"My dog may chase you, but he's friendly" today's ride

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
fastpedaller

Re: "My dog may chase you, but he's friendly" today's ride

Post by fastpedaller »

A good point - I think you are correct that the rings aren't Frisbees in the traditional design (patented?)
The rings have been described by our local press and I've not noticed /thought to question it. I should know at my age to question the media!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote: 9 Apr 2022, 8:22pm
Jdsk wrote: 9 Apr 2022, 8:13pm But that isn't a Frisbee... Frisbees are discs and don't have a hole. It's some sort of flying ring.
It might not be your understanding of a Frisbee but it is.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerobie-Ring-F ... B007VZKTDK
I'm not disputing that others, including vendors, call things Frisbees but it's a registered trademark and the holders pursue infringers every so often.
https://www.flyingdiscmuseum.com/blog/2 ... emark-band

Jonathan

PS: When I first got my hands on an Aerobie it held the world distance record for a thrown object. Very clever device.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

fastpedaller wrote: 9 Apr 2022, 8:30pm A good point - I think you are correct that the rings aren't Frisbees in the traditional design (patented?)
The rings have been described by our local press and I've not noticed /thought to question it. I should know at my age to question the media!
: - )

As well as the trademarking (above) they were patented in the USA, but I don't know what's extant where...

Jonathan
Rod Goodfellow

Post by Rod Goodfellow »

Cyclist mate in USA carries a feeding bottle containing bleach.I have seen it deployed against repeatedly chasing dogs on 2 occasions.Those dogs have never been seen again.
pwa

Post by pwa »

fastpedaller wrote: 9 Apr 2022, 7:33pm
pwa wrote: 9 Apr 2022, 4:40pm Just back from a five mile walk down to the coast with the dog and she was off the lead for maybe a third of that. Those off-lead bits were the opportunity for the frisbee to come out. She loves chasing a frisbee.

Loads of people have dogs around here but I can't remember ever seeing one chase a person, on a bike or otherwise. We don't have cycle tracks though, just green spaces, public footpaths over fields, and lanes. And few dogs are off lead on the lanes. Just the hyper-disciplined ones.

And I saw nobody with a gun :lol: I'd have called the police if I had.
Frisbee's are a huge danger on the coast around here if people lose them in the sea - they get caught around the necks of the young seals, and it's a slow and agonising death unless humans are fortunate enough to be able to intervene.
I was in fields when I used the frisbee, but I will make sure I don't lose one on the beach now you've mentioned that problem. The tide was going out but hadn't yet revealed the wide sandy beach so we kept to the coastal path when were down that way. It was busier than usual because there was a marathon going on.

Our frisbee will pose less of a risk because it is a ring with three spokes that give extra lift. https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets ... 140458p--1

Incidentally, someone upthread mentioned being bitten but only lightly, with the skin not punctured. That is something that should not happen, but it does sound like a play bite. If so, the dog in question saw the victim as a playmate and was doing a pretend attack. It is still not acceptable behaviour, but if it happens to you and you recognise it for what it is, at least your anxiety level will be reduced.
Tompsk

Post by Tompsk »

pwa wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 1:49am
Our frisbee will pose less of a risk because it is a ring with three spokes that give extra lift.
Sadly not, smaller holes just mean the animals that could be harmed are smaller, e.g. swans and beer can rings.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I had an unusual exchange with a dogwalker the other day. It's a chap I'm on nodding terms with who I see on the walk for my daily paper. On a narrow bit of footway with him coming towards me I stepped into the carriageway to maintain social distancing. He vigorously waved me back onto the pavement and walked in the road. I commented that I could see no traffic was coming, while he had his back to it but he said that he would never expect somebody to walk in the gutter to make room for a dog.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Tompsk wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 7:39am
pwa wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 1:49am
Our frisbee will pose less of a risk because it is a ring with three spokes that give extra lift.
Sadly not, smaller holes just mean the animals that could be harmed are smaller, e.g. swans and beer can rings.
I think the spokes eliminate the specific risk you raised, but a frisbee is a plastic item that you throw and therefore risk losing, so I have made a point of not losing them. By coincidence my daughter reported one temporarily missing yesterday, but she knows exactly where it is and I will be retrieving it in the next day or two. It is stuck in a hedge, just out of reach. We have had a couple go missing like that and we have retrieved them after a short delay. That is the key thing, not losing them.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

03-10-2021 19-47-32.png
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Talking of stray - possibly dangerous to wildlife - plastic objects:

last summer we had a stray space-hopper in our garden for about a week. (Not a windy period, I should add).

So well done @pwa for keeping track of such things, like a responsible citizen.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Our dog is totally under control and wouldn't be let off the lead if not.On shared tracks we put him back on his lead when a cyclist or horse rider approaches.We don't need to but do so anyway.Dog owners need to be both fully aware of what's happening around them and respectful of other users,I also expect the same from cyclists and horse riders.The trouble is many dog owners are just not responsible enough and don't seem to bother training their little furball.An out of control dog is as much danger to itself as it is to others.
Most owners think those stupid extendible lines are what constitutes in control even when their little bundle of fun is zig-zagging all over the place 20ft in front of them :x
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

An out of control dog is as much danger to itself as it is to others.
Very true, it’s one of the multiple reason’s I’m careful with ours.

Not long before Christmas, I had the nearest to a ‘dog dtrike’ when cycling that I’ve had for years. Shared-use path, good width, broad flat grass either side, two people walking, two dogs off the lead gambolling about all over the place, about 50m ahead. I rang the bell, both owners corralled their dogs and stepped well clear of the path to continue their gossip. All good.

Except that as I passed, one dog broke free from its owner and came absolutely hurtling towards me, incredible speed, fairly small animal, seemed like a missile heading for me. I was only trundling along, but I knew there was no way I could veer or stop before impact, so in a split second I decided to put on power, reasoning that c90kg of me and bike would win in a collision with c10kg of dog, that I could ride straight over it like bumping over a tree-root on a trail.

By some miracle of self preservation, the dog managed to do some sort of hand-brake turn a hair’s breadth before impact!

If we had collided, or worse if it had gone under my wheels, I’m sure the vet bill would have been huge (and not payable by me).
Ron

Post by Ron »

simonineaston wrote: 8 Apr 2022, 8:19pm My frequent tours of northern France were dotted with exciting encounters with the farm dogs. .
I wouldn't have described my encounters with dogs in northern France as exciting. In fact they were one reason for not lingering long in these parts. It felt like I was in a high crime area where people left their dogs to guard the premises whilst they were at work or otherwise away from home. None of these dogs gave chase, as they were locked behind fences, but their barking and snarling were unnerving as I didn't know if they were likely to leap over a wall or through a hole in the fence.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My limited experience of French farm dogs - really limited to one - was one normally chained up on a very long chain in a sort of medieval farmyard which was fury incarnate. The farm belonged to the family of a cyclist who was a member of our chain gang so I normally only saw the mutt when we picked him up or dropped him off after a ride. I was then invited to the actual farm for a meal and with everybody at home they released the dog. Its character was completely changed. It was as though it knew that it was off duty and was allowed to act normal.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

chained up on a very long chain

Such has now been declared illegal where I live, thankfully. It is barbaric to chain a dog up outside.
their barking and snarling were unnerving as I didn't know if they were likely to leap over a wall
A dog on one of my common country routes does this - it is amazing, and frightening, how high an angry dog can jump. One of the dogs on this property gave chase and bit me on the leg requiring antibiotics. Nasty creature, and even more nasty and ignorant owner.