A cold night ride to Whitstable that brought on Covid

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: A cold night ride to Whitstable that brought on Covid

Post by simonhill »

ndmbike wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 9:19pm
TrevA wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 9:05pm I’ve been looking at the Decathlon Forclaz Trek 100 which is £50 and gets some good reviews.
https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-j ... e=44340303

Any good?
I have an older version which is good for the money and has been excellent.

https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/waferlite-down-shirt
If you're flush!
I love down! I've got 2 lightweight down jackets. One cheapo one bought in Korea, much like the Uniqlo ones. I've also a better Patagonia one. They are wonderful for touring evening or chilly day wear. Lightweight, pack up very small and are very warm for weight. Rarely use for riding, but if I did would not want a hood.

They were fashionable recently and are appearing in charity shops. You can wash in machine, but dry carefully laid flat if possible and regularly fluff up feathers as it dries.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonhill wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 5:36pm

They were fashionable recently and are appearing in charity shops. You can wash in machine, but dry carefully laid flat if possible and regularly fluff up feathers as it dries.
Tk maxx usually have a fair few in tho confess i know nothing about relative merits of various brands, some mysterious.
I have a slightly wrong size snugpak thing i got cheap for sitting around in camp so appearance not critical. Wouldn't dream of wearing one out and about in the street though - have the idea that they make folk look ill/frail.
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sweep wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 9:05pm

Tk maxx usually have a fair few in tho confess i know nothing about relative merits of various brands, some mysterious.
I have a slightly wrong size snugpak thing i got cheap for sitting around in camp so appearance not critical. Wouldn't dream of wearing one out and about in the street though - have the idea that they make folk look ill/frail.
Sweep, are we talking about the same thing. I certainly don't think my micro down jackets make me look I'll or frail. Could almost be called trendy - well last year maybe.

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Patag ... g8qavd_bwe
ElaineB

Post by ElaineB »

Feeling very cold and unable to get warm is usually an indicator that you may have a fever coming on.
I could not get warm before I got covid, when I gave in and went to bed I sweated for England. I’d say you already had the virus in your system when you started the ride. LF texts don’t always pick up the virus until a few days in. At least now you have a few more antibodies, look on the bright side!
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

simonhill wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 12:50pm
Sweep wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 9:05pm

Sweep, are we talking about the same thing. I certainly don't think my micro down jackets make me look I'll or frail. Could almost be called trendy - well last year maybe.

I was puzzled by that too. I was hoping that they made me look like an intrepid explorer! :lol:
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonhill wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 12:50pm

Yep same thing Mr Hill.

Nothing personal - just my personal, maybe odd, take on them being worn around town. May be influenced by all the time I spent in Italy when even in southern climes I'd see folks wrapped up to the nines into what seemed like summer.

while we are about it, also tend to think they make folk look old :)

So not personally a fan for street use, fine for camp or the hills/hiking etc.

Not sure they are really fashionable anymore, despite the handsome chap (you?) in the pic.

Keep warm on your night rides folks - learned my lesson on a Dunwich Dynamo a few years ago - had extra layers with me but too lazy/preoccupied to put them on. Coldest time of course often just before sunrise.
Sweep
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

A cold ride won’t give you Covid-19. But being low on energy will make you more susceptible to any infections you get. Riding with 40 others will increase the chance of catching an infection.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

pedalsheep wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 5:03pm I was hoping that they made me look like an intrepid explorer! :lol:
That only works if it's North Face kit ;-)
Ayseven

Post by Ayseven »

Another good reason to avoid riding with other people. However, I strongly believe that you were ripe for illness no matter what, and although very uncomfortable, I doubt it brought anything on, in and of itself. I hope you are feeling better now!