What's the best camping stove?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pjclinch

Re: What's the best camping stove?

Post by pjclinch »

leftpoole wrote: 16 May 2022, 11:57am In my lifetime of Camping I can honestly say that for cooking decent meals a Trangia is best.
For some values of "camping"...
I find a double-burner Camping Gaz stove with integrated grill considerably superior for cooking meals, but it's one hell of a lot less bike-friendly when it comes to carting it about!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

Cullen skink looks like your only fish option with that small set up Traction_man
old fangled
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

hoogerbooger wrote: 17 May 2022, 8:07am I have been trying not to reply on this thread. Can you guess why?

I am glad you are practicing and getting used to your new Trangia....once you go down the horses for courses route you end up with too much kit and all sorts of trauma deciding which set fits the trip best........and that's before you look in the tent cupboard !
20220517_081455.jpg
That's a lot of stuff there -- if I was on my own I'd probably take a trangia 27 or mini to save weight but like the way the trangia all folds up into itself, how stable it sits on the grass and how good it is with windy conditions.
I am here. Where are you?
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

hoogerbooger wrote: 17 May 2022, 8:44am Cullen skink looks like your only fish option with that small set up Traction_man
I like the sound of that!

Yes, the minimalist approach is ok for noodles and dried pasta etc, the basics really--I like my Trangia but it is a tad heavy with all the bits.

cheers,

Keith
hamster

Post by hamster »

hoogerbooger wrote: 17 May 2022, 8:07am I have been trying not to reply on this thread. Can you guess why?

I am glad you are practicing and getting used to your new Trangia....once you go down the horses for courses route you end up with too much kit and all sorts of trauma deciding which set fits the trip best........and that's before you look in the tent cupboard !
20220517_081455.jpg
You REALLY need a Jetboil!
Basin and Range

Post by Basin and Range »

I have an alcohol-fueled Trangia with a triangular stand that packs flat, super compact.
I have an MSR Whisperlite International that will burn white gas, gasoline (unleaded petrol), or kerosene.
I have an MSR Reactor that burns isobutane from cartridges.
I have a Camp Chef that burns propane from a large cylinder.

They all have their purpose and all have proven to excel in their respective categories with corresponding trade-offs.

The Trangia is slowest and the fuel has the lowest energy density. It's least ideal for just melting snow or boiling water but is the lightest, most compact and does well simmering food.

The Whisperlite is light and compact, uses fuel with twice the energy density of alcohol. More accurately, it has 20,000 BTU per pound versus 10,000 BTU/lb for methanol and 12,500 BTU/lb for ethanol. It's effective for melting snow and boiling water and it works for cooking food though it does not simmer on low heat as well as the Trangia. I've had it for 30 years, but it's mostly been replaced with the Reactor at this point.

The MSR Reactor is perhaps the biggest and heaviest of my mobile stoves, though this is due primarily to the required fuel cannister and pot. Because the other stoves have a variety of fuel container and pot sizes available, they can be bigger or smaller than the Reactor depending. The isobutane fuel (blend of propane and butane) is energy-dense with approximately 21,500 BTU's per pound, but the Reactor's stove/pot system is far more efficient than traditional burners like the Whisperlite. It is both much faster and more fuel-efficient. It's king at melting snow and boiling water. It boils water for coffee, tea, or to rehydrate freeze-dried food much faster than the others. I've never cooked with it. I've only ever used it to melt snow or boil water.

The Camp Chef has a 30,000 BTU burner and a 14" cook surface. It boils fast, simmers well, but doesn't handle high wind. It's the only one of the four that will cook six burgers, four steaks, or half a dozen eggs at once. It's compact enough for a small 4x4 but would obviously never work for backpacking or cycle-touring or anything like that.

I camp a lot for various reasons and in different ways -- backpacking, cycle-touring, hunting, car-camping, 4x4ing, vacationing in national parks, back-country skiing, paddling, and so on. For solo trips, I am inclined to skip the stove altogether unless I must melt snow for drinking water or to rehydrate food in remote areas. For cycle-touring, I can pack more weight and I'm usually closer to sources where food can be purchased so I'm less likely to depend on freeze-dried food. If I'm camping with one or more other people, I'm more inclined to cook than when I'm solo, but if we're using freeze-dried food, I will take the Reactor. If we're not using freeze-dried food, we probably have a heavy vehicle like a 4x4 and I will prefer to use a big Camp Chef stove. The Trangia and Whisperlite get the least use these days. It isn't because they're not good at what they do, but because my use case favors the Reactor or Camp Chef.

