Naked all the way!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Chris Jeggo

Re: Naked all the way!

Post by Chris Jeggo »

Tiggertoo wrote: 24 May 2022, 8:25pm One thing about riding a bike in the cold is that one creates one's own wind chill effect.
On one 400K ride at about two in the morning wearing a jersey I was so cold I held my brakes going down a medium hill just to stop freezing. I cannot imagine doing it naked - for which the populace on that occasion would have been extremely grateful.
In the Autumn 1979 Audax UK magazine John Nicholas wrote "The Brevet Cymru was ridden in night-time conditions which have been described as 'arctic'. The four French participants had the wisdom to WALK down the hill from the Prescelli Restaurant to prevent the freezing wind from scything right through them". I certainly felt very cold during the night of the 1980 edition of that event.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

How are they getting on?
Are they there yet?
Mick F. Cornwall
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

I met the Naked Rambler one time at the Edinburgh festival and spoke to him for a few minutes before the police nicked him. He seemed a very troubled man with obvious psychological issues, and but surp
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

I met the Naked Rambler one time at the Edinburgh festival and spoke to him for a few minutes before the police nicked him. He seemed a very troubled man with obvious psychological issues, and not surprisingly paranoid given the quite brutal treatment the police gave him.

I heard from someone who used to work at a high level in Scottish Prisons that he was treated very badly inside, and would go on all sorts of protests. Apparently he spent 8 and a half out of ten years of his life behind bars (longer than you would get for attempted murder!), which is a terrible waste of one's youth. A tradegy. He would carry on his naked protest both in jail and at court, which obviously made things even more difficult.

Realistically and more humanely he should have been treated in hospital for his mental health issues rather than just a knee jerk banging up in a useless revolving door of short sentences, for what let's face it a relatively minor offence.

It's a true saying, there's nowt as queer as folk!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Dingdong wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 5:51am I met the Naked Rambler one time at the Edinburgh festival and spoke to him for a few minutes before the police nicked him. He seemed a very troubled man with obvious psychological issues, and not surprisingly paranoid given the quite brutal treatment the police gave him.

I heard from someone who used to work at a high level in Scottish Prisons that he was treated very badly inside, and would go on all sorts of protests. Apparently he spent 8 and a half out of ten years of his life behind bars (longer than you would get for attempted murder!), which is a terrible waste of one's youth. A tradegy. He would carry on his naked protest both in jail and at court, which obviously made things even more difficult.

Realistically and more humanely he should have been treated in hospital for his mental health issues rather than just a knee jerk banging up in a useless revolving door of short sentences, for what let's face it a relatively minor offence.

It's a true saying, there's nowt as queer as folk!
Wikipedia has one report of assessment of his mental health:

"He was assessed by Dr Gary Macpherson, a Scottish consultant forensic clinical psychologist. Dr Macpherson found no evidence of any mental disorder."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Gough

and

"He had refused to allow social workers to assess his mental health after he broke down in court during an appearance on 23 August."

Jonathan
horizon

Post by horizon »

Dingdong wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 5:51am
Realistically and more humanely he should have been treated in hospital for his mental health issues
You could argue perhaps that the court officlals (and maybe society in general) could be treated for the mental health disorder of not being able to withstand the sight of a harmless, naked man. As you say, many folk would prefer to be murdered than witness a human being without clothes.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 8:20pm
Dingdong wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 5:51am
Realistically and more humanely he should have been treated in hospital for his mental health issues
You could argue perhaps that the court officlals (and maybe society in general) could be treated for the mental health disorder of not being able to withstand the sight of a harmless, naked man. As you say, many folk would prefer to be murdered than witness a human being without clothes.
I must admit it's a bit of a shock if I catch sight on myself in a full length mirror without clothes :shock: .
Other humans are bearable,some much more than others :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I spend most of the days in the warmer weather wearing nothing more than a t shirt. Often, nothing at all, in the house our outside.
The joys of being in a detached dwelling a couple of hundred yards from our nearest neighbour, and I know many folk don't have that luxury.

Sandals (no socks!) with shorts and a light shirt when we go out.
Mick F. Cornwall
home

Post by home »

The two riders just recently got deliberately knocked off their bicycles near Bridgend (?), by some angry car driver screaming abuse about them being "prostitutes". Police called etc.
Dingdong wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 5:47amHe seemed a very troubled man with obvious psychological issues, and but surp
I'm glad you finished that paragraph. I was trying to work out what Butt Surp was.

Dingdong on the other hand was a far more apt member name for this topic.

Clearly if he had any brains, he'd just move to India. With the added advantage of being worshipped as a holy man.

They've been doing bikes too, since before Naked Bike Ride. Only I don't think they should be welcomed to ride on shared Santander bikes.
procession-of-naga-sadhus-with-body-covered-ash-kumbh-mela-india-11425150353.jpg
474adbb0440acb4b875777c12631fa63.jpg
home

Post by home »

Mick F wrote: 4 Jul 2022, 9:16amI spend most of the days in the warmer weather wearing nothing more than a t shirt. Often, nothing at all ...
Jeez, I bet the My Hermes delivery drivers are picking straws over who has to come to your house. Aren't you taking the old "no visible means of support" line a little too far?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

His bell's hanging a bit low :shock:

PS,I don't mean Mick's,I haven't met him in person :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

reohn2 wrote: 5 Jul 2022, 5:16pm His bell's hanging a bit low :shock:
I haven't met him in person :roll:

But has he met Mr. Pincher :roll:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
rjb

Post by rjb »

reohn2 wrote: 5 Jul 2022, 5:16pm His bell's hanging a bit low :shock:
I haven't met him in person :roll:

But has he met Mr. Chris Pincher :roll:

Looks like Bojo is on his bike soon too if the headlines are true and his rats are departing the sinking ship. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
scottg

Post by scottg »

rjb wrote: 5 Jul 2022, 6:19pm
Looks like Bojo is on his bike soon too if the headlines are true and his rats are departing the sinking ship. :D

BoJo is sending out Press Gangs to recruit new ministers,
so be careful out there London riders, otherwise you might find
yourself toiling away in a dank basement at #10.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Very much OT, but I'll be surprised if Boris - naked or otherwise - sees the week out as PM.
Mick F. Cornwall