What's the best camping stove?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cowsham

Re: What's the best camping stove?

Post by Cowsham »

Cowsham wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 1:26pm
Jdsk wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 10:15am
Cowsham wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 10:09am
Yes there's Feltons in Ramsey about 10 miles away, b&q is in an industrial estate outside Douglas and there's Millets in Douglas. Normally I'd get over on the Wednesday boat, pick up a gas canister in Millets in Douglas ( cos you're not allowed to carry fuel on the boat ) and cycle the 15 miles up to camp. This year though I'm going over with my brother who's not a cyclist so will be a bit stranded and it's the Sunday boat so a lot of shops will be shut. Where I'm camping there's one little shop which probably won't have fuel of any sort but has food ( if you get to it early )

I could make a run myself to Feltons to get fuel on the Monday but don't want to be travelling too far after that as I think the 15 miles to camp will be enough for my brother. On the plus side he's a great cook and likes cooking, hence the need for a better stove. ( both of us big IOM TT fans )
Are you allowed meths on the boat?

Jonathan
Nope!

It is not permitted to travel with Dangerous Goods (which include explosives, gases, including compressed air in diving bottles, flammable liquids or solids or corrosive or toxic goods, etc, or containers that have previously carried these substances) without our prior written permission which must be obtained at least 24 hours prior to travel. For further information regarding security, prohibited articles, firearms or dangerous goods please contact our Reservations Team.

I'm not doing the written permission -- I know the answer I'll get
Told the bro about buying the trangia with the gas burner -- he asked "is it the puncture type gas cans ? " I says " no it's the screw type"

He says that's good and reminded me of the time we were waiting in the welcome centre ( ferry terminal in Douglas hospitality part where you wait to get your ticket processed to board ) on our way home when an officer saw our gas burner with the cylinder still attached, told us to go outside and remove the cylinder before we were allowed to board.

Loads o vapour and gas that day and a bit embarrassing. We'll remember to release the gas before we go down to the ferry.
I am here. Where are you?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

It is not permitted to travel with Dangerous Goods (which include explosives, gases, including compressed air in diving bottles, flammable liquids or solids or corrosive or toxic goods, etc, or containers that have previously carried these substances) without our prior written permission which must be obtained at least 24 hours prior to travel. For further information regarding security, prohibited articles, firearms or dangerous goods please contact our Reservations Team.
Technically, of course, this means you can't take a bottle of whisky on board as it's a flammable liquid, but everyone knows intoxicating flammable liquor is safe where all those other things are dangerous, so that's all right then...

Friends and I did once run a Trangia on a particularly dreadful blend someone had at a bothy. It does work but at only ~40% ABV it's not the best, but in that case we certainly weren't going to drink it.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

pjclinch wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 1:14pm
Technically, of course, this means you can't take a bottle of whisky on board as it's a flammable liquid, but everyone knows intoxicating flammable liquor is safe where all those other things are dangerous, so that's all right then...

Friends and I did once run a Trangia on a particularly dreadful blend someone had at a bothy. It does work but at only ~40% ABV it's not the best, but in that case we certainly weren't going to drink it.

Pete.
Jonathan says he just drinks what's left. :lol:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 3:42pm
Cowsham wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 1:26pm It is not permitted to travel with Dangerous Goods (which include explosives, gases, including compressed air in diving bottles, flammable liquids or solids or corrosive or toxic goods, etc, or containers that have previously carried these substances) without our prior written permission which must be obtained at least 24 hours prior to travel. For further information regarding security, prohibited articles, firearms or dangerous goods please contact our Reservations Team.

Jonathan says he just drinks what's left.
You may have missed a crucial part of the cunning plan... the contents of the reserve bottle are specifically selected in advance to satisfy both purposes!

: - )

Jonathan
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Just wondering, what might someone get away with carrying in an old Gin or Vodka bottle? I was thinking some form of clear Trangia fuel, but whatever works for you - I’ve no idea if Gin or Vodka would work in a spirit stove.

I wonder if surgical spirits works in a Trangia. https://www.boots.com/boots-surgical-sp ... l-10075125
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 6:01pm
Cowsham wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 3:42pm

Jonathan says he just drinks what's left.
You may have missed a crucial part of the cunning plan... the contents of the reserve bottle are specifically selected in advance to satisfy both purposes!

: - )

Jonathan
So that's what cutting it with water means or is just save the good stuff till last?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

pedalsheep wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 11:55am
slowster wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 11:01am
freiston wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 12:21am a slow porridge that doesn't stick to the pan so much
I would replace the outer pot with the non-stick version. The non-stick coating is protected by the inner pot when packed up. Obviously only non-metal utensils should be used with non-stick, but it should be a doddle to clean.
The hard anodized pots also have great non stick qualities and are less easy to damage. I wouldn't try frying anything in the standard aluminium frying pan unless you enjoy scrubbing!
I'd always go for hard anodized pots whatever the burner. They're decently non-stick and unlike teflon, it doesn't wear off.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 2:50pm
I'd always go for hard anodized pots whatever the burner. They're decently non-stick and unlike teflon, it doesn't wear off.
Do you recommend any special care when cleaning?
I do have a hard anodized 25 but not used much.
Tend to use my plain ally 27 and to tell the truth have never had any problems using/cleaning the two pots after a bit of soaking - I like the fact that no special care needed. Near indestructible.
Sweep
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

No special care needed for hard anodizing to my knowledge. But I dare say it depends on what you've cooked and how!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I did it today. Ordered a Primus Omnilite Ti. I've been prevaricating for months. Getting yet another MSR Pocket Rocket (would be my 3rd) is not a viable option. Whether I'll take a fuel bottle or just use it as a better gas I'm still thinking and answer will probably depend on how my luggage fits on the bent (I now have some large banana side panniers but yet to sort fitting them and whether that allows room for bottle cages safely on/under seat.

Ian
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

The Trangia 25 arrived today -- a bit disappointed that the strainer doesn't come with it.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cowsham wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 8:44pm The Trangia 25 arrived today -- a bit disappointed that the strainer doesn't come with it.
It never has come with any of the "kits" as far as i know. Why were you expecting it?
Sweep
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Sweep wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 9:02pm
Cowsham wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 8:44pm The Trangia 25 arrived today -- a bit disappointed that the strainer doesn't come with it.
It never has come with any of the "kits" as far as i know. Why were you expecting it?
Quite a few videos seem to show the strainer -- also noted the saucepan had a small dent in it which I'll live with. Still awaiting the spirit burner and kettle which may arrive today.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cowsham wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 10:14am
Sweep wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 9:02pm
Quite a few videos seem to show the strainer -- also noted the saucepan had a small dent in it which I'll live with. Still awaiting the spirit burner and kettle which may arrive today.
curious "kit" you seem to have bought there as on the other hand I thought ALL came with the burner.
I can recommend the strainer - there are of course two sizes if you are buying one separately.
There's also an ally plate available as an extra which I like to use as a lid to the saucepans rather than the frying pan.
Sweep
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 6:28pmTend to use my plain ally 27 and to tell the truth have never had any problems using/cleaning the two pots after a bit of soaking - I like the fact that no special care needed. Near indestructible.
We prefer the uncoated surface. Abrasive pad lives in the kettle.

Jonathan