What's the best camping stove?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
SA_SA_SA

Re: What's the best camping stove?

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Sweep wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 6:27pm
SA_SA_SA wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 5:24pm
The 25 has the advantage than the saucepans are big enough to hold a cyclist sized dinner where the 27s' are not.... :)
I have both the 25 and 27. It's definitely true that you can't cook a lot of pasta in a 27. Tho there are other carbs, possibly more convenient ones as well.
I should have added that the 27 therefore requires the extra weight and bulk of a bowl to eat from, having cooked pasta etc in one inner pot and the rest in the outer.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
horizon

Post by horizon »

Paulatic wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 10:48pm For me it’s a mini trangia. As a solo traveller it fills all my needs and takes up little space.
I'm very tempted by the mini Trangia. The comparative weight of my 27-8 (UL/HA with kettle) is 825 gms against the mini weighing 350 gms but doing much the same job. That's a substantial weight saving (half a kilo).

The downside of course would be the taking away of my 27 which at the moment simply does it all and brilliantly (apart from extinguishing the flame :mrgreen: ). The real deal breaker though might be the windshield which to me is the Trangia's greatest asset.

I'm going to give it some thought. It would only be for very lightweight trips but could fit the bill.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

horizon wrote: 21 Aug 2022, 2:42pm
Paulatic wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 10:48pm For me it’s a mini trangia. As a solo traveller it fills all my needs and takes up little space.
I'm very tempted by the mini Trangia. The comparative weight of my 27-8 (UL/HA with kettle) is 825 gms against the mini weighing 350 gms but doing much the same job. That's a substantial weight saving (half a kilo).

The downside of course would be the taking away of my 27 which at the moment simply does it all and brilliantly (apart from extinguishing the flame :mrgreen: ). The real deal breaker though might be the windshield which to me is the Trangia's greatest asset.

I'm going to give it some thought. It would only be for very lightweight trips but could fit the bill.
I carry a modified foil tray wrapped around my fuel bottle as a wind break must weigh around 5 gms.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

I'm thinking about buying a new Trangia, but they're available in different materials since the last time I bought one.

Is the 'Ultralight' material just the upper and lower windshields, or are the pans also 'ultralight'?

Is the Hard Anodised version a good choice, or is the non-stick version easier to cook with and look after?

Are there still concerns about bare aluminium causing Alzheimer's disease? If so, are the UL\HA versions safer?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

A chum of mine recently bought the hard anodized version and was off for a camping trip last week - I'll see what he has to say...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

deejayen wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 5:25pm I'm thinking about buying a new Trangia, but they're available in different materials since the last time I bought one.

Is the 'Ultralight' material just the upper and lower windshields, or are the pans also 'ultralight'?

Is the Hard Anodised version a good choice, or is the non-stick version easier to cook with and look after?

Are there still concerns about bare aluminium causing Alzheimer's disease? If so, are the UL\HA versions safer?
I bought the non stick one with the gas burner and have to say I'm very impressed with it. I also bought the spirit burner and kettle for it.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134015878451 ... media=COPY

The gas burner is very good but to be honest it's too hot. Use the spirit burner it's less hassle to setup and has a more controllable heat at lower settings -- also means you can put it inside the kettle which in turn fits inside the 25 system. One fill of the spirit burner is enough for all day tea or cooking a meal plus tea for two. Less to carry around. With a bottle of meths you'll never be stuck. The non stick pan and pots are very durable so far ( used it on two trips and about to set off on a third )

Can highly recommend -- I see posts about using tin foil as a wind shield, folding stuff up -- no! When your tent is struggling to stay on the ground the trangia will be still cooking your supper.
I am here. Where are you?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

deejayen wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 5:25pm Is the Hard Anodised version a good choice, or is the non-stick version easier to cook with and look after?

As applicable to all products, not just trangias, aluminium is now known not to be linked to Alzheimer's. Teflon and similar non-stick coatings, however, are harmful when they start to flake off (and their production is toxic too).
horizon

Post by horizon »

I have the Hard Anodised - it's just the pans. Brilliant.
Aluminium isn't very nice but that POV is still disputed. AFAIK it's the lightest.
I wouldn't touch non-stick but others may choose it.
Duossal is probably the best (and most expensive/heaviest?).

