Transport For Wales (TFW)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Black Diamond

Transport For Wales (TFW)

Post by Black Diamond »

Apologies if this is the wrong section.

I have been trying to plan a short cycling tour of Herefordshire and Shropshire that entails taking my bike on the train to my starting point (likely Leominster).

Having contacted TFW, I was amazed to discover that even if you reserve a place for your bike, the conductor can still refuse to take it if he deems the service is too full.

This seems nonsensical to me and means that basically it is impossible to plan a trip as you have no way of knowing you will reach your destination and could be stuck in, say, Manchester or Crewe and having to cancel booked overnight accommodation.

This is particularly astounding at a time when people are being urged to leave their cars at home and use public transport and cycling.

Has anyone had recent experiences of taking a bike on a TFW train?

Thanks
rotavator

Re: Transport For Wales (TFW)

Post by rotavator »

Not very recent but I doubt that much has changed:

I used TfW trains several times last year and it is basically a free-for-all most of the time since bike bookings are not checked so the bike spaces may already be full of unreserved bikes or other luggage but most times there was no problem.

My worst experience last year was when my almost empty train broke down after 10 minutes on the approach to Rhyl. After a long delay it was allowed to crawl into the station. Bike-less passengers were then allowed to board the next train but I was stopped by an unusually officious guard despite other station staff encouraging me to try my luck! I eventually arrived at my destination over 2 hours late but the upside was that I got my whole fare back as compensation.

I travelled on a Heart of Wales (Shrewsbury - Swansea line) train may be 2 years ago. There was space for the bike but not for my knees in the very cramped, uncomfortable seats. I have been on better bus trips.

My best experience was on the "Government Train" which had an old fashioned guards van with loads of space for bikes. This leaves Holyhead at 05:33 and returns from Cardiff Central at 17:16 Mon-Fri but I am not sure if the guards van is still used. You can spot it on timetables by its first class accom.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

I recently travelled from Newport to abergavenny and back. There were no bookings, and the train was moderately busy. There was space for my bike, once I'd moved a few suitcases out of the way...
Tfw trains are amongst the most worrisome to use in my experience. You can't book in many cases, the services are infrequent, often only a couple of carriages and quite busy (especially the ones from south Wales to Manchester).
As a minor hack, I would suggest getting on a stop before the terminus you will be leaving from, thereby being already in position when it changes end to go back! Not especially satisfactory! And only works at the ends of the line.
Also, for Birmingham to mid/west Wales, get on at international, not new street.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Incidentally, there is quite a bit of new rolling stock being introduced by tfw at the moment. I don't yet know whether this will make things better, but it is probably worth keeping an eye on
Black Diamond

Post by Black Diamond »

Thanks very much for replies. I last travelled on the Manchester to Milford Haven route with my bike about 8 years ago, when the trains were run by (I think) Arriva Trains Wales and it was stressful enough then, even with a reservation. It sounds as though things haven't got any better so I think will look at other options for my tour which don't involve using TfW.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Oh no. I hope you haven't been put off by our ramblings :-(.
Despite my reservations (!) I've done a number of short tours using trains in Wales, and they've all been fantastic :
Abergavenny and the black mountains using Paddington-newport and Newport-abergavenny.
Central Wales using Euston-Crewe and crewe-craven arms
Around llangollen using euston-chester and Chester-wrexham.
All in the last 3 years and I haven't been refused entry yet...
Maybe try to travel at quiet times to reduce the trauma?
Good luck anyway. Wales is lovely (but painfully hilly) on a bike.
mei

Post by mei »

(As someone who works these trains, here is some info that MAY be helpful)
The person with a bike reservation takes priority over anybody else, after that it is first come first serve.
There is a 2 bike limit but most Conductors will help you as much as they can and if it's possible they will try to accommodate more bikes but they are under no obligation to do so and their decision is final. (bring a nice smile, you will be surprised what a difference this makes).
If you are unable to make a reservation then it can be a gamble (especially on busy parts of the network).
I fully understand that the bike reservation system could be better but I'm not in charge of that :)
DinoD

Post by DinoD »

Last year I travelled from Swindon to Carmarthen with a change at Swansea. The conductor at Swindon insisted that I removed all my panniers and put the bike in the upright position. Only space for two bikes. When I changed at Swansea there was plenty more space and could leave the panniers on.
I’m planning on going Swindon to Chester in two weeks time. Hope it works out better.
The Grange Gardener

Post by The Grange Gardener »

