What's the best camping stove?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
TrevA

Re: What's the best camping stove?

Post by TrevA »

B&Q in Douglas is open on Sundays

https://www.diy.com/store/1095
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Cowsham wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 2:11pm I get asked every time I arrive at the port " have you any flammable fuels or camping gas canisters? "

Sometimes they have a good root around in my gear -- happened with the van too so well used to it.
I’m a little puzzled and perhaps the thread has gone off at an unintended tangent. It now seems to me like you go over to the Isle of Man every year and camp when you stay. The Ferry Company’s stance on camping fuel seems weird to me but it’s not negotiable. Each time you visit you have the camping fuel difficulty and therefore you ‘must’ have found a way to cope with that issue already? I wonder what the ways around the issue have been for you and other campers?

Perhaps the question in your original post needs to be re-asked with some additional details to say what your size and weight constraints are and the flexibility hoped for from the stove. That just collects the details together to help people to post constructive responses, maybe some conversation between you and your Brother would be good too - just see what cooking facilities he’s hoping to have.

To my mind the basic meth’s burners (plus their stands and windshields) look like a simple, light and workable solution that will boil your water and keep you fed. Maybe not fed to the highest culinary standards possible of camp site cooking, but at least perfectly adequately.
Last edited by Carlton green on 22 Apr 2022, 11:26am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

TrevA wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 7:28pm B&Q in Douglas is open on Sundays

https://www.diy.com/store/1095
Closes at 4pm on Sundays -- we wouldn't be there on time. We can get something in Tesco though for that nights food. ( if the ferry is on time 2019 we arrived after 6pm about 2 an a half hours late due to high winds )
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Carlton green wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 11:15am
Cowsham wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 2:11pm I get asked every time I arrive at the port " have you any flammable fuels or camping gas canisters? "

Sometimes they have a good root around in my gear -- happened with the van too so well used to it.
I’m a little puzzled and perhaps the thread has gone off at an unintended tangent. It now seems to me like you go over to the Isle of Man every year and camp when you stay. The Ferry Company’s stance on camping fuel seems weird to me but it’s not negotiable. Each time you visit you have the camping fuel difficulty and therefore you ‘must’ have found a way to cope with that issue already? I wonder what the ways around the issue have been for you and other campers?

Perhaps the question in your original post needs to be re-asked with some additional details to say what your size and weight constraints are and the flexibility hoped for from the stove. That just collects the details together to help people to post constructive responses, maybe some conversation between you and your Brother would be good too - just see what cooking facilities he’s hoping to have.

To my mind the basic meth’s burners (plus their stands and windshields) look like a simple, light and workable solution that will boil your water and keep you fed. Maybe not fed to the highest culinary standards possible of camp site cooking, but at least perfectly adequately.
We used to go in a van in our youth taking a couple of motorbikes with tents and camping gear with us.

Due to this being near impossible now I have been doing the trip alone and just put up with any hardships that occur like not getting food the first night. Eating on the go or cycling 10 miles to a town for food. My whole premise is that I wouldn't expect him to do that and if we can cook using stuff from the nearby shop ( it shuts at 6pm on non race days but can be shut all day on race days cos it's on the circuit but I can buy stuff early morning to cook later ) normally this wouldn't worry me as I can just cycle and eat out -- another caveat is, my brother is skint so that's not really an option every night either.

So this year I thought I'll take a proper camping stove with me and so we won't be so limited.

That's the situation -- hope that all makes sense.
horizon

Post by horizon »

simonineaston wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 11:44am Talking of a windy environment... no-one's mentioned it yet but the Trangia system really comes into its own when it's windy a) 'cos it has an integral and effective stand /windshield and b) the design actually uses drafts to its advantage - up to a point, the windier it is, the better it burns :-)
In fact, the Trangia works and the others don't (in windy conditions). Given that cycle camping almost inevitably means being outside, this to me is the defining factor.

I bought (but haven't used yet) a gas burner for the Trangia so if meths is your problem, even that can be solved.

I do like Campinggaz Bleuet stoves: I started off with them (in 1970), found them cheap and reliable and easy to use. Except in the wind. So I was late to Trangias but wish I had switched earlier.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I remember what a revelation it was to find how windproof my newly aquired 'Trange' was... the way the flame really got going when it was windy seemed to my youthful self almost magical! Poor old Gaz stove would pop out with a Poof! at anything over Beaufort Scale 1 !
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

With all that info one of these Trangia burners must be bought and tried out -- plenty of wind up here for that test.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

We used to go in a van in our youth taking a couple of motorbikes with tents and camping gear with us.

Due to this being near impossible now I have been doing the trip alone and just put up with any hardships that occur like not getting food the first night. Eating on the go or cycling 10 miles to a town for food. My whole premise is that I wouldn't expect him to do that and if we can cook using stuff from the nearby shop ( it shuts at 6pm on non race days but can be shut all day on race days cos it's on the circuit but I can buy stuff early morning to cook later ) normally this wouldn't worry me as I can just cycle and eat out -- another caveat is, my brother is skint so that's not really an option every night either.

