I'm out.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Re: I'm out.

Post by PH »

Hope it's just a short absence, but yes the place has changed.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Mick F wrote: 9 Apr 2022, 6:34pm Too much politics, too much back-biting
Yes
Last edited by ossie on 10 Apr 2022, 5:42am, edited 1 time in total.
toontra

Post by toontra »

It's usually the good ones that leave! The pedants and stirrers usually hang around as they don't really care who they irritate (perhaps they even take pleasure in doing so) and as a consequence the forums are denuded. The same can be seen at CycleChat and YACF.

Mick helped me with both my LEJoG's. Without his advice on this forum my route planning would have been hit-and-miss, but he made it a doddle. That's real, practical help - exactly what places like this should be for, not nit-picking and point-scoring.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Aw Mick, don't do that. Yours are the posts I most enjoy reading. The forum will be the poorer if you really go.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Just had a pm from another really nice forum member that stopped posting a while ago who is sad at Micks decision. I barely contribute too these days and I agree that the tiny group of ranters, big mouths and pedants have destroyed what was once a pleasant place to exchange views.

Sad

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 10 Apr 2022, 12:46pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As MickF himself might well post, "Define 'pedantry.'"
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

thirdcrank wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 10:08am As MickF himself might well post, "Define 'pedantry.'"
Look it up!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

al_yrpal wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 9:56am Just had a pm from another really nice forum member that stopped posting and while ago who is sad at Micks decision. I barely contribute too these days and I agree that the tiny group of ranters, big mouths and pedants have destroyed what was once a pleasant place to exchange views.

Sad

Al
I too find ranters, big mouths and pedants here and it’s done the place no good at all. It’s far too easy to get to the point where folk feel that they have the right to force their views and opinions on others. Whilst many of my views have remained fixed over the years many others have changed as a result of on-line debate. Debate is a two way process and the idea is, or rather should be, to establish the facts in a friendly way. We educate and re-educate each other.

A while back I was critical of the Mod’s in that they accepted too much vitriol here, but the prevailing view was that free speech trumps all. Well, IMHO too many good voices are denied their free speech by ranters, big mouths and pedants. Reluctance to give any member ‘the boot’ is understood but the consequences of over tolerance of such dominant folk are far too destructive and spoil the place for the rest of us.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Mick F wrote: 9 Apr 2022, 6:34pm The place has changed .......... and why should it not? It’s not as fun as it used to be, and I’ve got tired of it. Too much politics, too much back-biting, too many reports and complaints to the mods .................
That line could have been lifted from long term posters on any number of forums, not necessarily cycling related.

I'm a regular on a motorcycling forum and we see it all the time from the 'Old guard'. Things change, it's a very different world from where we were (say) twenty years ago. Some changes we like and some we don't, but 'change is here to stay' so hey ho.

My 2p. If you are sick of this place just shut the lid and walk away.

Very best wishes Mick F.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I've had nothing but positive experiences in my time on this forum.

Some knowledgeable people, some humorous, some cantankerous, some abject morons, but hey ho, it takes all sorts.

Just remember the old expression: "If you feel that you are indispensable, put your finger in a glass of water, withdraw it, and note the hole you have left."

Although I reckon Brucey left a big hole after withdrawing his finger!!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've posted before that imo it's better not to have a leaving do. Mention of Brucey, however, reminds me that when he stopped posting and people were wondering why, he was desperately ill and alone. For those of us in any sort of family home, that's unlikely to happen, but I can see it's different for those living alone. AIUI, MickF is temporarily "home alone" so it's good to know he's alive and OK.

I've also posted before that criticism is part of the territory for frequent posters, especially when posting opinions.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Leaving just panders to the egos of those you are leaving because of.
Have a sabbatical,ride your bike,have a few(plenty) pints of your favourite ale,ponder the universe then come back refreshed and ready to ignore all the negative stuff.
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

Regarding the "ranters, big mouths and pedants". Best thing to do IMO: deep breath, don't reply, go to bed, sleep well. Re-think a response in the morning but, if you can, don't reply. I believe, "ranting, big mouthing and pedantry" is all about triggering a response.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Jdsk wrote: 9 Apr 2022, 6:36pmThanks for all the work on spam and user management.

Jonathan
+1
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Maybe we should ban the politics threads and focus on cycling? CycleChat has greatly improved since they moved all politics into a separate area of the forum which most don't need to see. The nastiness of behaviours seen on other social media platforms seems to have encroached here.