If I'm traveling light and compact with minimum weight and bulk, the Reactor is just more space and weight efficient than any of the other stoves when the fuel and pot are all taken into consideration. Even though the Trangia itself may fit in less space and weigh less, with the fuel and pot it's not much more compact and it does not have enough output for multiple people. I would prefer the Trangia if I was traveling solo and I wanted to actually cook, not just boil water, but that's not something I'm inclined to do. Going solo, lightweight, self-supported, I'm not going to take things like fresh eggs and meat or vegetables to sauté.

I should note that while I laude the MSR Reactor here, the MSR Windburner should be considered as well. I bought my Reactor before the Windburner was introduced so the option wasn't there and now that I own the Reactor, there's no reason to get a Windburner. If I had neither, I would consider either. The Windburner is probably more appealing if it is ever to be used solo, and it might be better for general camping, whereas the Reactor is probably only better when the primary purpose is snow-melting or one of the larger pots is selected for a bigger group.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Basin and Range wrote: 17 May 2022, 8:59pm I have an alcohol-fueled Trangia with a triangular stand that packs flat, super compact.
I have an MSR Whisperlite International that will burn white gas, gasoline (unleaded petrol), or kerosene.
I have an MSR Reactor that burns isobutane from cartridges.
I have a Camp Chef that burns propane from a large cylinder.

They all have their purpose and all have proven to excel in their respective categories with corresponding trade-offs.

The Trangia is slowest and the fuel has the lowest energy density. It's least ideal for just melting snow or boiling water but is the lightest, most compact and does well simmering food.

The Whisperlite is light and compact, uses fuel with twice the energy density of alcohol. More accurately, it has 20,000 BTU per pound versus 10,000 BTU/lb for methanol and 12,500 BTU/lb for ethanol. It's effective for melting snow and boiling water and it works for cooking food though it does not simmer on low heat as well as the Trangia. I've had it for 30 years, but it's mostly been replaced with the Reactor at this point.

The MSR Reactor is perhaps the biggest and heaviest of my mobile stoves, though this is due primarily to the required fuel cannister and pot. Because the other stoves have a variety of fuel container and pot sizes available, they can be bigger or smaller than the Reactor depending. The isobutane fuel (blend of propane and butane) is energy-dense with approximately 21,500 BTU's per pound, but the Reactor's stove/pot system is far more efficient than traditional burners like the Whisperlite. It is both much faster and more fuel-efficient. It's king at melting snow and boiling water. It boils water for coffee, tea, or to rehydrate freeze-dried food much faster than the others. I've never cooked with it. I've only ever used it to melt snow or boil water.

The Camp Chef has a 30,000 BTU burner and a 14" cook surface. It boils fast, simmers well, but doesn't handle high wind. It's the only one of the four that will cook six burgers, four steaks, or half a dozen eggs at once. It's compact enough for a small 4x4 but would obviously never work for backpacking or cycle-touring or anything like that.

I camp a lot for various reasons and in different ways -- backpacking, cycle-touring, hunting, car-camping, 4x4ing, vacationing in national parks, back-country skiing, paddling, and so on. For solo trips, I am inclined to skip the stove altogether unless I must melt snow for drinking water or to rehydrate food in remote areas. For cycle-touring, I can pack more weight and I'm usually closer to sources where food can be purchased so I'm less likely to depend on freeze-dried food. If I'm camping with one or more other people, I'm more inclined to cook than when I'm solo, but if we're using freeze-dried food, I will take the Reactor. If we're not using freeze-dried food, we probably have a heavy vehicle like a 4x4 and I will prefer to use a big Camp Chef stove. The Trangia and Whisperlite get the least use these days. It isn't because they're not good at what they do, but because my use case favors the Reactor or Camp Chef.

If I'm traveling light and compact with minimum weight and bulk, the Reactor is just more space and weight efficient than any of the other stoves when the fuel and pot are all taken into consideration. Even though the Trangia itself may fit in less space and weigh less, with the fuel and pot it's not much more compact and it does not have enough output for multiple people. I would prefer the Trangia if I was traveling solo and I wanted to actually cook, not just boil water, but that's not something I'm inclined to do. Going solo, lightweight, self-supported, I'm not going to take things like fresh eggs and meat or vegetables to sauté.