I use TFW quite a bit and have had a variety of experiences. Last September I took my ebike from Bridgend to Whitland, booked a pace via Red Spotted Hanky - no problem! The return journey however was slightly more problematic.... luggage cases blocking the bike space...solved by moving a lot of suitcases much to the consternation of their owners of the bags! More recently I booked myself & ebike to go from Bridgend to Abergavenny (The Swansea to Manchester train) - enough bike space for 2 bikes - I got mine on and then at the next stop someone else got on and locked their bike to the stand next to mine, blocking me in. Fortunately, I was sitting close by so was able to ask them where they was getting off the train - had that not been the case I would have probably been stuck on the train to Crewe! My return, after having cycled the Taff Trail, from Cogan to Llantwit Major threw up an additional problem - 4 bikes on a train designed to carry 2 bikes! The conductor was very understanding and allowed all 4 of us to travel without question.
So my experiences are not great and TFW app doesn't seem to have the facility to book a bike. The sooner they are able to provide a designated carriage for bikes the better!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The Grange Gardener wrote: 4 May 2022, 7:14pm...had that not been the case I would have probably been stuck on the train to Crewe!
As in the song?

: - )

Jonathan
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

The Grange Gardener wrote: 4 May 2022, 7:14pm 4 bikes on a train designed to carry 2 bikes! The conductor was very understanding and allowed all 4 of us to travel without question.
I am think my record is 6 bikes in 2 spaces, somewhere between Shrewsbury and Cardiff
Richard M
Cardiff
Cymro74

Post by Cymro74 »

Living in Wales I would never trust TFW to get me where I need to be, especially with a bike. TFW is run like a 1970s nationalised industry, with no interest in service or improvement. The only people who value it are a few politicians and unions.

The bike reservation system has always been a joke, and means you can't plan ahead.
I once had to pay for an extra nights stay in Bangor and take another day off work when the train bike racks were full, despite me having a bike reservation. Also missed my stop twice trying to move luggage to get my bike out before doors closed. I've also been stranded on trains for up to 5 hours with no way off - people going to toilet in corner of carriage as there was nowhere to go.

As for the train service itself, you will find whole lines closed down for the day at a moment's notice. I tried commuting on TFW for around 6 months, and about a third of the days all services were cancelled at short notice for the day with no bus replacement. I just had to drive to work, pay for parking, arrive late and accept that I'd wasted money on a rail season ticket.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've had a tandem on 4 different Transport for Wales trains this weekend (Warrington to Chester, Chester to Telford, Shrewsbury to Chester & Chester to Warrington). As usual there was absolutely no problem getting the "not allowed" tandem on any of them, even though some - if not all - had more than the 2 bikes allowed per train. The checking where newcomers are getting off is useful as you can do any bike juggling early.

In fact the guard taking over at Shrewsbury went out of his way to be helpful - it was 2 2-car trains joined together but they had had to take the rear 2 out of service. He approached us as the train pulled into the station &said he would open the bike space especially for the tandem, although we would have to join the rest in the somewhat crowded front half. A load of football fans got on to travel from Wrexham to Chester and by the time we had got off the train he had unloaded it & was waiting to hand it over to us. :D

I've been doing a return trip to Chester most weeks for almost 8 years with a bike (for the 1st 2 & a half it was usually my tandem) & at least one leg, if not both, is with TfW (Northern also run on the route to/from Warrington so it can vary which I catch). Often at peak-ish times there are many more bikes than the nominal allowed number, sometimes 6 or more. I've never had a problem getting a bike (or sometimes the tandem or a solo with a trailer) on other TfW (& their predecessor) trains on other journeys I've done either.

Now & again there can be problems with connections due to delayed trains so, for important journeys where arrival time is important it is best to allow extra time if possible. A dose of lateral thinking can help too when the network, or part of it, gets plunged into serious chaos by an incident on or near the line somewhere.

Mostly it all works fine in my experience.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Cymro74 wrote: 8 May 2022, 8:25pm Living in Wales I would never trust TFW to get me where I need to be, especially with a bike. TFW is run like a 1970s nationalised industry, with no interest in service or improvement. The only people who value it are a few politicians and unions.

The bike reservation system has always been a joke, and means you can't plan ahead.
I once had to pay for an extra nights stay in Bangor and take another day off work when the train bike racks were full, despite me having a bike reservation. Also missed my stop twice trying to move luggage to get my bike out before doors closed. I've also been stranded on trains for up to 5 hours with no way off - people going to toilet in corner of carriage as there was nowhere to go.

As for the train service itself, you will find whole lines closed down for the day at a moment's notice. I tried commuting on TFW for around 6 months, and about a third of the days all services were cancelled at short notice for the day with no bus replacement. I just had to drive to work, pay for parking, arrive late and accept that I'd wasted money on a rail season ticket.
I also live in Wales. This is nothing like my experience of TFW
Richard M
Cardiff
Cymro74

Post by Cymro74 »

A not untypical journey on TfW. Imagine doing that with a bike as I have had to.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... s-24049638