Holland cycling guidebook?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
largeallan

Holland cycling guidebook?

Post by largeallan »

Hi....I'm planning a cycle tour of Holland this summer. Can anyone point me in the direction of a useful guidebook. I've trawled amazon and I usually like a cycle-specific Cicerone style book, but surprisingly, nothing seems to exist for Holland apart from the route out on a Rhine tour. Call me old fashioned but I am a sucker for an actual physical guide book for planning and generally whetting my appetite.....any recommendations?

Thanks.
st599_uk

Re: Holland cycling guidebook?

Post by st599_uk »

One book that's really useful is the Cycle Atlas - although that will cover the Netherlands, not just Holland. Each junction has a physical small numbered mushroom which shows which number is the next in each direction. These are also shown in the Atlas. Many routes you pick up at tourist information have a description, but the route itself just consists of a list of numbers which you then follow in order.

The other is this one: https://eoscycling.com/product/guideboo ... therlands/
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

They have something called the Node point network, google it. I have a book which is the map of it and its is called "De Landelijke Fietsatlas" published by Buijten and Schipperhijn.

I also have another book of routes, which I will look out. Cycling in the Netherlands is super easy, and my two top tips are, make yourself aware of the prevailing winds, and join Vrienden Oop de Fiets.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'm guessing you want a guidebook not a route book.

If so, then both Lonely Planet and Rough Guide are normally pretty good. You can probably find it or order it from your local library, so you can have a good look before you buy.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Maybe bike line? I don’t speak German but they do have the biggest range of cycle route books and the maps are good. Anyway this might list give you some browsing ideas.

https://www.esterbauer.com/bikeline/gruenroute/

https://www.esterbauer.com/bikeline/radregion-holland/

https://www.esterbauer.com/bikeline/rad ... nederland/

https://www.esterbauer.com/bikeline/run ... jsselmeer/
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Get the map book Steve k suggested. Whether you want a guidebook or maps/atlas simply get it you will be glad you did.

We got to ijmeuden without any maps or clear idea of where to go. Eventually we found a bookstore in the centre and bought that book. Spiral bound and very clear mapping. It made our holiday a breeze with navigation. Well with the node system (Belgium invented it BTW not Netherlands) that is. It is the one book I'd pack before any others for a trip in the Netherlands.
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

Cool, thanks for your help cats. I've ordered a Landelijke Fietsatlas for now......it looks a good purchase.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Great discussion. Thanks, all.

If I can't find anything suitable I make my own guidebooks for cycling and walking holidays. Mostly start with Wikipedia articles, add chapters and contents, convert to Kindle eBooks, load onto both Kindles.

Wildlife, geography, geology, history, national stories etc etc etc etc.

If anyone else does this I'd be interested in the workflow used, especially since the Wikibook step that I have used is no longer available.

IMO this won't handle maps with anything like the resolution etc that's needed for navigation. But OK for history and geography.

Jonathan
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

largeallan wrote: 5 Apr 2022, 8:36am Cool, thanks for your help cats. I've ordered a Landelijke Fietsatlas for now......it looks a good purchase.
this looks good too--https://www.bol.com/nl/nl/f/historische ... 000035968/

cheers,

Keith
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

:lol: I was looking for something a bit more recent than 1868.....interesting though it is.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

largeallan wrote: 5 Apr 2022, 8:36am Cool, thanks for your help cats. I've ordered a Landelijke Fietsatlas for now......it looks a good purchase.
It may seem a little confusing, but once there, it all seems very logical. Once you tune yourself in, you can ride past the nodes without stopping.

A concern you may have, is having your bike nicked, however in bigger places they seem to have secure bicycle parking, some you pay for and some you do not.
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

Ordinarily, I would have bike theft concerns on most tours, but there are three or four of us going, so
I'm not quite as worried.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Touring in Netherlands and Belgium with just a list of numbers is kind of strange but works well. Each node usually points to the direction of other nodes so your can just cruise through the nodes confident you're in the right route. Takes trust in the system though.
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

Steve X wrote: 5 Apr 2022, 10:44am

A concern you may have, is having your bike nicked, however in bigger places they seem to have secure bicycle parking, some you pay for and some you do not.
If you find yourself in an area where every crappy bike is adorned with two big locks, consider yourself warned ;)
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Tangled Metal wrote: 5 Apr 2022, 1:36pm Touring in Netherlands and Belgium with just a list of numbers is kind of strange but works well. Each node usually points to the direction of other nodes so your can just cruise through the nodes confident you're in the right route. Takes trust in the system though.
My experience is that whilst the system is quite good its not perfect and can send you on quite pointless diversions! This can be particularly annoying if you are trying to get from a to b at more than walking pace. I do use the system but i also use other roads - allow an hour each evening for writing out your list of nodes and checking there isn't a better way that does go into the village you want to get lunch at rather than diverting you around it!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!