Migraines and flashing lights

Jdsk

Re: Migraines and flashing lights

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote: 7 Apr 2022, 4:32pm https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28652355/

Aiui the BEB studies were used to study light sensitivity following earlier indications that FL41 helped with it in migraine sufferers. I think the idea was that BEB is easier to study than more complex migraine. Maybe fewer triggers and easier testing protocols. Whatever the reason it was an easier condition to study wrt filters for certain wavelengths of light.
Was there any reference to FL-41 lenses in that paper?

Thanks

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Re: Migraines and flashing lights

Post by Tangled Metal »

Unfortunately considering the impact of migraine there's still not enough specific research. You still have to join the dots of what research has been done. Research into effects of light on migraine sufferers with research on frequency of light that has effects on other conditions that have similar light sensitivities to research on notch filters that take out certain frequencies, etc, etc.

Of course most migraineurs are not reading academic reports they're reading up on the many reports from sufferers that say fl41 lenses work for them. Or GPs that are recommending them, opticians too. Who really cares if research has been done to the gold standard that mentions all relevant details, dotting Is and T's, when a no lose purchase could reduce attacks for you like it has for many others? Perhaps the OP could be wearing special rose tinted glasses when out on his bike to reduce migraines for years before the research gets done.

BTW there's plenty of reports on the cost to us and uk economies from migraines over the years but it's not had the drugs or treatments for migraines until fairly recently. Only often ineffective use of drugs developed for other conditions for which they weren't that effective but might just work for migraineurs.

It's a joke really. I've been offered drugs used for heart conditions, epilepsy, depression/ mental health conditions, etc. Last time I tried the specific migraine drugs were heavily resisted by NHS providers despite higher efficacy than the repurposed drugs. I've had migraine drugs prescribed that a pharmacologist friend at the time warned me against due to issues of coming off them. Easy to start taking but coming off them you have to take some time weaning yourself off them or gave potentially serious consequences. At least dealing with light sensitivity is a relatively harmless option to try.