I'm out.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: I'm out.

Post by thirdcrank »

I'll succumb to the temptation to say "Define politics."

We do see some pretty brusque comments on technical threads and on campaigning-type topics too. From the perspective of posters, if you are a prolific poster you are statistically likely to get more disagreement and if you treat your opinions as fact that disagreement may be stronger.

From the perspective of readers, the options seem to be to avoid what you don't like or report it.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Furthermore the OP has been pretty forthright on his opinions on Brexit and the TV licence (not necessarily in the same post!). Why is that OK but to get upset with others' forthright opinions?
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

geocycle wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 9:57am Maybe we should ban the politics threads and focus on cycling? CycleChat has greatly improved since they moved all politics into a separate area of the forum which most don't need to see. The nastiness of behaviours seen on other social media platforms seems to have encroached here.
MickF posted this thread for a reason, but didn't state what it was. A few of the people who've responded clearly know exactly what that reason was, but it's up to Mick whether he wants to speak up - you can't fight someone else's battle if they don't want you to. However, I can tell you that banning the politics forum, or any other forum, would do absolutely nothing to resolve this very specific issue.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not comfortable discussing absent friends like this, but for the record this must surely be what triggered this departure:-
Jdsk wrote: 9 Apr 2022, 11:36am
Mick F wrote: 9 Apr 2022, 11:30amRemember, the mask you may wear as Joe Public is to protect other people, not you.
Masks protect both the wearer and other people.

Mick F wrote: 9 Apr 2022, 11:30amUnless every single one of us wear one - by law - there's no point in anyone wearing one.
[moderated on original thread]

There's no need to get to 100% for the protection to occur.

And the effect is independent of the existence of legislation. Wearing them voluntarily works just as well.

Jonathan
viewtopic.php?p=1685968#p1685968
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'm happy to continue that discussion of wearing masks and other ways of preventing disease and death. And of spreading misinformation during a public health crisis.

But please can we do it in one of the COVID threads.

Thanks

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I will miss Mick F and his always helpful descriptions (often in great detail) of his experience of his TSR. He's been of direct assistance to me and my TSR on several occasions. I'm hoping that he'll get out for a blast and feel better about what-ever it is that's made him come to his decision. That's usually what happens to me, on my bike :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

thirdcrank wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 10:37am I'm not comfortable discussing absent friends like this, but for the record this must surely be what triggered this departure:-
You'd need to look for a pattern over several months to understand what's going on, but there's really nothing to be gained in trying to get to the bottom of something when the person concerned doesn't want you to.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Sorry. I didn't think of the risk of continuing the covid discussion on here, which on reflection, is considerable. If it's not abundantly clear, I was posting in response to DevonDamo.

If anybody does want to pursue that discussion, here's the link again. Please follow it

viewtopic.php?p=1685968#p1685968
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Ben@Forest wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 10:23am Furthermore the OP has been pretty forthright on his opinions on Brexit and the TV licence (not necessarily in the same post!). Why is that OK but to get upset with others' forthright opinions?
+1

Ian
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Well, pot calling kettle black is quite common, isn’t it?

No matter - I wish MickF well and hope he’ll return eventually.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

PedallingSquares wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 1:45pmpost removed by moderator
No need to hide behind me - if you want to have a bit of fun at Mick's expense, that's your prerogative. I'm not interested in having a go at any of the individuals concerned though - I commented to echo another member's surprise that people hadn't spotted what lead up to this thread. However, although I'm not impressed by the mismanagement which is encouraging this type of forum behaviour, this time it's not my battle.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

It feels a little like the blame is being pushed towards JDSK which, to me at least, doesn’t seem constructive or fair. I read the exchange (above) and there’s barely anything, if anything, to get wound up about, well not to my perspective. Do I always agree with JDSK? No, not at all and certainly not early today, but he’s usually got something interesting to say, is usually well informed and I can’t recall him ever being unpleasant.

I hope that Mick is well, get’s out on his bike lots, walks his dog and generally keeps well. Let’s just give the chap some space and be thankful to have shared time here on this forum with him ... let’s hope that he returns.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick's leaving is not for me or anyone else to speculate as to why he's left,only to hope he's only away for a short 'holiday' and I hope he'll be back soon as he'll be sadly missed for his contribution to the forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

geocycle wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 9:57amMaybe we should ban the politics threads and focus on cycling? CycleChat has greatly improved since they moved all politics into a separate area of the forum which most don't need to see.
There is the Tea Shop here, which I guess counts as "a separate area of the forum". But you're right in that it doesn't qualify as "most don't need to see", because the standard views like "Active topics" or "New posts" still include Tea Shop threads.

I think this is probably why the forum has a bit of a reputation elsewhere as a fierce, unfriendly place, even though in my experience it's anything but. If your first impression of a cycling forum is a 150+ page thread about "Boris Boris Boris" and another long one about "Covid Covid Covid", you're unlikely to stick around.

phpBB does appear to be able to restrict board viewing based on a user-set preference. The SABRE forums, which run on phpBB, allow users to opt in/out of viewing the "Unleashed" board by setting a preference. It would be great if this forum could do the same, so that those who want to talk politics can still do so, but it doesn't get in the way for everyone else.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 4:16pm
geocycle wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 9:57amMaybe we should ban the politics threads and focus on cycling? CycleChat has greatly improved since they moved all politics into a separate area of the forum which most don't need to see.
There is the Tea Shop here, which I guess counts as "a separate area of the forum". But you're right in that it doesn't qualify as "most don't need to see", because the standard views like "Active topics" or "New posts" still include Tea Shop threads.

I think this is probably why the forum has a bit of a reputation elsewhere as a fierce, unfriendly place, even though in my experience it's anything but. If your first impression of a cycling forum is a 150+ page thread about "Boris Boris Boris" and another long one about "Covid Covid Covid", you're unlikely to stick around.

phpBB does appear to be able to restrict board viewing based on a user-set preference. The SABRE forums, which run on phpBB, allow users to opt in/out of viewing the "Unleashed" board by setting a preference. It would be great if this forum could do the same, so that those who want to talk politics can still do so, but it doesn't get in the way for everyone else.
I was just about to suggest that the Tea Shop shouldn't appear on 'Active Topics' or 'New Posts' if that was possible, not least because you could argue that it gives the wrong impression of what is after all a cycling forum.

Saying that, I quite often post on non-cycling-related threads (although I don't think I'm considered a stirrer!), so the above would be an inconvenience, but that might just be a price worth paying.