I'm just glad that Trangia do all the versions as my fear is that non-stick would win (as it has with the mini frying pan). With the greatest respect to all on here, I'm surprised anyone still buys non-stick frying pans but then chocolate teapots are still the rage.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 6:50pm
deejayen wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 5:25pm ...
As applicable to all products, not just trangias, aluminium is now known not to be linked to Alzheimer's. Teflon and similar non-stick coatings, however, are harmful when they start to flake off (and their production is toxic too).
Alzheimer's Society: "Metals, aluminium and dementia":
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dem ... d-dementia

Jonathan
horizon

Post by horizon »

Cowsham wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 6:18pm The non stick pan and pots are very durable so far ( used it on two trips and about to set off on a third )
Personally I wouldn't have chosen it but I get the impression from your other posts that you will use it wisely and carefully and get good use and benefit from it.
also means you can put it inside the kettle which in turn fits inside the 25 system.
Something tells me you shouldn't do that but I cannot remember why or from where. I keep mine separate but yes it does fit, even in the smaller 27 kettle.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Aaaagh! "Hardanodized" as one word!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

horizon wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 7:08pm
also means you can put it inside the kettle which in turn fits inside the 25 system.
Something tells me you shouldn't do that but I cannot remember why or from where. I keep mine separate but yes it does fit, even in the smaller 27 kettle.
The burner is brass, the kettle is aluminium.
If there's any moisture in the kettle, the kettle can suffer galvanic corrosion where the burner touches, possibly leading to a leaky kettle (eventually).

Having said that, kettle water is generally pure, rather than salty, so the risk isn't all that bad. It's still best to put the burner in a plastic bag if you store it in the kettle though.

Besides which, any contamination from meths that may leak out of the burner would make your tea taste horrid,
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

andrew_s wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 8:02pm
horizon wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 7:08pm
The burner is brass, the kettle is aluminium.
If there's any moisture in the kettle, the kettle can suffer galvanic corrosion where the burner touches, possibly leading to a leaky kettle (eventually).

Having said that, kettle water is generally pure, rather than salty, so the risk isn't all that bad. It's still best to put the burner in a plastic bag if you store it in the kettle though.

Besides which, any contamination from meths that may leak out of the burner would make your tea taste horrid,
Burner in a 'clear' plastic bag would be a good idea -- that way you'd see if meths is leaking out of it or not ( although if you haven't damaged the rubber seal by using the screw lid instead of the regulator ring to snuff out the flame it should be fluid tight ) -- plus it'll keep any corrosion between the two metals at bay. Just about to pack mine tonight so that's what I'll do.

Always learning.
I am here. Where are you?
freiston

Post by freiston »

horizon wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 7:03pm With the greatest respect to all on here, I'm surprised anyone still buys non-stick frying pans but then chocolate teapots are still the rage.
When I bought my Trangia 27, I wanted Duossal pans. Iirc, my choice was severely limited by availability at the "right price". I got the Trangia 27-23 Duosall UL/D in 2018 for £70 which I don't think was bad at the time but not a lot different now. It came with Duossal saucepans but the non-stick frying pan (my 25 came with Duossal saucepans and frying pan).

I think I've only ever used the frying pan once or twice. The non-stick surface is not like any I've seen before but my experience is limited - I don't use non-stick pans at home. I also don't use thin lightweight aluminium pans at home either and I certainly wouldn't choose one to fry an egg in - but camp cooking has different parameters. Notwithstanding damaging the surface, I reckon it's not a bad pan and I would happily use it.

Around the same time that I got the 27, I also got a 24 set (2.5ltr billy can with lid, 25-sized kettle, 1.5ltr saucepan and a 20cm (alu) frying pan. If I remove the kettle and the 1.5ltr pan, the 27 will fit inside the billy can with lid and frying pan, strapped together in the usual Trangia way. The 20cm frying pan will also go over the top of the 27 by itself, under the strap to make a slightly larger and heavier 27. With reference to SA_SA_SA's post above, the frying pan doubles as a good sized plate for two-pot 27 meals too
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)