What's the best camping stove?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jdsk

Re: What's the best camping stove?

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 1:30pm
hamster wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 12:36pm My only gripe is that it's a bit slow, can burn food and the fuel is bulky.
Trangia bottle under down tube so not a space problem.
SNAP! Can't leak onto clothes etc.. But ours is a SIGG fuel bottle with its unusual size of cage.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 12:45pm
Jdsk wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 6:01pm
Cowsham wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 3:42pm Jonathan says he just drinks what's left.
You may have missed a crucial part of the cunning plan... the contents of the reserve bottle are specifically selected in advance to satisfy both purposes!

: - )
So that's what cutting it with water means or is just save the good stuff till last?
No.

Cutting the meths with water is used by some Trangisti in an attempt to reduce soot deposition on pans. Discussed above.

The dual fuel trick is completely different. We carry enough spirits for ourselves to drink and enough for the stove to burn with some reserve margin. If the same liquid can be used for both purposes you can reduce the total mass of the reserve supply.

In our case (!) when either walking or cycling it's Scotch because that's the best for the first purpose. One of the reasons being that it doesn't need a mixer. And it's always good stuff! De gustibus non est disputandum.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Sweep wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 10:22am
Cowsham wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 10:14am
Sweep wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 9:02pm
It never has come with any of the "kits" as far as i know. Why were you expecting it?
Quite a few videos seem to show the strainer -- also noted the saucepan had a small dent in it which I'll live with. Still awaiting the spirit burner and kettle which may arrive today.
curious "kit" you seem to have bought there as on the other hand I thought ALL came with the burner.
I can recommend the strainer - there are of course two sizes if you are buying one separately.
There's also an ally plate available as an extra which I like to use as a lid to the saucepans rather than the frying pan.
I recon since mine comes with the gas burner they leave out the spirit burner ( which is on it's way cos I ordered it separately )
I am here. Where are you?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cowsham wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 12:10am
Cowsham wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 10:14am

Quite a few videos seem to show the strainer -- also noted the saucepan had a small dent in it which I'll live with. Still awaiting the spirit burner and kettle which may arrive today.
curious "kit" you seem to have bought there as on the other hand I thought ALL came with the burner.
I can recommend the strainer - there are of course two sizes if you are buying one separately.
There's also an ally plate available as an extra which I like to use as a lid to the saucepans rather than the frying pan.
I recon since mine comes with the gas burner they leave out the spirit burner ( which is on it's way cos I ordered it separately )
ah yes, realised that later. enjoy.
Have a gas burner (3rd party, non Trangia) tho never used yet.
Sweep
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Sweep wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 6:19am
Cowsham wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 12:10am
ah yes, realised that later. enjoy.
Have a gas burner (3rd party, non Trangia) tho never used yet.
Was going to try both out and make comparisons -- do you know how long a full spirit burner will burn for roughly ?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Spirit burner came yesterday and my question was answered in the instruction manual -- 25min ( which isn't that long when you're cooking food - boiling kettle etc )
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cowsham wrote: 1 May 2022, 2:16pm Spirit burner came yesterday and my question was answered in the instruction manual -- 25min ( which isn't that long when you're cooking food - boiling kettle etc )
Yep sounds about right.
Don't find a problem to be honest, as my general rule home or away is that if a meal takes longer than 20 minutes of cooking it's not worth the bother.
I also carry a tiny gas stove mostly for espresso.
If a problem with trangia meths you can always bring a pot to the boil on the gas and then put on trangia for simmering. Have done this at times.
Sweep
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Sweep wrote: 1 May 2022, 3:37pm
Cowsham wrote: 1 May 2022, 2:16pm Spirit burner came yesterday and my question was answered in the instruction manual -- 25min ( which isn't that long when you're cooking food - boiling kettle etc )
Yep sounds about right.
Don't find a problem to be honest, as my general rule home or away is that if a meal takes longer than 20 minutes of cooking it's not worth the bother.
I also carry a tiny gas stove mostly for espresso.
If a problem with trangia meths you can always bring a pot to the boil on the gas and then put on trangia for simmering. Have done this at times.
If you're stuck I suppose you could take the lid off the kettle and put your previously cooked food on top of the kettle to keep it warm while the water boils.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 8:44pm The Trangia 25 arrived today...
How's it going?

; - )

Thanks

Jonathan
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

In my lifetime of Camping I can honestly say that for cooking decent meals a Trangia is best. Smaller shorter touring a Trangia Mini works far better than some opinions shown on here. A Trangia Mini if used correctly can cook a decent eggs, bacon and sausage breakfast with ease. I can highly recommend any Trangia. I always use Alcohol methylated spirit and never gas.. I have upgraded the versions and my final stove is a UL Hard anodized version and I think the very best ever.. Over many years using many differing stoves in many countries I will still go to the Trangia.
Sadly my time Camping is more or less at an end. But I will still use a Trangia for picnic times coming (I trust).
Enjoy Camping and most of all enjoy your life because the years fly by much faster than you might think.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 16 May 2022, 9:31am
Cowsham wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 8:44pm The Trangia 25 arrived today...
How's it going?

; - )

Thanks

Jonathan
Great wee cooker -- did Bacon, sausages, beef burgers, fried eggs, and tomatoes, boiled spuds ( baby - no washing ) hard boiled eggs and made sandwiches, poached eggs.

It boils the 900ml trangia kettle in about 15 to 20min with spirit burner but the gas burner is much faster -- about 5 min Max. The gas is much more practical although if I had all day I'd happily use the meths.

Cleaning the non stick pots an pans is no bother either.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thankyou

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

leftpoole wrote: 16 May 2022, 11:57am In my lifetime of Camping I can honestly say that for cooking decent meals a Trangia is best. Smaller shorter touring a Trangia Mini works far better than some opinions shown on here. A Trangia Mini if used correctly can cook a decent eggs, bacon and sausage breakfast with ease. I can highly recommend any Trangia. I always use Alcohol methylated spirit and never gas.. I have upgraded the versions and my final stove is a UL Hard anodized version and I think the very best ever.. Over many years using many differing stoves in many countries I will still go to the Trangia.
Sadly my time Camping is more or less at an end. But I will still use a Trangia for picnic times coming (I trust).
Enjoy Camping and most of all enjoy your life because the years fly by much faster than you might think.
I do enjoy life -- getting the balance right has been my mantra all my life and I don't mean just work / leisure -- I mean all aspects of my time here.

Enjoy the moment whatever that is but step up and act when it's required of you. Recognise what is important and what is not.
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

I have been trying not to reply on this thread. Can you guess why?

I am glad you are practicing and getting used to your new Trangia....once you go down the horses for courses route you end up with too much kit and all sorts of trauma deciding which set fits the trip best........and that's before you look in the tent cupboard !
20220517_081455.jpg
old fangled
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

this was my set up at the weekend:
IMG_20220514_202147713.jpg
trying to cut weight and go wiith just the essentials!

cheers,

Keith