So this year I thought I'll take a proper camping stove with me and so we won't be so limited.

Thanks @ Cowsham, that gives a better perspective on your needs and situation.

If you have the skills and time but no spare cash then a proven range of meth’s burners can be made at minimal cost from scrap cans, etc. Trangias are good, but they aren’t cheap and if the cook needs a second one then it gets pricey - and bulky too.

I suggest a trial run (trip away on your Mainland to iron out problems early) before going to the Island and I wish you well with the adventure(s).

Edit. http://zenstoves.net/

I suppose an esbit stove for first night use wouldn’t be OK with the Ferry people or even a candle stove?
Last edited by Carlton green on 22 Apr 2022, 3:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Simon's two wheels

Post by Simon's two wheels »

Trangia (see posts passim) for versatility.

A Fire Maple for compact and quick soloing.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Regarding the ferry company's terms and conditions about hazardous substances, I would email their Reservations Team and ask about fuel for camping stoves. It might be that they will routinely allow such fuel to carried provided they have advance notice and the quantity is below a certain limit, e.g. <500ml of meths or a single small gas cartridge. I was going to suggest buying a cheap hexamine/Esbit stove and tablets, if only for use on the first night, but even solid fuel tablets appear to be fall within the ferry company's definition of hazardous goods.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Carlton green wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 1:50pm

Thanks @ Cowsham, that gives a better perspective on your needs and situation.

If you have the skills and time but no spare cash then a proven range of meth’s burners can be made at minimal cost from scrap cans, etc. Trangias are good, but they aren’t cheap and if the cook needs a second one then it gets pricey - and bulky too.

I suggest a trial run (trip away on your Mainland to iron out problems early) before going to the Island and I wish you well with the adventure(s).

Edit. http://zenstoves.net/

I suppose an esbit stove for first night use wouldn’t be OK with the Ferry people or even a candle stove?
I don't mind spending the money on a good stove -- I'll use it on many another cycle tour so not too worried about price it's just for the option of staying at camp a lot more when normally I could cover 80 miles in a day when I'm over myself. I'm resigned to being a bit more sedimentary this year to help my brother enjoy the racing.
keefwaddo

Post by keefwaddo »

Psamathe wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 11:07pm I've had two pocket rockets, 1st let me down mid tour so was replaced along the way. 2nd let me down mid next tour so had to be replaced along the way.

Should have learnt after the 1st but I didn't. I have learnt now and will be taking something different next tour.

Ian
I have had problems with everything I bought from MSR, including tents and stoves. I feel they do not test enough, despite their name. I never buy from them now.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

keefwaddo wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 2:07pm
Psamathe wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 11:07pm I've had two pocket rockets, 1st let me down mid tour so was replaced along the way. 2nd let me down mid next tour so had to be replaced along the way.

Should have learnt after the 1st but I didn't. I have learnt now and will be taking something different next tour.

Ian
I have had problems with everything I bought from MSR, including tents and stoves. I feel they do not test enough, despite their name. I never buy from them now.
(Off-topic, sorry) me as well. worst failure (beyond filling my tend with gas) was my Hubba Hubba tent failure mid tour and the complete lack of any support from MSR. I was very fortunate in that I purchased it from an excellent retailer (Ultralight Outdoor Gear) who recognised my situation and went above and beyond to help me taking the financial "hit" themselves (despite MSR). MSR is expensive stuff and in my experience they neither have the quality nor the suppoort to justify their prices.
https://psamathe.net/msr-hubba-hubba-shield-review/

Ian
freiston

Post by freiston »

I have a Trangia 27 and 25, both Duossal and both with kettles. I have alcohol burners and a gas burner (Go System gas "conversion kit" - basically a copy of the Trangia gas burner).

For stability and performance in windy weather, I think you'd be hard pushed to beat them. On uneven ground, it's not too difficult to find stuff to put under the rim of the base to make it level without compromising stability too.

The alcohol burner, if you've never used one before, is a surprise in operation - silent with an invisible flame (in bright daylight) - quite disconcerting at first. It is not a strong heat (but can get close to it in a high wind) and is hard to control. The simmer ring is basically a disc that can be drawn across the top of the burner to adjust the aperture. Once it's on and the stove is burning, it can be quite a challenge trying to adjust it (I usually use metal cutlery). I always end up with very sooty pan bottoms too. Still nice to use and gets the job done; I like it with the simmer ring well over for slow simmers.

The gas burner is typical of gas burners (but with the wonderful wind shield). Mine has (as does the Trangia version), a preheat loop for when the weather is cold and the gas is struggling to vaporise.

Both burners are quite small and it's not much bother to carry both a gas and an alcohol burner to give you some flexibility - you could even use the alcohol burner as a stand-alone second stove, using tent skewer pegs as a pot stand and something to shield the wind.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

freiston wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 3:21pm I always end up with very sooty pan bottoms too.
Some Trangisti cut the fuel with water to reduce this. We don't.

Jonathan