GT 85 - What To Use It For And What Not

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
simonhill

GT 85 - What To Use It For And What Not

Post by simonhill »

I regularly read people saying they use GT 85.

Today I made a compulsive purchase of a can and would like to know where to put it (on my bike rather than which shelf to store it).

I will continue to use White Lightning on my Chain.

Given that I haven't bought any other products it would be useful if people only address the GT 85 issue.

Ta
mjr

Re: GT 85 - What To Use It For And What Not

Post by mjr »

Water removal from chains, before putting the bike away, as long as oiled before next ride. Don't use near plastic seals or guards.

Quick squirts onto threads or clamps can temporarily quiet creaks, helping to trace which joint needs cleaning and redoing. Cheaper than proper penetrating oil.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mig

Post by mig »

derailleur pivot points.
cables and clamps.
brake pivots.
i sometimes use it on the frame itself as it helps to shed water in very wet conditions (although dust sticks to it.)
i use it on any bolts to help keep corrosion at bay.
seat pin bolt.

how much was the can by the way? it used to be cheap but i doubt that now.
rjb

Post by rjb »

At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I don't think that it's got much oil/lubricant in it. I base this opinion on this highly unscientific observation.

Go out on a wet ride and then (on your rim braked bike) blather the whole thing in GT85. The next day your rim brakes will STILL work perfectly.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I use it as a general purpose lubricant so things like brakes and mechs get a blast.

On one occasion I used it for a week whilst in holiday in Wales when I forgot my usual lube and needed it to keep the chain lubricated.
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

I can tell you what not to use it for - my wife’s solution for squeaky brakes was to spray it on the rim & brake blocks!

In addition to all the (useful) advice from others, I use it to lube the blades of my hedge trimmers and garden shears before and after use.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

In the past when I had a MTB with grips that slid onto the bars and didn't have a clamp like most do these days I used GT85 to hold the grips in place. I scoffed at the idea when I was told it worked and till I tried it I doubted it but after spraying a tiny amount into the grips then sliding them on the bars and leaving to dry the grips were holding strong.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I buy it in bulk and use it for most oiling needs, including chains (a brief spray before each ride).

I find it great for removing handlebar grips, slide a small screwdriver under the grip - slide the nozzle/tube in next to the srewdriver - quick squirt then twist the grip off
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

A little dab behind the ears keeps the mosquitoes away, and seems to make me attractive to the opposite sex.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Stradageek wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 8:38amI find it great for removing handlebar grips, slide a small screwdriver under the grip - slide the nozzle/tube in next to the srewdriver - quick squirt then twist the grip off
Well you can't get much more versatile than that - it holds handlebar grips on, and makes them easy to remove.
rjb

Post by rjb »

flat tyre wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 9:34am A little dab behind the ears keeps the mosquitoes away, and seems to make me attractive to the opposite sex.
Does it give you a buzz? :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

flat tyre wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 9:34am A little dab behind the ears keeps the mosquitoes away, and seems to make me attractive to the opposite sex.
Later in the evening, just remember it's not that kind of lubricant...;
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rjb wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 3:14pm Aldi currently on sale. £1.99

https://www.aldi.co.uk/bike-maintenance ... 2600456100
I got four cans on Monday,only to find I already had three in stock :shock: anyway I won't need any for a while :)

To the OP
I've been using it for 20 years or more.It's used as a water displacer anywhere on the bike except brake discs braking surfaces on rims and brake pads,as a paint protector on frames,on plastics on car bumpers and motorcycles etc.
Brilliant stuff and far cleaner to use than WD40 as it leaves no oily residue only a shine :)

EDIT,almost forgot,spray it on tools that are stored for a while to stop them rusting.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

AndyK wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 2:03pm
Later in the evening, just remember it's not that kind of lubricant...;
That mental picture is not good :shock: :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden