Regina valves

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nirakaro

Regina valves

Post by nirakaro »

I've always thought there were three types of inner tube valve – Schrader, Presta and, for those of us with long memories, Woods. I've just noticed that I've got a tube with a valve that calls itself Regina - maybe one that I picked up in Italy a while back. How long have these been around? What's good, or bad, or special about them?
geomannie

Re: Regina valves

Post by geomannie »

I've not seen these valves either, but Wikipedia has a little info. Very much an Italian thing. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_stem

"Many other valves exist that are used only in certain regions or for limited purposes.

For example, the "Regina Valve" is a valve very much similar to the Presta and mostly being used in Italy."
geomannie
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Thanks for putting a name to these valves. A few make their way (as part of a complete bike) over to Oxford University, visiting students/researchers etc. so I see them from time to time. I have to say the bikes they are on are usually rubbish small wheel folders and the like.
gerry84

Post by gerry84 »

Wow... now I realise that I've one Regina and one normal valve on my Moulton AM. Question: how do I find a Regina pump?

gerry84
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Seems to be the same fitting as Presta?
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Woods valves are still alive, well and in use on some modern cargo bikes amongst other things. A presta pump head fits them and I actually prefer them over presta and Schrader on small wheels with high spoke count and limited valve access.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Yes, Regina valves take the same fitting as presta.
All presta pumps with push on/clamp on connectors never work with woods valves in my experience, there is not enough valve length/thread for the rubber washer to clamp onto, so it leaks/comes off.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

gerry84 wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 10:54am Wow... now I realise that I've one Regina and one normal valve on my Moulton AM. Question: how do I find a Regina pump?

gerry84
If there's a problem, surely its better (and probably cheaper) to just replace the tube?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

I just stumbled across this, hence the late comment. I was talking to a long-distance cyclist last night who praised the Regina valve, which I had never heard of.

The Wikipedia article in German has a little more detail about the Regina valve here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrradventil . There is no article in Italian, and the French version is similar to the English.

Schwalbe no longer offers tubes with Regina valves on the German site. In Italian the RV valve is in the list but I could not find any tubes. Same with Michelin.
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Very much an Italian thing.
We should consider ourselves lucky - I mean, look at their pasta...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)