Are Reiss & Mueller worth the extra cost?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Jdsk

Re: Are Reiss & Mueller worth the extra cost?

Post by Jdsk »

Discussion of the Nuvinci hub from 2020, including the efficiency and Brucey's comment.:
viewtopic.php?t=139155

Jonathan
stodd

Post by stodd »

saudidave wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 9:57am May I ask your opinion of the Nuvinci IGH?
That advertisement wasn't mine and I've never had the pleasure of riding one.
I think it's called Enviolo now; where do they get all these silly names from?

(I've always been interested in continuous ratio transmission, we had a couple of DAFs in the 70's.)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Two reports of the Enviolo hub:
viewtopic.php?p=1632766#p1632766

Jonathan
hemo

Post by hemo »

stodd wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 9:16am You may be interested in
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/classi ... ondon.252/
(but perhaps you want to treat yourself to a spanking new one anyway).
4k for a Bosh bike nearing 3.5 years old with no warranty on the motor or battery is a lot of money to throw down the bin.
It isn't unknown for the bearings to fail, replacement motors should one ever fail terminally aren't cheap and batteries less so, though the batteries for them generally don't tend to go wrong. None of the electronics are repairable so any one thinking of spending vast sums on a ebike is best at least in the first couple of years to have something to fall back on.

Overall though the closed system brands like bosh,yamaha & steps et al all offer no bike security for an owner after the two year warranty is up.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Exactly the reasons why I intend to buy a new bike. I'd only consider second hand if I knew the seller and I'd only be prepared to pay 50% of the cost of a new one as a maximum. My Raleigh looks almost new and rides as such but the hub gear internals are prematurely worn due to water ingress in a flood when it was six months old. It 's had an oil bath every 1000 miles and runs quieteky and smoothly, but I intend to replace the gear internals if and when I do sell it. The Bosch motor is fine. I contacted Bosch after the flood. They confirmed that the units are water resistant and have an internal sensor to detect moisture, similar to those in a mobile phone. That will result in an error code on the display panel if moisture ingress has occurred and mine has never shown that.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

If I was 69, had survived cancer, was retiring soon, money no REAL object and was humming/hahhhing with these specific humms and hahhs, I would go for the R and M. The drip drip drip of knowing that I could have had one but didn't, would haunt me forever. The biggest 'tick' is the Rohloff (I'm a disciple of all things Rohloff)

Whatever you buy will be superceded/upgraded/improved tomorrow but non of us can wait wait wait forever. Is there any really good reason for not buying the R and M especially in your position? I'm not one for throwing good money away but I never regret buying top quality items. The R and M is TOP quality and I honestly don't think that you would ever regret buying one.

Very best wishes whatever you choose to do.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

I'm not being indecisive in the slightest. I only started thinking of going down this route a week or so ago and what I'm currently doing is research in order that I don't chuck ten grand away. I'm not going to buy one for around 9 months as I'm still working full time and I don't get out enough to justify that sort of outlay until I retire. I'm not averse to chucking money around I can assure you, I wouldn't even consider it at all if I was but this Ukraine debacle has just hit my pension funds for enough money to buy a fleet of R & M's and I don't want to be running out of readies if I get to 80!
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

Good question: is an R&M worth all that money?

I would have to say yes, I have a Delite with Rohloff, Gates belt drive and dual Bosch battery system (see picture). And I live 3 miles south of the southern edge of the Peak District. By far the majority of my trips are in the White Peak area.

The biggest advantage is range with the two 500 Wh batteries (and I could borrow a couple more from my wife's Tern should I really want to go far). The maximum distance to date is just over 80 miles, which also included over 6000 feet of climbing through the Peaks with some off road trails. Given it has suspension and wide tyres it is very capable off road (better than me). Again rather useful for the Peak District.

My only problem is that it is a bit big for me as I only have a 29" inside leg. It's a bit tight when straddling the crossbar if you get my drift. I'm considering reducing the wheels to 26 inch with 47 mm tyres to give an extra three-quarters to an inch clearance (and shortening the cranks to prevent ground strike). Other than that it's a superb machine, now with just over 4500 miles on it in three years.

