148mph

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: 148mph

Post by Bonefishblues »

simonineaston wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 10:30am Volvo have a long history of innovation / adopting safety features. They have already put in place their intended adoption of the 112mph limit on all their passenger vehicles. Volvo have simply adopted the feature without fanfare. Naturally, tuners are already offering ways around it... which I guess might be illegal.
Many of the features Volvo adopted early are now standard across the industry.
I doubt it would be illegal.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Puts me in mind of the days when 50cc mopeds were restricted. Many dealers as well as individuals, knew how to derestrict them and they appeared on the second-hand market as such, which added a modest premium to the price, but was in a grey area legally speaking - as we all know, vehicle insurance policies usually include a question about modifications and that vehicles that are modified and go on to be part of a claim may well be treated as falling without the terms of the contract - not illegal as such but effectively uninsured... So, a double whammy, as they used to say - a driver dodgy enough to derestrict his car, hurtling about in a super-fast semi-legal car, without any effective insurance. - Great !
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

pete75 wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 9:40pm
Pebble wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 9:15pm
pete75 wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 8:36pm

Of course it is. My wife gets a new Mercedes E class every 3 years from her firm and the last three we've had actually read speed limit signs. You can set the car to never exceed the signed limit, wouldn't need much of a software change to make it mandatory. It even recognises the no limit signs on Autobahns but won't let you go over 155mph,despite it being legal to do so. Didn't like 155 - too fast for my faculties to cope with so slowed down quite quickly. That sort of speed is a young man's game.

Information from the vehicles satnav system can be used to restrict speed in a similar way but, unlike a sign reading system, wouldn't recognise temporary restrictions or variable speed limits. In other words, what you describe has been possible in one form or another for more than ten years. All it needs it's a vehicle with an engine management system, ie anything with electronic fuel injection, that's virtually all vehicles made in the last 20 years and satnav, virtually all cars made in the last 10 years.

Law enforcement should never be a revenue raising exercise.
We have that system on the all new all singing and dancing GLA - it is utter garbage (just like most of the other tech on the car) It is often totally clueless as to what the speed limit is, thinks any wideish single carriageway is 70mph. Mercedes seem totally uninterested!

Combined with sat nav data it should work better, and if it can work reasonably well then it should automatically limt cars to the speed limit - no nonsense overides like pressing the accelerator harder.

Don't see anything wrong in raising revenue from speeders - optional taxation sounds good to me.
There's something wrong with it then. Ours is totally accurate. The only place it's been confused is on the A9 in Scotland , with these signs stating the limit for 7.5 ton vehicles. It was reading them as 50 for cars too. https://www.google.com/maps/@57.1903472 ... 384!8i8192

The criminal justice system is just that, justice. It's not, nor should it be, about making a profit. You may think optional taxation is a good idea, but it's not, many UK taxes are actually optional if you're wealthy enough and that ain't right.
first of all I wonder if we have the same system, I know the following doesn't confirm that much but does it appear on your dash like

Ours is useless, regularly shows 70mph on modern single carriageway roads, gets super confused with 20mph signs, come out of a 20 to NSL and it just changes to 30. We do even get occasional 90 mph (one of which was in a super market car park).
I don't know if they are all faulty or it is just ours. Mercedes are useless and totally uninterested - they gave the car a software update that took a day and fixed nothing.

I think the electronics on the whole car is a piece of junk, it regularly thinks its going to crash and once did an emergency stop for no real reason (we have a dash cam and I can go back and analys these incidents) Again mercedes totally uninterested. They used to make good cars, we have some wonderful ones in the past but the latest generation are just awful, this GLA is the worst car we have ever owned.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I have a seperate Garmin satnav for the car which I bought a couple of years ago when MrsR2's health deteriated and she found maps increasingly confusing.
It records and warns of speed limits acurately IME.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 10:08am I have a seperate Garmin satnav for the car which I bought a couple of years ago when MrsR2's health deteriated and she found maps increasingly confusing.
I update my Garmin regularly and it still has the wrong limits for some local roads. Annoyingly. On at least one road it has insisted for three or four years that the limit is NSL when it is actually 30. If self-driving cars ever rely on Garmin they had better sharpen this up.

Our Toyota Auris beeps at me occasionally and it took me a while to work out why. It is a warning of the nearby presence of fixed speed cameras. It isn't a feature I need or want, but at least I now know what it is.

(I also share concerns about lack of quality with Mercedes, at least with their commercial vehicles. I sometimes drive Merc commercials at work and the electronic stuff is very prone to failure or malfunction. One vehicle did an emergency stop when a small plastic bag was blown across the road in front of me. I nearly needed a change of underwear! Thank God I wasn't on an icy road. And the switches for the windows fail, get replaced, then fail again. Absolute garbage.)
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Pebble wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 10:04am
We have that system on the all new all singing and dancing GLA - it is utter garbage (just like most of the other tech on the car) It is often totally clueless as to what the speed limit is, thinks any wideish single carriageway is 70mph. Mercedes seem totally uninterested!

Combined with sat nav data it should work better, and if it can work reasonably well then it should automatically limt cars to the speed limit - no nonsense overides like pressing the accelerator harder.

Don't see anything wrong in raising revenue from speeders - optional taxation sounds good to me.
There's something wrong with it then. Ours is totally accurate. The only place it's been confused is on the A9 in Scotland , with these signs stating the limit for 7.5 ton vehicles. It was reading them as 50 for cars too. https://www.google.com/maps/@57.1903472 ... 384!8i8192

The criminal justice system is just that, justice. It's not, nor should it be, about making a profit. You may think optional taxation is a good idea, but it's not, many UK taxes are actually optional if you're wealthy enough and that ain't right.
first of all I wonder if we have the same system, I know the following doesn't confirm that much but does it appear on your dash like

Ours is useless, regularly shows 70mph on modern single carriageway roads, gets super confused with 20mph signs, come out of a 20 to NSL and it just changes to 30. We do even get occasional 90 mph (one of which was in a super market car park).
I don't know if they are all faulty or it is just ours. Mercedes are useless and totally uninterested - they gave the car a software update that took a day and fixed nothing.

I think the electronics on the whole car is a piece of junk, it regularly thinks its going to crash and once did an emergency stop for no real reason (we have a dash cam and I can go back and analys these incidents) Again mercedes totally uninterested. They used to make good cars, we have some wonderful ones in the past but the latest generation are just awful, this GLA is the worst car we have ever owned.
Same as mine,Vauxhall and it works perfectly.It even picks up speeds on the Matrix boards on Motorways and road works limits etc!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

pwa wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 3:09pm
reohn2 wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 10:08am I have a seperate Garmin satnav for the car which I bought a couple of years ago when MrsR2's health deteriated and she found maps increasingly confusing.
I update my Garmin regularly and it still has the wrong limits for some local roads. Annoyingly. On at least one road it has insisted for three or four years that the limit is NSL when it is actually 30. If self-driving cars ever rely on Garmin they had better sharpen this up.

Our Toyota Auris beeps at me occasionally and it took me a while to work out why. It is a warning of the nearby presence of fixed speed cameras. It isn't a feature I need or want, but at least I now know what it is.

(I also share concerns about lack of quality with Mercedes, at least with their commercial vehicles. I sometimes drive Merc commercials at work and the electronic stuff is very prone to failure or malfunction. One vehicle did an emergency stop when a small plastic bag was blown across the road in front of me. I nearly needed a change of underwear! Thank God I wasn't on an icy road. And the switches for the windows fail, get replaced, then fail again. Absolute garbage.)
Is it beeping because you're over the speed limit approaching a fixed speed camera or does it simply beep approaching the camera even if you're below the limit? Former you do need it because it beeped, latter you may or may not need it depending on whether you speed or not, if you follow me. I suspect you're right and mostly don't speed so knowing about cameras isn't necessary.

Then again anyone who does speed should not be helped to avoid a justified fine with such a beep. It's tantamount to helping people avoid enforcement for their motoring offences. Knowledge of where speed cameras are is irrelevant to someone obeying the speed limits.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Tangled Metal wrote: 1 May 2022, 1:22pm

Is it beeping because you're over the speed limit approaching a fixed speed camera or does it simply beep approaching the camera even if you're below the limit? Former you do need it because it beeped, latter you may or may not need it depending on whether you speed or not, if you follow me. I suspect you're right and mostly don't speed so knowing about cameras isn't necessary.

Then again anyone who does speed should not be helped to avoid a justified fine with such a beep. It's tantamount to helping people avoid enforcement for their motoring offences. Knowledge of where speed cameras are is irrelevant to someone obeying the speed limits.
Aren't speed cameras positioned in areas/locations of greatest risk, as evidenced by accident stats? I've never seen a 'caution, accidents' display on a satnav, so alerting motorists of camera locations seems a sensible thing to do if our motivation is hazard reduction.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Driving around in a hire car in Canada a few years ago Osmand + on my phone kept chiding me if I was exceeding the speed limit. I cant remember if it knew about cameras?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Pebble wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 10:04am

No it looks nothing like that. The dash display shows a speedo and rev counter. There's a big display in the centre which shows sat nav and all sorts of other stuff if you want it to, it's even got an internet search engine. You can also alter stuff like suspension settings, how the regenerative braking works, use electric power in towns and diesel on the open road etc. Works a bit like Alexa too - all you need to do is say hey mercedes and tell it what to do.

Never had a problem with ours. We've had four new E class in a row and the only thing they ever go to the cunning dealers for is servicing. I say cunning because they always leave you with a better car than your own when the guy fetches it for servicing.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I update my Garmin regularly and it still has the wrong limits for some local roads. Annoyingly......
I can only speak as I find.
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote: 1 May 2022, 10:39pm
I update my Garmin regularly and it still has the wrong limits for some local roads. Annoyingly......
I expect we are both right, for the roads we are familiar with. The satnav companies must rely on information supplied by highways authorities, and perhaps some are better than others at forwarding updates on speed limits, changes to road layouts and so forth.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Tangled Metal wrote: 1 May 2022, 1:22pm

It beeps regardless of the speed I'm doing. But another feature on the dash, alongside a large font digital speed display, is a UK style road speed sign showing what it thinks is the current speed limit. It is usually right but can be wrong. It glares red if it thinks you are over the limit. That would be a more useful feature if it were right all the time. And even in this less reliable form it makes me think about how my speed compares with the real current limit. A few months ago it somehow updated as a local 30 became a 20. I wondered if that happened when we took it to a dealer for servicing. I must ask them next time we go there.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote: 2 May 2022, 5:13am
reohn2 wrote: 1 May 2022, 10:39pm
I expect we are both right, for the roads we are familiar with. The satnav companies must rely on information supplied by highways authorities, and perhaps some are better than others at forwarding updates on speed limits, changes to road layouts and so forth.
I only use mine on long journeys where I'm not familiar with the route,and have been pleasently surprised at how accurate it is tellsing me the speed limits,it was the first thing that impresssed me about it.
Putting in a route by voice command can be a bit of a laugh at times though :?
W H Auden
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Tangled Metal wrote: 1 May 2022, 1:22pm Is it beeping because you're over the speed limit approaching a fixed speed camera or does it simply beep approaching the camera even if you're below the limit? Former you do need it because it beeped, latter you may or may not need it depending on whether you speed or not, if you follow me. I suspect you're right and mostly don't speed so knowing about cameras isn't necessary.

This can be turned off whether in-built to the cars system or on a standalone Satnav.
In France for eg it's illegal to have a warning for speed cameras active.We were routinely checked at Mont Blanc tunnel a couple of years ago and they specifically ask to check our Satnav.He looked a bit confused when I told him we didn't have/use one!
https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdow ... tor-france
Our new car has it all built in of course.
I believe,and could be wrong.that our speed limit indicator works on a combination of data and the front camera.The limit changes exactly when we pass a sign whether it be static or temporary.It has never been wrong in the 18 months I've owned the car.