Google maps cycling Vs walking.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jamesh

Google maps cycling Vs walking.

Post by Jamesh »

Have been looking at long summer rides

When I put walking into Google maps the distance is significantly shorter than cycling despite both using roads / pavements??

Does anyone know what the parameters are for cycling on Google maps does it rule out busy routes / hills???
Nearholmer

Re: Google maps cycling Vs walking.

Post by Nearholmer »

I’m not sure why it gives different distances, but I do know is that it is not a very good navigation tool for cycling, which I think is a function of it not using enough nodes/segments, it’s ignorance of some cycle-usable paths, and it being a bit too keen on busy roads ….. it prioritises time over safety.

Having tried it when I first increased my distances after semi-retiring, I quickly migrated to Cycle Streets, which is a slightly quirky, but very good once you get your head round it, free app. Cycle Travel is perhaps even better. Komoot seems good but flippin’ expensive and IMO only worth the money if you want all its Facebook-like features (I don’t!).
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Nearholmer wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 10:12am . Komoot seems good but flippin’ expensive and IMO only worth the money if you want all its Facebook-like features (I don’t!).
Have heard of folk singing the praises of Komoot - dare I ask what the FB features are?

I tend to use google maps for a rough and ready approximation of a cycling trip distance but wouldn't dream of using it to produce a ride I would pedal. Cyclestreets and/or cycletravel - usually the latter.
Sweep
gom

Post by gom »

I've been using https://cycle.travel/ recently and so far so (very) good.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Sweep wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 10:55am
Have heard of folk singing the praises of Komoot - dare I ask what the FB features are?
You can share rides, create friend groups (say a cycle club for example), message people within the app and it'll pop up "route suggestions" similar to FB suggesting friends you might know or things you might want to buy. You do have to pay for the mapping - you can buy Regions for a couple of £ or Continents / the whole world for £30 or so.
Sweep wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 10:55am
I tend to use google maps for a rough and ready approximation of a cycling trip distance but wouldn't dream of using it to produce a ride I would pedal. Cyclestreets and/or cycletravel - usually the latter.
Same - it's useful for a quick "how far is that?" guesstimate and actually the more you use it the better it gets. Check your Google Maps timeline - it's normally pretty good at figuring out your mode of transport but initially it'll guess cycling speed at about 10-12mph, it needs to "learn" a bit about you in order to work out that you can cycle faster or that you go cycling on tracks.

As a result, when it plans rides, it'll work off roads and cycle lanes - it's not bad in London, it'll route you reasonably reliably along Cycle Superhighways for example.

Strava route planning is far and away the best for me. Better granularity between road / off-road options.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ta for reply "rare".
I can't think of anything worse than those "FB like" Komoot features :)
something else I don't have to worry about/frett that i might be missing out on.
Sweep
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

As if the “features” weren’t enough to put you off, it wants you to pay £60 for a cycling map of the U.K. that seems to be OSM.

My perusal of it was short!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

What differences are there between your walking and cycling routes. Could you legally cycle all the walking route?

Just had a quick test and in walking mode it took me on a path through a park (no cycling) and all on road when I put in cycling. 1.2 v 1.4 Kms.

I had a different problem when using in Portugal and Spain. When in cycle mode it often directed me onto unmade tracks as short cuts/more direct routes. I'd often switch to car mode which has no motorway or toll turned on to make sure I stayed on paved..
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Just using two routes recently Bradford to verwood and bude to verwood....

Both use roads all the way for both walking and cycling yet walking is significantly shorter
seajays

Post by seajays »

You could also try openstreetmap for directions - it has a couple of different cycle route engines...

https://www.openstreetmap.org/direction ... er_bicycle
https://www.openstreetmap.org/direction ... _osrm_bike

You can type in location or drag/drop the little red/green pins onto the map.
Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017 ••• Revolution Courier Race Disc '14 ••• Ultimate Curve Cargo Bike '22
My Strava
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Jamesh wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 9:52am Have been looking at long summer rides

When I put walking into Google maps the distance is significantly shorter than cycling despite both using roads / pavements??

Does anyone know what the parameters are for cycling on Google maps does it rule out busy routes / hills???
The answer appears to be no one knows, but you got lots of suggestions to use something else.

Thanks for the reply to my question. I use G maps a lot and haven't noticed the difference when the walking is all cyclable. I'll pay more attention in future if it shortens the distance.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

To be honest I don't really use online maps greatly.

I have a good sense of direction.

So I give myself a list of villages / towns I am going to pass through and set off.

Often I'll check the map when I stop for the next 30miles of cycling and record any difficult navigation decisions.

Funny that I'm rubbish at remembering stuff but when it comes to maps I can easily visualise where I need to go....
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

I mostly use RWGPS for areas I do not know well, or to plot a new course to determine the mileage for a later ride on a familiar part of the country. Once plotted I can visualize the route, so have no need there on with gazing at a map or a route on a Garmin/Yahoo.
jamm13dodger

Post by jamm13dodger »

Is it something as simple as google maps planning the cycle route avoiding footpaths as they are not for bicycles? If they are strict they will route you on Roads, RUPPs, BOATs, bridleways, etc but not footpaths. They may also not be able to differentiate between footpaths and shared use paths?
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

jamm13dodger wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 3:26pm Is it something as simple as google maps planning the cycle route avoiding footpaths as they are not for bicycles? If they are strict they will route you on Roads, RUPPs, BOATs, bridleways, etc but not footpaths. They may also not be able to differentiate between footpaths and shared use paths?
Conversely, they may specifically be routing you onto cycle paths. Try plotting a route across London as a good example - it'll take you onto Cycle Superhighways even if they're a bit out of your way.

Sections where for example a pedestrian could go up a flight of steps, it'll tell a cyclist to go the road route around - all of those "little" detours add a fair chunk of distance although it's still invariably quicker to ride.