I'm out.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: I'm out.

Post by thirdcrank »

DevonDamo wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 3:36pm
PedallingSquares wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 1:45pmpost removed by moderator
No need to hide behind me - if you want to have a bit of fun at Mick's expense, that's your prerogative. I'm not interested in having a go at any of the individuals concerned though - I commented to echo another member's surprise that people hadn't spotted what lead up to this thread. However, although I'm not impressed by the mismanagement which is encouraging this type of forum behaviour, this time it's not my battle.
What do you mean by "forum mismanagement" ?
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

thirdcrank wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 5:42pmWhat do you mean by "forum mismanagement" ?
The answer to your question has been one of my soap box topics on here, but although it's directly related to this thread, it would put the cat amongst the pigeons and blow any chances I may have had of staying out of someone else's battle... I'll PM you instead.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

DevonDamo wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 10:52am
thirdcrank wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 10:37am I'm not comfortable discussing absent friends like this, but for the record this must surely be what triggered this departure:-
You'd need to look for a pattern over several months to understand what's going on, but there's really nothing to be gained in trying to get to the bottom of something when the person concerned doesn't want you to.
+1
Certainly nothing to do with one post TC
I’ve pointed the pattern out to a forum member with a pm and they don’t see it. Am I wrong? Did I imagine something happening for weeks on end?
As DD says
nothing to be gained in trying to get to the bottom of something when the person concerned doesn't want you to
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

geocycle wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 9:57amMaybe we should ban the politics threads and focus on cycling? CycleChat has greatly improved since they moved all politics into a separate area of the forum which most don't need to see.
It hasn't because they haven't. The usual suspects on CycleChat now seem to competing over what political topics they can hide on the boards and get away with it, outside of the cycling-politics overlap which was explicitly allowed to continue on their Advocacy board. The stalking and subtle niggling harassment continues as before.

Cycling is an unavoidably political act and almost always has been. Cycling UK and its precursors are political campaigns as well as whatever else they've been.
Richard Fairhurst wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 4:16pm There is the Tea Shop here, which I guess counts as "a separate area of the forum". But you're right in that it doesn't qualify as "most don't need to see", because the standard views like "Active topics" or "New posts" still include Tea Shop threads.

I think this is probably why the forum has a bit of a reputation elsewhere as a fierce, unfriendly place, even though in my experience it's anything but. If your first impression of a cycling forum is a 150+ page thread about "Boris Boris Boris" and another long one about "Covid Covid Covid", you're unlikely to stick around.
And as I've said before, threads that appear at first glance to contain quite a lot of so-called Tea Party views instead of gentler coffeeshop ones.

But us mortals get "You are not authorised to read this forum" if we click the opening post quote to read the full version, so do we even know if the Tea Party Shop had anything to do with this?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Hope you're not out too long Mick -- hope your injuries from the off are healing well especially that elbow - ouch!
I am here. Where are you?
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

DevonDamo wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 3:36pm
PedallingSquares wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 1:45pmmoderated
No need to hide behind me - if you want to have a bit of fun at Mick's expense, that's your prerogative. I'm not interested in having a go at any of the individuals concerned though - I commented to echo another member's surprise that people hadn't spotted what lead up to this thread. However, although I'm not impressed by the mismanagement which is encouraging this type of forum behaviour, this time it's not my battle.
I think you are barking up the wrong tree I am not wanting to hide behind anyone!
That was just a throwaway comment used frequently on forums when someone announces they are leaving.It's not meant to be taken any other way but a light hearted dig or a bit of banter.
Unfortunately it looks like it is taken in a completely different way on these boards and it is certainly not to be taken as insulting as has been pointed out to me.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

No, I got your drift:
PedallingSquares wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 10:53amlight hearted dig or a bit of banter
DevonDamo wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 3:36pmhave a bit of fun
I only replied to clarify that that hadn't been the intention behind my posts, which I think is fair enough when something you've said has been paraphrased to look like something else. But I see your original post has been deleted. Nothing to do with me - I didn't report it.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

DevonDamo wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 11:08am No, I got your drift:
PedallingSquares wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 10:53amlight hearted dig or a bit of banter
DevonDamo wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 3:36pmhave a bit of fun
I only replied to clarify that that hadn't been the intention behind my posts, which I think is fair enough when something you've said has been paraphrased to look like something else. But I see your original post has been deleted. Nothing to do with me - I didn't report it.
Not a problem at all.I see my post has now been deleted.A bit extreme but there you go.At the very least I now know where I stand and that this Tea Shop isn't as free and easy as the General/off topic/cafe/pub areas I'm used to on other forums.
toontra

Post by toontra »

Ironic really that this very thread should wind up displaying the precise kind of nit-picking that drives people away.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

As in the Bond film "Never say never"

What exactly are you going to do in the long winter evenings when it is too cold and dark to cycle ?
CTC always tops reviews the the best premier cycling forum. Others are rubbish cheap imitations.
Why not pause in Spring/Summer to maximise cycling time and resume in winter?
Quality of posts wins out against quantity.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm back.
Keeping you lot at arm's length for now.

Cut me some slack, and let me get my act together.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 2 May 2022, 3:25pm I'm back.

I'm glad you're back Mick!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
toontra

Post by toontra »

:D
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

reohn2 wrote: 2 May 2022, 3:27pm

I'm glad you're back Mick!
Plus one. :D
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Welcome back but ... forum is not the same as when you departed (not that long ago). Several trolls have appeared (and one disappeared). I'm currently on the verge of doing what you did ...

One moment I think "this [the forum] is just getting stupid" next minute "maybe they'll lose interest and depart ..."

Ian