Route to Cape Wrath from Durness ferry

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Ianwhitwell

Route to Cape Wrath from Durness ferry

Post by Ianwhitwell »

Hi, I'm touring Scotland in May and when in Durness I was thinking of cycling to Cape Wrath as a day trip without all my gear. I've found mixed information online about the route underwheel and am trying to find out if it can be cycled on a touring bike, without suspension? I will have all day to do it. It's more about suitability and I am happy for a bit of an adventure.
Thanks in advance
Norman H

Re: Route to Cape Wrath from Durness ferry

Post by Norman H »

You should be fine on a touring bike. If it hadn't been for a wee virus I would have been able to give you first hand experience. It was to be the highlight of a tour from Inverness and we were planning to spend the night at the Kervaig bothy.

The Kyle of Durness ferry is very much weather dependent.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Norman H wrote: 6 Apr 2022, 4:38pm The Kyle of Durness ferry is very much weather dependent.
They also don't run if the RAF are using the water as a bombing range.
Many many years ago, we got caught out by this, the ferry man apologised that he couldn't take us then added - safest place to be when the RAF are around is on the bloody range, they never hit it!

As it turned out, a day spent watching Tornadoes screaming across the range at ultra low level was quite entertaining.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Ianwhitwell wrote: 6 Apr 2022, 3:37pm Hi, I'm touring Scotland in May and when in Durness I was thinking of cycling to Cape Wrath as a day trip without all my gear. I've found mixed information online about the route underwheel and am trying to find out if it can be cycled on a touring bike, without suspension? I will have all day to do it. It's more about suitability and I am happy for a bit of an adventure.
Thanks in advance
Don't forget to take a selfie with your bike at the lighthouse - then you can join the Fellowship.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
delilah

Post by delilah »

The Road is very bad in places depending on your fitness you may have to push a little but it is certainly rideable on a touring bike with 28inch or larger tyres.
You need to check the ferry times out and arrange a time to be picked up. Be prepared to spend more than one night on there if the the ferry man isn't able to pick you the next day.
Also check when the MOD say the area is open as its used as a firing range. Don't stray off the track!
There used to be a cafe at the lighthouse but I'm not sure if it's there any longer
Kervaig Bothy is a magical place a push down and back up the track but not to be missed.
Last time I was there some kind soul had left a bottle of rose wine and some salted nuts. Had a great night!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rareposter wrote: 6 Apr 2022, 4:52pm
Norman H wrote: 6 Apr 2022, 4:38pm The Kyle of Durness ferry is very much weather dependent.
They also don't run if the RAF are using the water as a bombing range.
Many many years ago, we got caught out by this, the ferry man apologised that he couldn't take us then added - safest place to be when the RAF are around is on the bloody range, they never hit it!

As it turned out, a day spent watching Tornadoes screaming across the range at ultra low level was quite entertaining.
Many years ago when I was in the RN, Cape Wrath was (maybe still is?) a practice NGS range. Naval Gunfire Support.
We used the cape as a target whilst lying a dozen or more miles out at sea.

We in my ships must've fired hundreds of shells there.

Note the Danger Areas.
Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 09.29.51.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 8 Apr 2022, 9:30amMany years ago when I was in the RN, Cape Wrath was (maybe still is?) a practice NGS range. Naval Gunfire Support.
Current use and access restrictions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Wrath#Military_use

Jonathan
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Perfectly good road. Maybe not on 19mm tubs on the aero bits of the TT bike but otherwise fine. Well it was last August.
No steep climbs
robing

Post by robing »

I did it on a touring bike 9 years ago and it was fine. Everyone else was on MTBs
albal1

Post by albal1 »

Riding Dover - Cape wrath . Depart may 22nd /23rd.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

If you are planning on using the cafe it might be worth checking if it is actually open...
https://www.visitcapewrath.com/around-c ... zone-cafe/
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

gloomyandy wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 10:05am If you are planning on using the cafe it might be worth checking if it is actually open...
https://www.visitcapewrath.com/around-c ... zone-cafe/
Are you having a little laugh at this statement:
"The cafe is open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day and serves a selection of hot and cold snacks. "
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

albal1 wrote: 8 Apr 2022, 8:46pm Riding Dover - Cape wrath . Depart may 22nd /23rd.
What is your schedule/route?
Ianwhitwell

Post by Ianwhitwell »

Hi,
Thanks everyone for the information and advice. Looks like its a goer, if the ferry is running.
albal1

Post by albal1 »

Tiggertoo wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 3:34pm
albal1 wrote: 8 Apr 2022, 8:46pm Riding Dover - Cape wrath . Depart may 22nd /23rd.
What is your schedule/route?
Schedule: none really .got x4 weeks. If possible , ferry to Shetland Islands.
Route: taking in x2 Cardinals . E . Ness point .
And W. Ardnamurchan point. Bit in between will decide en route.