You don't have any useful information or guidance,so I'd be struggling on that point.
If you'll stop trapsing round the houses and playing silly childish games I'd be willing to listen.
Last edited by reohn2 on 9 May 2022, 12:43pm, edited 3 times in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

slowster wrote: 9 May 2022, 12:01pm Many (most?) greases and lubricants marketed for cycling contain PTFE, e.g. most of Finish Line's range, Weldtite TF2 grease etc. Moreover they will probably contain far larger quantities of PTFE than GT85, which is principally a solvent rather than a lubricant. If teflon is so environmentally harmful, not using it in actual lubricants would seem to be a far higher priority.
A voice of reason in a world of pretence.
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 4:35pm
MikeF wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 4:32pm Where does the PTFE in the spray end up? Does it add microplastic pollution to the environment?
In the environment. I don't know the particle size.

This is one of the reasons that I don't use it. But I'm following the discussion with interest.
Good points. How well does the Green Oil alternative perform?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I don't see this as a single set of alternative choices across uses and therefore priority between uses doesn't come to it. I see it as multiple uses where I must make a choice for each. I try to make the least polluting choice for each.

I don't need PTFE in my general purpose light lubricant and therefore I choose a product which doesn't contain it. What I use as eg medium grease doesn't affect that choice of what I use as general purpose light lubricant.

Jonathan
wheelyhappy99

Post by wheelyhappy99 »

I didn't intend to start a row here. Just to alert people to the reported risks associated with the contents. Personally, I don't wish to expose myself or my family to the reported effects of this class of chemicals unnecessarily.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

wheelyhappy99 wrote: 9 May 2022, 6:57pm I didn't intend to start a row here. Just to alert people to the reported risks associated with the contents. Personally, I don't wish to expose myself or my family to the reported effects of this class of chemicals unnecessarily.
And just how much harm do you think exposing you and your family to 'these chemicals' would do?

Do you and your family expose yourselves to exhaust fumes on a daily basis?
What harm do think they are doing to you and your family?
I'd bet far more than an occasional squirt of GT85 on your bike!
It's planks and specks!
W H Auden