Naked all the way!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
largeallan

Re: Naked all the way!

Post by largeallan »

Funny you mention the Naked Rambler.....I passed him a coupe of years ago heading southbound on the drop between Rannoch Moor and Tyndrum. It was one of those days with absolutely horizontal freezing sleet and every car and truck passed leaving him in a cloud of spray......to say he was 'red raw' is putting it mildly.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I didn't know he was still out and about.
From Wiki.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Gough

In April 2016, Gough asserted that he had cut back on his public nudity because he was responsible for caring for his then 89-year-old mother.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

I'm often in the buff outside gardening, and sometimes been seen by passers by.
That might go some way to explain the curious sighting in Cornwall of a lesser spotted Dick.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Never mind the police in Scotland - what about the midgies? :o
scottg

Post by scottg »

FreeWilderCol wrote: 3 Apr 2022, 1:48am
Paulatic wrote: 1 Apr 2022, 12:56pm Getting to JoG from where?

I take it you won’t be carrying much luggage then :D
Minimal luggage!
From Manchester...
Well at least the OP won't have to endure an endless thread what panniers to buy, since he is going threadless. :)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

One way Van hire or wear clothes for the train to start.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

That reminds me,there's a pair of Blue Tits nesting in our back garden :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

reohn2 wrote: 9 Apr 2022, 11:15pm That reminds me,there's a pair of Blue Tits nesting in our back garden :)
We had a heavy frost here this morning too. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

rjb wrote: 3 Apr 2022, 12:31pm Have you planned your route.
Fyi Pratt means bottom so the place is bottom bottom.

I have cycle though it many times.

BTW is the op a West Kenter?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Philip Benstead wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 8:16amFyi Pratt means bottom so the place is bottom bottom.
It might, but it might not.

The most common derivation is from the local Pratt or Prat family. TTBOMK the origin of their name isn't known. I'd put my money on trick or trickster rather than anything anatomical.

And there's another explanation: that Pratt means meadow.

Jonathan
FreeWilderCol

Post by FreeWilderCol »

Hi folks!
Sorry I've not revisited this post much... I get so swamped with social media stuff!
We've sorted the logistics... someone who wants to support our cause has offered to deliver us, with the tandem, to John O Groats, and another person is bringing us home from Lands End! Result!!
I've created a web page which will get updated as we set off... www.freewilders.co.uk
and there's our Free Wilders facebook page.

Thank you for all the tips and ideas!
Col.
pwa

Post by pwa »

FreeWilderCol wrote: 22 May 2022, 1:05pm Hi folks!
Sorry I've not revisited this post much... I get so swamped with social media stuff!
We've sorted the logistics... someone who wants to support our cause has offered to deliver us, with the tandem, to John O Groats, and another person is bringing us home from Lands End! Result!!
I've created a web page which will get updated as we set off... www.freewilders.co.uk

Col.
I wish you all the best but I have serious doubts about the practicalities. Have you ever tried riding long distances over several days with a bare bottom rubbing on a saddle? That could be a serious problem for you. And you could be cold. I remember being fully clothed at a campsite near Wick in August and shivering with cold. Add wind chill to that and you will probably find actual cycling in the buff to be highly uncomfortable and even dangerous to health.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

several days with a bare bottom rubbing on a saddle
Perhaps if one is 'dumb' enough to do it one wouldn't mind having a 'numb' bum. :oops:
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

pwa wrote: 24 May 2022, 9:22am
FreeWilderCol wrote: 22 May 2022, 1:05pm Hi folks!

Col.
I wish you all the best but I have serious doubts about the practicalities. Have you ever tried riding long distances over several days with a bare bottom rubbing on a saddle? That could be a serious problem for you. And you could be cold. I remember being fully clothed at a campsite near Wick in August and shivering with cold. Add wind chill to that and you will probably find actual cycling in the buff to be highly uncomfortable and even dangerous to health.
Yeap I had all my clothes on at one point

2 pairs of shorts / tights, base, two mid layers and a waterproof...

Sounds fun not!!!
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

One thing about riding a bike in the cold is that one creates one's own wind chill effect.
On one 400K ride at about two in the morning wearing a jersey I was so cold I held my brakes going down a medium hill just to stop freezing. I cannot imagine doing it naked - for which the populace on that occasion would have been extremely grateful.