As with you this was my retirement present to myself to help me to keep fit. My previous main bike, a rather nice Patria Terra tourer (with Rohloff) had served me very well for over 20000 miles commuting to/from work. But now we live in the Staffordshire Moorlands rather than the Rhine valley on the Swiss-French border I just couldn't cope with Peak District climbing without a motor (including getting very bored spending 95+% of the time at 3 mph - I did lower the gearing as much as I dared to see if I could cope).
Attachments
20220224 Delite Morridge viewpoint snow1.JPG
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Thanks for the response. The battery bit I could do easily enough; a 500Wh to augment my existing 400Wh would sort that bit for £500.00, I could fit a Rholoff but I obviously can't add a swinging arm with shocker, or a Gates belt. I'm going to have to book a test ride to see how they ride and I will do that, there is no other way to know
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Lodge wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 8:02pm
My only problem is that it is a bit big for me as I only have a 29" inside leg. It's a bit tight when straddling the crossbar if you get my drift. I'm considering reducing the wheels to 26 inch with 47 mm tyres to give an extra three-quarters to an inch clearance (and shortening the cranks to prevent ground strike). Other than that it's a superb machine, now with just over 4500 miles on it in three years.
Rather than go to all of that trouble would it not be a lot easier and considerably cheaper to fit a dropper seatpost?
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

It’s not the saddle that’s the problem. When standing astride the bike, off the saddle, the crossbar is touching my interesting bits… a bit too close for security methinks… But I’ve done four and a half thousand miles so far without incident (touches wood).
reubenslater

Post by reubenslater »

Have you ridden any R+M bikes? I've ridden several, just last week I rode the Load 60 with belt drive enviolo, full suspension and twin batteries. I rode it on and off road and it was a dream!! I've ridden several other models of 'normal' type bikes from R+M and there is just something about them which oozes quality. If you were to ride one I am sure that you will be leaving the Motus in the past and wonder why you didn't get one many years ago!
DiggyGun

Post by DiggyGun »

I presently have the R&M Nevo3 GT Vario GX with the 625Wh battery.

It is simply a dream to ride, it is a substantial bike, but doesn’t feel heavy when riding it. It is very comfortable and the step-thru does make it easier getting on and off it.

It’s coming up to 1800 miles now since August 2021, so it gets used regularly, not always daily but as often as I can.
532144AF-333D-471B-BAEB-A86AF97EB2D5.jpeg
As you can see, I don’t mind it getting dirty, this was after doing part of the muddy Ridgeway this March. The bike does seem to handle everything that is thrown towards it.

My previous bike was the Raleigh Motus GT step-thru with a 400Wh battery. The difference between the two bikes is very noticeable. Although both being hybrids, the Raleigh was often skittish on light trails, but no problems with the R&M. I have also found that the dealership support is excellent.

Whether a R&M is worth the money varies for each one of us, but for me it is and, I’m enjoying all aspects of it.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

saudidave wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 12:03pm Thank you. I am very familiar withthe definition of Watts & Watt hours et al, having studied Physics at A level,prior to embarking on a various courses leading to Chartered status in the construction industry. When referring to the battery capacity I referred to it in Watts, and that term is the generic term, in common usage with the general public, regarding ebike batteries, rather than the technically correct Watt hours.

Anyone who misunderstood my intention would have to be a f---w-t
Didn't misunderstand it, just thought "another f---w-t who doesn't know the difference".
Have we got time for another cuppa?
octave531

Post by octave531 »

My retirement/cycling plans changed with peripheral arterial disease. I contemplated giving up cycling as it was just too painful, folks kept mentioning ebikes but being stubborn I dismissed the idea. Eventually I had a simple choice ebike or no bike. So after much research a BMC Alpenchallenge Amp came along, wow I was cycling again! To be honest it was a game changer. Later as my fitness improved (that was another surprise) I wanted a road bike again and an Orbea M30 appeared, unlike the BMC, it’s more a bike with an electric motor rather than ebike, so rides like a normal analogue bike which is great. After some time I found the BMC got through chains and cassettes and the Orbea could run out of steam on really steep hills but this I could forgive and live with. However I also found range was becoming a problem on the BMC after returning to touring holidays (another thing I thought I wouldn’t do again). So I started looking around for a solution and found the R+M Superdelite and couldn’t let it go, but the cost, etc. Another health scare brought new focus and with family encouragement I sought a test ride. The Goodlife in Richmond had a bike I could test ride it was new but the previous years model a cancelled order. So off I went for a couple of hours, think you can guess how this ends up! The cancelled order meant a deal was there to be struck and so it was. That was a year ago and I have never regretted it once. Apart from the name that sounds like a sickly dessert the Superdelite ticks all the boxes, belt drive, range, Rohloff, off road upgrade, comfort, lights, etc. If I had to pick just one bike to own it would be the R+M or the “Thug” as my cycling buddy christened it.
Attachments
BF526663-2F41-4C3E-9A32-1B46BB2D2AE8.jpeg
Last edited by octave531 on 23 Apr 2022, 3:03pm, edited 1 time in total.