electric bikes on ferries

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
reubenslater

Re: electric bikes on ferries

Post by reubenslater »

Well, I went to Roscoff and back on the ferry. There was no question if the bike was electric or not. So, the answer to my own question is.........Yes, you can take an ebike on the ferry with no problem.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

reubenslater wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 12:26pm Well, I went to Roscoff and back on the ferry. There was no question if the bike was electric or not. So, the answer to my own question is.........Yes, you can take an ebike on the ferry with no problem.
Thanks for the update -- my brother went on his electric kit converted bike along with me on my leg powered bike to IOM from Belfast. No fee for bikes - no questions asked. Oh just the usual one " are you carrying any gas canisters ? " to which we replied "no" but they didn't search us. We had none anyway.

Glad you didn't call them about it in case some pen pusher gets an idea.
I am here. Where are you?
reubenslater

Post by reubenslater »

haha, yes, I was asked if I had flammable liquids, knives or multi tools. Of course not! Why would any cycle tourist ever carry these things????
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

reubenslater wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 1:33pm haha, yes, I was asked if I had flammable liquids, knives or multi tools. Of course not! Why would any cycle tourist ever carry these things????
There is the ever present danger of you taking the crew hostage and diverting the ship to the isle of man. I would have been inclined to do that at TT time, lucky for them my ship was going that way.
I am here. Where are you?
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I used to visit a prison workshop as part of my work. On the way in the van was checked, any tools, zip ties, ropes, petrol can etc were removed before entry. One week someone else was on duty, the WD40 could remain in the van "as it was water based". I didn't argue, could have been useful for work! (and they had the same in the workshop anyway).