Brain donor search for Jacob Rees-Mogg

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Would you donate your brain

Poll ended at 14 May 2022, 12:33pm

Yes
No votes
No
100%
Not sure
No votes

Total votes: 8

Psamathe

Re: Brain donor search for Jacob Rees-Mogg

Post by Psamathe »

slowster wrote: ↑25 Apr 2022, 2:04pm Rees Mogg is a Minister of State and has a department for which he is responsible with a significant number of civil servants who report to him. Placing such notes on the desks of people who are subordinate to him, and whose day to day working lives and careers he is in a position to influence, indicates that he is unfit to be a minister. ...
According to the Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/apr/23/condescending-jacob-rees-mogg-leaves-notes-for-wfh-civil-servants wrote:The Conservative MP is the minister of state for Brexit opportunities and government efficiency, a new role created for him. The job gives him a seat at the cabinet table and puts him in charge of civil service reform but leaves him without a department to lead.
So, if the report is correct he placing notes on the desks of people who did not report to him.

But also, working from home (outside of pandemics) is something generally something that would be agreed with your line manager. When people who reported to me asked me about working from home I'd generally agree but would never pass it up through management chain.If my boss (or higher) needed to see said person working from home they'd generally check with me "is <x> in today?" and I'd say "working from home, you can call them on 01....." and never an issue.

And as you point out, there are loads of reasons why somebody might not be in the office on any day which have nothing to do with working from home.

We do agree on his unsuitability for any place in Government or Parliament.

Ian
Cyclo2022

Post by Cyclo2022 »

There are a lot of hypocritical replies here from people who vote for parties that do exactly the same as what they falsley accuse Jacob of doing.

Keep it up Jacob you are well liked in working class areas of this country, and you probably are one of the most sincere politicians that sits in the Commons. Just speed up the Brexit process buddyπŸ‘
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyclo2022 wrote: ↑25 Apr 2022, 3:21pm There are a lot of hypocritical replies here from people who vote for parties that do exactly the same as what they falsley accuse Jacob of doing.

Keep it up Jacob you are well liked in working class areas of this country, and you probably are one of the most sincere politicians that sits in the Commons. Just speed up the Brexit process buddyπŸ‘
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: oh pleeze!
Take the Tory blinkers off and not only smell the s**te under your noose but taste it too.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
slowster

Post by slowster »

Psamathe wrote: ↑25 Apr 2022, 3:13pm So, if the report is correct he placing notes on the desks of people who did not report to him.
That indicates an even worse state of affairs, since the minister to whom those civil servants report is evidently letting Rees Mogg get away with such behaviour. So not only do the civil servants get the insulting passive aggressive note from Rees Mogg, they and all their colleagues know that their minister either agrees with such treatment or will not act to stop it.

As I said, people who are so incapable of advancing in the working world that the rest of us inhabit, that they gravitate to politics, where their flaws are a virtue in the eyes of their constituency party and a significant proportion of the electorate.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Slowster,Psamathe
Spot on!
Yet another indication as to how inept,incompetent and out of touch this public schoolboy loonie really is!
Last edited by reohn2 on 25 Apr 2022, 4:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't know if JRM has any back story with Boris Johnson, which might affect his future in government but I get the impression that his influence is already in decline. ie now a minister without a real job. Otherwise known as a sinecure.
==================================================

Re the notes on desks. How many were left? Possibly one or none at all. It's a stunt for social media. The Civil Service of history is in history. Much of the traditional work of the Civil Service is contracted out either to agencies or consultancies.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Tangled Metal wrote: ↑24 Apr 2022, 6:53pm
Stradageek wrote: ↑24 Apr 2022, 2:36pm What do we have to do to get these narcissistic Oxbridge numpties out of government?

Which also begs the question as to how a person representing the views of <1% of the population got into government in the first place?

And we thought Putin's hold on power was impressive :(
Didn't Starmer graduate from the university of Oxford after Leeds uni?

Didn't Ed Milliband study at Oxford?

Didn't Rachel Reeves study at Oxford University?

OK now I'm running out of shadow cabinet names I actually know from significant briefs but Lammy went to a regarded London university college then ivy league in America so guess he's Oxbridge equivalent.

Just saying...
Sadly I had to spend three years in the company of these narcissistic numpties, so I speak from personal experience, but I wouldn't consider myself to be one of them - I seriously hope :wink:
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

slowster wrote: ↑25 Apr 2022, 4:08pm As I said, people who are so incapable of advancing in the working world that the rest of us inhabit, that they gravitate to politics, where their flaws are a virtue in the eyes of their constituency party and a significant proportion of the electorate.
Calls to mind my favourite C S Lewis-ism from the end of 'The Silver Chair', one of the Narnian Chronicles:

'And in the inquiry all sorts of things about Experiment House came out, and ten people got expelled. After that, the Head’s friends saw that the Head was no use as a Head, so they got her made an inspector to interfere with other Heads. And when they found, she wasn’t much good even at that, they got her into Parliament where she lived happily ever after.'