I should note that while I laude the MSR Reactor here, the MSR Windburner should be considered as well. I bought my Reactor before the Windburner was introduced so the option wasn't there and now that I own the Reactor, there's no reason to get a Windburner. If I had neither, I would consider either. The Windburner is probably more appealing if it is ever to be used solo, and it might be better for general camping, whereas the Reactor is probably only better when the primary purpose is snow-melting or one of the larger pots is selected for a bigger group.
That's great info but have you ever tried the trangia with the gas burner ? -- it transforms the cooking times to much shorter although I do like the way the trangia simmers on the spirit burner.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

In my opinion, I believe that the 'Spirit' burner is designed for the Trangia and works extremely well. I know that Trangia and other suppliers produce a Gas burner for the Trangia. to pretty obviously make a profit and not because the spirit burner is useless. But the trangia is a spirit stove and other use is not in the 'spirit' of the said stoves use.
The whole point of a Trangia is to use a spirit burning stove. If you wish to use a Gas stove, then use a Gas stove. Please don't use a Trangia with a Gas burner. It is just too sad for words.......
Last edited by leftpoole on 18 May 2022, 9:53am, edited 1 time in total.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Traction_man wrote: 17 May 2022, 8:33am this was my set up at the weekend:

IMG_20220514_202147713.jpg

trying to cut weight and go wiith just the essentials!

cheers,

Keith
A super setup. MSR kettle with a Trangia Mini. Wonderfully light. Easy to use. Cooking various meals is possible with a little thought.
Well done for showing this. All the Philistines using Gas with a Trangia should be ashamed....lol
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 18 May 2022, 9:43amThat's great info but have you ever tried the trangia with the gas burner ? -- it transforms the cooking times to much shorter although I do like the way the trangia simmers on the spirit burner.
leftpoole wrote: 18 May 2022, 9:47am In my opinion, I believe that the 'Spirit' burner is designed for the Trangia and works extremely well. I know that Trangia and other suppliers produce a Gas burner for the Trangia. to pretty obviously make a profit and not because the spirit burner is useless. But the trangia is a spirit stove and other use is not in the 'spirit' of the said stoves use.
The whole point of a Trangia is to use a spirit burning stove. If you wish to use a Gas stove, then use a Gas stove. Please don't use a Trangia with a Gas burner. It is just too sad for words.......
For me the main points are to be able to make hot drinks and cook food, and to do those safely, and to keep the mass of the kit as low as possible.

I don't use gas with our Trangia, but if that enabled me to meet these objectives better I would.

Is this is a Classical/ Romantic dichotomy? : - )

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Jdsk wrote: 18 May 2022, 10:14am Is this is a Classical/ Romantic dichotomy? : - )
What's your most important cooking item: a knife for Chopin or the Handel on the pot?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 18 May 2022, 10:30am
Jdsk wrote: 18 May 2022, 10:14am Is this is a Classical/ Romantic dichotomy? : - )
What's your most important cooking item: a knife for Chopin or the Handel on the pot?
I know -- it's the deep purple stuff -- he drinks up the leftovers.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

When I think of a Trangia I too think of a meths / spirit fuelled stove but surely it is more than just that. The Trangia is a durable low weight arrangement built for stability, for (packed) compactness of stove and pans, for protection of and from the flame, and for best use of what heat comes from the burner. I can relate to someone saying that a Trangia without a traditional burner is somehow ‘wrong’ (I feel similarly), but on the other hand pragmatism is a wonderful thing too and the most important thing is having the benefits of a rather effective cooking arrangement. The option of a gas burner is surely a helpful plus that gives flexibility to provision of a heating flame. However, to my mind, the brand will loose something distinctive and valuable if the meths / spirit burner becomes the option and gas the standard supplied heater.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Cowsham wrote: 19 May 2022, 12:21am
Bmblbzzz wrote: 18 May 2022, 10:30am
I know -- it's the deep purple stuff -- he drinks up the leftovers.
:D :D :D
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Carlton green wrote: 19 May 2022, 7:55am When I think of a Trangia I too think of a meths / spirit fuelled stove but surely it is more than just that. The Trangia is a durable low weight arrangement built for stability, for (packed) compactness of stove and pans, for protection of and from the flame, and for best use of what heat comes from the burner. I can relate to someone saying that a Trangia without a traditional burner is somehow ‘wrong’ (I feel similarly), but on the other hand pragmatism is a wonderful thing too and the most important thing is having the benefits of a rather effective cooking arrangement. The option of a gas burner is surely a helpful plus that gives flexibility to provision of a heating flame. However, to my mind, the brand will loose something distinctive and valuable if the meths / spirit burner becomes the option and gas the standard supplied heater.
I don't have a Trangia but I've done ample Trangia-observation while friends and others have been using them. It may be stable, protected and efficient, but it certainly isn't compact!