What's the best camping stove?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Dingdong

Re: What's the best camping stove?

Post by Dingdong »

Jetboil is the go to stove for me, lightweight, fast boil and relatively inexpensive.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

horizon wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 7:03pm I have the Hard Anodised - it's just the pans. Brilliant.
Aluminium isn't very nice but that POV is still disputed. AFAIK it's the lightest.
I wouldn't touch non-stick but others may choose it.
Duossal is probably the best (and most expensive/heaviest?).

I'm just glad that Trangia do all the versions as my fear is that non-stick would win (as it has with the mini frying pan). With the greatest respect to all on here, I'm surprised anyone still buys non-stick frying pans but then chocolate teapots are still the rage.
the ally does have the plus point that in some ways it is maybe the easiest to clean after some soaking - ie you don't have to worry about degrading any special surface. I regularly use a small trangia ally pan at home for small things on a gas ring. It's as tough as any domestic pan in my experience.
I did buy a duossal frying pan from outdooraction of blackburn (ebay outlet listed upthread) for one of my Trangias but haven't used much yet.
agree with you about non-stick.
I blame all those 60s astronauts popularising it with their damn fry-ups.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Dingdong wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 5:23am Jetboil is the go to stove for me, lightweight, fast boil and relatively inexpensive.
mm
as in
jet
boil

?

bit limited for cooking?
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 7:06pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 6:50pm
deejayen wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 5:25pm ...
Are there still concerns about bare aluminium causing Alzheimer's disease? If so, are the UL\HA versions safer?
As applicable to all products, not just trangias, aluminium is now known not to be linked to Alzheimer's. Teflon and similar non-stick coatings, however, are harmful when they start to flake off (and their production is toxic too).
Alzheimer's Society: "Metals, aluminium and dementia":
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dem ... d-dementia

Jonathan
thanks - I think that means that we can forget (with an active healthy brain I stress) about the maybe problem.
Not being rats and injecting massive doses into ourselves.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

horizon wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 7:08pm
Cowsham wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 6:18pm The non stick pan and pots are very durable so far ( used it on two trips and about to set off on a third )
Personally I wouldn't have chosen it but I get the impression from your other posts that you will use it wisely and carefully and get good use and benefit from it.
also means you can put it inside the kettle which in turn fits inside the 25 system.
Something tells me you shouldn't do that but I cannot remember why or from where. I keep mine separate but yes it does fit, even in the smaller 27 kettle.
I thought Trangia suggested putting it on the kettle inside that yellow placcy bag.
I've never felt comfortable doing that though - so always keep separately in my plastic screw nivea pot - fits perfectly - no problem.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

freiston wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 12:03am p=1717733#p1717733]SA_SA_SA's post above[/url], the frying pan doubles as a good sized plate for two-pot 27 meals too
you can also get from some places a separate plate - also handy as a lid for pots if you don't want to/can't use the frying pan as a lid. Sits on top of the frying pan when packed.
Last edited by Sweep on 25 Aug 2022, 9:30am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
freiston

Post by freiston »

I think I'm losing my faculties (not related to using aluminium pans). I swear that I just read in this thread, someone (Sweep?) asking what the difference between Duossal 1 and Duossal 2.0 is - but I can't find it anywhere now.

I didn't even know there was a Duossal 1 and 2. I tried a quick search and couldn't find anything except Trangia listing Duossal 2.0 in their materials guide (no mention of original Duossal). In that guide, they say this about Duossal 2.0:
Trangia Materials Guide wrote:Duossal 2.0™, unique to Trangia, is made from aluminium and stainless steel that have been laminated together under extreme pressure. An optimal combination where the aluminium outer layer has excellent heat conducting abilities while the inner layer in stainless steel makes the pot durable and easy to clean. The material is 0.8 mm thick, of which 0.3 mm is stainless steel; these are robust pots for real cooking in the outdoors.
I'm wondering if they've changed the thicknesses of the layers in some way.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 7:49am
horizon wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 7:08pm
Cowsham wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 6:18pm The non stick pan and pots are very durable so far ( used it on two trips and about to set off on a third )
Personally I wouldn't have chosen it but I get the impression from your other posts that you will use it wisely and carefully and get good use and benefit from it.
also means you can put it inside the kettle which in turn fits inside the 25 system.
Something tells me you shouldn't do that but I cannot remember why or from where. I keep mine separate but yes it does fit, even in the smaller 27 kettle.
I thought Trangia suggested putting it on the kettle inside that yellow placcy bag.
I've never felt comfortable doing that though - so always keep separately in my plastic screw nivea pot - fits perfectly - no problem.
Inside a plastic bag. After that it's a matter of choice. : - )

Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 08.49.44.png
https://trangia.se/wp-content/uploads/2 ... burner.pdf

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 7:42am
Dingdong wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 5:23am Jetboil is the go to stove for me, lightweight, fast boil and relatively inexpensive.
mm
as in
jet
boil

?

bit limited for cooking?
That's why I asked this question
PH wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 10:55pm Do you want to cook or heat things up?
My choices are - Trangia for cooking, Jetboil (Or similar, I have a Primus Lite) for heating things up (Mostly water)
If you don't know what it's intended purpose is, you can't answer which will be best.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

freiston wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 8:49am I think I'm losing my faculties (not related to using aluminium pans). I swear that I just read in this thread, someone (Sweep?) asking what the difference between Duossal 1 and Duossal 2.0 is - but I can't find it anywhere now.

I didn't even know there was a Duossal 1 and 2. I tried a quick search and couldn't find anything except Trangia listing Duossal 2.0 in their materials guide (no mention of original Duossal). In that guide, they say this about Duossal 2.0:
Trangia Materials Guide wrote:Duossal 2.0™, unique to Trangia, is made from aluminium and stainless steel that have been laminated together under extreme pressure. An optimal combination where the aluminium outer layer has excellent heat conducting abilities while the inner layer in stainless steel makes the pot durable and easy to clean. The material is 0.8 mm thick, of which 0.3 mm is stainless steel; these are robust pots for real cooking in the outdoors.
I'm wondering if they've changed the thicknesses of the layers in some way.
Fear not - I went back and edited that out as I found that I had asked the question before some time ago in another thread. a second google search turned it up.
viewtopic.php?t=121683
But maybe I should be concerned :)
Sweep
freiston

Post by freiston »

Phew!
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

I was sure I read somewhere on the Trangia website yesterday that Duossal has been discontinued (not just out of stock), but I can't see that today.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

deejayen wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 11:09am I was sure I read somewhere on the Trangia website yesterday that Duossal has been discontinued (not just out of stock), but I can't see that today.
??
interesting - would be odd if they have discontinued it twice.
The old blue eyes of camping kit?
Sweep
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

freiston wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 12:03am ...... The 20cm frying pan will also go over the top of the 27 by itself, under the strap to make a slightly larger and heavier 27. With reference to SA_SA_SA's post above, the frying pan doubles as a good sized plate for two-pot 27 meals too
Trangia now make a deep (nonstick only) 'frypan' for the 25 (they call it a saute pan.... https://trangia.se/en/shop/saute-stekpanna-25/):
a version sized for the 27 would solve the same problem, whilst keeping its compactness, although nonfryers might prefer a lighter plain UL/HA one. The more people ask them for such a thing....
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

freiston wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 9:55amPhew!
:lol:
deejayen wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 11:09am I was sure I read somewhere on the Trangia website yesterday that Duossal has been discontinued (not just out of stock), but I can't see that today.
Not you too? :shock:
I am here. Where are you?