electric bikes on ferries

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
reubenslater

electric bikes on ferries

Post by reubenslater »

Hi, I am thinking about taking the ferry to Roscoff from Plymouth and returning from Santander but, can I take an ebike on the ferry?
Jdsk

Re: electric bikes on ferries

Post by Jdsk »

There's some general discussion in the archives.

I'd ask the company directly as soon as possible, including what you should and shouldn't do with the battery.

Jonathan
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Whilst I agree with the above, what's the difference between an electic bike and an electric car? I'm guessing there's no issue with cars?
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

chris_suffolk wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 8:28pm Whilst I agree with the above, what's the difference between an electic bike and an electric car? I'm guessing there's no issue with cars?
What's more to the point, from the ferry companies viwpoint, might be whats the difference between a bicycle and a motorbike? (Carrying, storage, charging etc.)

As has been said, the best place to ask is the ferry company, both now and closer to departure time in case of change/implementation of policy. Might even be something on theier web site.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

rmurphy195 wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 10:02am
chris_suffolk wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 8:28pm Whilst I agree with the above, what's the difference between an electic bike and an electric car? I'm guessing there's no issue with cars?
What's more to the point, from the ferry companies viwpoint, might be whats the difference between a bicycle and a motorbike? (Carrying, storage, charging etc.)

As has been said, the best place to ask is the ferry company, both now and closer to departure time in case of change/implementation of policy. Might even be something on theier web site.
Yes a motorbike has a battery too so can't see why not -- is there any extra fee for cycles ?
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

reubenslater wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 5:13pm Hi, I am thinking about taking the ferry to Roscoff from Plymouth and returning from Santander but, can I take an ebike on the ferry?
Do they take a fee for cycles?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

It's the nature of the battery, not the battery itself.

I think they will allow e-bikes, but may well ban e-scooters, hoverboards, etc as per Eurostar.

I agree, check website and also the hazardous items that are banned.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

I'm off to France via DFDS Ferries Newhaven/Dieppe (half the price of Portsmouth (where I live)/Caen) in a few weeks time andI've looked at their website for anything on ebikes and lithium batteries and have drawn a complete blank.

There's plenty of info if I want to take a 1,000 rounds of ammunition though but I'm not going to Ukraine!

The nearest to anything at all was some mention of IMO Dangerous Goods - it seems that the IMO (International Maritime Organisation) define 'classes' of goods and Lithium Batteries are under Class 9 - what the heck that might mean in respect of travelling on a ferry, I've no idea what so ever!
temp.jpg
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

bikes4two wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 1:48pm I'm off to France via DFDS Ferries Newhaven/Dieppe (half the price of Portsmouth (where I live)/Caen) in a few weeks time andI've looked at their website for anything on ebikes and lithium batteries and have drawn a complete blank.
"E-bicycle
"Electronic bicycles belong to the same category as motorcycles."

https://www.dfds.com/en-gb/passenger-fe ... n/vehicles

I'd ask them directly, especially if I was considering charging on board

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

If the battery on an electric bike is considered a risk what about the battery on a Tesla?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reubenslater

Post by reubenslater »

Thanks everyone. Indeed there seems no info on it online. I'll call them and find out. As far as I'm aware if the battery is on the bike its ok, if its in luggage it might not be....
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Now you have (as good as it gets) an answer, I'll digress a bit.

When searching about this a while ago (electric vehicles on ferries) I found stuff about how the crew were having to be retrained in fire fighting because of the use of electric cars.

Obviously the the electric vehicle thing is something they are aware of and are taking action to accommodate them.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 2:04pm
bikes4two wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 1:48pm I'm off to France via DFDS Ferries Newhaven/Dieppe (half the price of Portsmouth (where I live)/Caen) in a few weeks time andI've looked at their website for anything on ebikes and lithium batteries and have drawn a complete blank.
"E-bicycle
"Electronic bicycles belong to the same category as motorcycles."

https://www.dfds.com/en-gb/passenger-fe ... n/vehicles

I'd ask them directly, especially if I was considering charging on board

Jonathan
Does that mean they charge the motorcycle fare rather than the one for bicycles.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

reubenslater wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 8:41pm Thanks everyone. Indeed there seems no info on it online. I'll call them and find out. As far as I'm aware if the battery is on the bike its ok, if its in luggage it might not be....
Keep the battery on the bike but don't call them you'll only get some young duffer all flustered on the other end of the phone.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

This reminds me of the strict airport security I recently endured (body searches, confiscation of
any liquids over 100ml in a bottle), as opposed to security at Eurotunnel or ferry terminals, where I've only ever experienced a cursory look at my passport and travel confirmation.