So not much progress in the last 70yrs :(
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Cyclo2022 wrote: ↑24 Apr 2022, 5:25pm I like the Moggster a true supporter of brexit and has more brain matter than the whole of the Loony Left Labour front bench. Jacob knows his stuff and to say that he is short of brain matter is totally ridiculous. πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Cyclo2022 wrote: ↑24 Apr 2022, 7:59pm So because he was born into money he shouldn't stand as an MP!...That is ridiculous!
Mogg is well liked and popular in many working class areas especially in the North and its the so called working class politicians from the Liebour Party that working class voters abhor!
Cyclo2022 wrote: ↑24 Apr 2022, 8:58pm No I am talking about the ex red wall areas of the North of England. If you are a working class voter who voted to stay in the EU you will loathe him but if you are a working class voter who voted to leave the EU you will like him regardless of his up bringing or how much wealth he has. I think a lot of people here don't understand just how popular he is in working class Brexit voting areas in the North of England.....I would vote for him if he stood in my town for defo and I ain't even a Tory and I don't base my vote on class either like the Labour Numptys do!
Cyclo2022 wrote: ↑24 Apr 2022, 9:46pm How many politicians whether they are on the Left or Right can you honestly say that they are 100% trustworthy. Not many methinks !
I mean look at Corbyn, hugely popular when he took the helm but he turned out to be the most dishonest and untrustworthy leader Labour have ever had.
Back in the 90s The Verve sang 'The drugs don't work' alas in this case they obviously do.
I'd lay off what ever it is you're smoking mate :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Anyone who wants to get their heads around exactly why Brexit was and remains an absolute disaster for the UK - and Britain's farmers and fishers in partic., should give this article a quick decco. JR-M was and remains an absolute hypocrite on this subject too, and continues to take us all for fools... really unpleasant.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Cyclo2022

Post by Cyclo2022 »

PedallingSquares wrote: ↑29 Apr 2022, 8:25pm
Cyclo2022 wrote: ↑24 Apr 2022, 5:25pm I like the Moggster a true supporter of brexit and has more brain matter than the whole of the Loony Left Labour front bench. Jacob knows his stuff and to say that he is short of brain matter is totally ridiculous. πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Cyclo2022 wrote: ↑24 Apr 2022, 7:59pm So because he was born into money he shouldn't stand as an MP!...That is ridiculous!
Mogg is well liked and popular in many working class areas especially in the North and its the so called working class politicians from the Liebour Party that working class voters abhor!
Cyclo2022 wrote: ↑24 Apr 2022, 8:58pm No I am talking about the ex red wall areas of the North of England. If you are a working class voter who voted to stay in the EU you will loathe him but if you are a working class voter who voted to leave the EU you will like him regardless of his up bringing or how much wealth he has. I think a lot of people here don't understand just how popular he is in working class Brexit voting areas in the North of England.....I would vote for him if he stood in my town for defo and I ain't even a Tory and I don't base my vote on class either like the Labour Numptys do!
Cyclo2022 wrote: ↑24 Apr 2022, 9:46pm How many politicians whether they are on the Left or Right can you honestly say that they are 100% trustworthy. Not many methinks !
I mean look at Corbyn, hugely popular when he took the helm but he turned out to be the most dishonest and untrustworthy leader Labour have ever had.
Back in the 90s The Verve sang 'The drugs don't work' alas in this case they obviously do.
Standard trolling post!.....So I am a druggie now just because I have a legitimate difference of opinion......Schoolboy stuff methinksπŸ€”
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote: ↑29 Apr 2022, 10:17pm Anyone who wants to get their heads around exactly why Brexit was and remains an absolute disaster for the UK - and Britain's farmers and fishers in partic., should give this article a quick decco. JR-M was and remains an absolute hypocrite on this subject too, and continues to take us all for fools... really unpleasant.
Spot on!
This government continually shoots itself in the foot,either foot it doesn't seem to mind which one though prefers the right one.
A worse example of government is hard to find,this one takes the biscuit so often it's a wonder there's any biscuits left in the tin,"self harm" is what this bunch is causing this nation on a grand scale,so much so as to beggar belief!
It's utterly depressing.
W H Auden
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Cyclo2022 wrote: ↑29 Apr 2022, 10:59pm
PedallingSquares wrote: ↑29 Apr 2022, 8:25pm
Standard trolling post!.....So I am a druggie now just because I have a legitimate difference of opinion......Schoolboy stuff methinksπŸ€”
Oh dear a case of the pot calling the kettle.
As stated in the other thread I won't be throwing any more food under your bridge.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

simonineaston wrote: ↑24 Apr 2022, 3:33pm There is a well-documented drift to populist leaders, especially post-internet / social media. Complex underlying reasons, but take-away is that we as indivuduals can do nothing to stem the flow...
Largely restricted to countries not using proportional, and therefore open, voting methods.

My own theory is that this is also linked with the 'democratisation' of leader selection within each party.

Party members are more politically active, politically interested, more active on social media and tend to hold more extreme/radical views than the 'typical' person. Thus party leaders reflect that (which can be both genuine or simply necessary to obtain power). Once you're into duopoly territory it's far more about securing the votes of key sections of society in seats than general appeal.

Anyway as far as this daft little stunt from mogg goes I suspect it's largely just dead cat material and red meat for the mail/telegraph audience, he's not the sharpest tool in the box but he's not stupid and knew exactly what he was doing here. The conservative party has of course been leading the country on wfh well before the pandemic with the cuts to civil service office space from 2010 onwards.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop