Northumberland, Powburn.

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
MIB2020

Northumberland, Powburn.

Post by MIB2020 »

Hi, I will be based near Powburn, Northumberland in May but don’t know the area, can anyone recommend some interesting routes without having to drive too far ?
Hardtail MTB , no hardcore fast trails with big jumps i am nearly 60! But happy with most routes, regularly ride 50+miles but lots of climbing or rough ground will no doubt reduce mileage. I have a Garmin. There are plenty of routes available on various platforms but would prefer recommendations.

Cheers Mark
freeflow

Re: Northumberland, Powburn.

Post by freeflow »

I did a stint commuting from Powburn to Alnwick (when I was 60). The general area is rather lumpy. I'm afraid I can't recommend any routes.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

when I read nearly 60 I thought that's quite old, then I remembered I'm 60 in a few months time !

I only do roads, but that part of Northumberland is a fantastic cycling area, I go down there regularly, apart from the A697 all the roads in that area are quiet.
Head south through Callaly Rothbury Thropton come back Alwinton, Alnham. (I sort of done this a few weeks back)

or, Head north to Wooler via Branton and Ingram, then back by Chatton Eglingham (I'm heading down through Chatton the morrow)

Or a bit more adventurous with some off road (I have to carry/push) Head up to Ewartly Shank, then make your way across the hill to Bleakhope, then take the tarmaced road out via Ingram - Ingram Valley is just a joy to cycle through. Here are some pics from a while back.

heading up to Ewartly Shank

The off road bit (its england so fark knowes what the trespass crap is)

Heading back east from Bleakhope (probably along the north side of shill moor)
Dropping down into Ingram Valley.

it is probably worth taking a detour down to Linhope and may be a walk into Linhope Spout
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

Yep Ingram valley and there's a small museum/cafe at the end detailing all about stone age builds around the area
College valley is picturesque place ...park up at hethpool as the rd into the valley does not allow traffic other than the few locals..its a great easy traffic free rd ride and interesting war memorial of the airplane crash sites in nearby hills follow the tracks after tbe rd if you bear left by tbe memorial
As the rd stops at the bunk house moonthooly
The wild cattle at the haunted gillingham castle east of wooler
The otterburn ranges are almost traffic free rd cycling for miles
Park at hepple and ride all along to alwinton barrowburn and to the border ridge or to the Roman fort at chew green then to the dere street lost roman road
Theres a nearby WW1 trench complex used for training
Lots of droving paths from whiskey smugglers
Few abandoned shepherds houses in area
Holy island crossing is a great ride but check out tides
Theres cuthbert cave in wooler area
Lots of videos on you tube off Northumberland cyclist pennine cyclists etc
I know you say you do not want to drive but honestly the rds are almost empty . Car parking no big issue ..and with a little research on nearby attraction you can make up some great rides
Systran type rides in the area are pennine way ..coast n castles..sandstone way
Great county for bikes
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

I also recall a great rd ride on your doorstep to seahouses or beadnell on coast
POWBURN east to hedgely hall...beanley...short track north to scar brea...nursery hill..new berwick from here is a fantastic rd across the deserted hills to A1( subway) via ravenhole ....Hepburn...botany...haughterslaw...north Charlton ( A1subway) Preston...chat hill station...then signs to beadnell then seahouses ...for a boat trip to the farne islands or short ride up coast to bambugh castle
Powburn to seahouse is around 20 miles ...theres a climb at the start but not drastic ( says me )
The place mames are not all villages so you may not see them on a map
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Lookrider wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 10:04am I also recall a great rd ride on your doorstep to seahouses or beadnell on coast
POWBURN east to hedgely hall...beanley...short track north to scar brea...nursery hill..new berwick from here is a fantastic rd across the deserted hills to A1( subway) via ravenhole ....Hepburn...botany...haughterslaw...north Charlton ( A1subway) Preston...chat hill station...then signs to beadnell then seahouses ...for a boat trip to the farne islands or short ride up coast to bambugh castle
Powburn to seahouse is around 20 miles ...theres a climb at the start but not drastic ( says me )
The place mames are not all villages so you may not see them on a map
its a giant wind farm now. If i'm feeling fit I might take that road into todays ride, I will take the camera.
MIB2020

Post by MIB2020 »

Thank you all for the information, I really appreciate it, I will get my OS maps out and plan a few rides. Also now I have some info on the best areas, I can look on Komoot, Garmin , digital OS maps and see what’s been put online.
I have a 3 day 130+ mile charity canal towpath ride this weekend to keep me busy!
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

https://www.woolerwheel.co.uk/classic-cycle-sportive/

https://www.letsdothis.com/gb/e/mod-roc ... tif-188408

The wooler wheel 100k
Tbe MODrocker

Thete both organised sportives so rob the route map off the website
MIB2020

Post by MIB2020 »

Update , all , yes that’s all, the forests in this area are closed to both cyclists and walkers probably until summer 23 due to storm damage. A large percentage of other cycle trails cross intensively farmed land full of livestock so very difficult to cycle with a dog. But the beaches in Northumberland are great 👍
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Pebble wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 11:47pm when I read nearly 60 I thought that's quite old, then I remembered I'm 60 in a few months time !

I only do roads, but that part of Northumberland is a fantastic cycling area, I go down there regularly, apart from the A697 all the roads in that area are quiet.
Head south through Callaly Rothbury Thropton come back Alwinton, Alnham. (I sort of done this a few weeks back)

or, Head north to Wooler via Branton and Ingram, then back by Chatton Eglingham (I'm heading down through Chatton the morrow)

Or a bit more adventurous with some off road (I have to carry/push) Head up to Ewartly Shank, then make your way across the hill to Bleakhope, then take the tarmaced road out via Ingram - Ingram Valley is just a joy to cycle through. Here are some pics from a while back.

heading up to Ewartly Shank

The off road bit (its england so fark knowes what the trespass crap is)

Heading back east from Bleakhope (probably along the north side of shill moor)
Dropping down into Ingram Valley.

it is probably worth taking a detour down to Linhope and may be a walk into Linhope Spout
Just had a random, post dinner google! Nice photo's. The track looks like it's got a decent surface, given the current weather should be straightforward enough on my current road wheels/tyre's Had a quick look on an online map - is that stretch between Ewartly Shank / Linhope effectively a walk/push the bike? Know the Cheviots, am a hill walker so a not an issue.

Know the area, based in Alnwick, other than a one way spin up Ingram valley or whatever in passing, have never bothered to look into the hills.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

gbnz wrote: 21 May 2023, 7:43pm Just had a random, post dinner google! Nice photo's. The track looks like it's got a decent surface, given the current weather should be straightforward enough on my current road wheels/tyre's Had a quick look on an online map - is that stretch between Ewartly Shank / Linhope effectively a walk/push the bike? Know the Cheviots, am a hill walker so a not an issue.

Know the area, based in Alnwick, other than a one way spin up Ingram valley or whatever in passing, have never bothered to look into the hills.
Yes, it is a push over the hill, I guess it could be done on a mountain bike. But its a nice little walk (2 mile ish) following an indistinct track, its sometimes nice to get off and walk a while.
I come out at Low Bleakhope.

Incidentally I was down through your town a few weeks back, I'm sure you will recognise the road - may be even the car. LOL
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Pebble wrote: 21 May 2023, 8:38pm
Yes, it is a push over the hill, I guess it could be done on a mountain bike. But its a nice little walk (2 mile ish) following an indistinct track, its sometimes nice to get off and walk a while.

[/quote]

Thanks, had a quick spin around it mid-day. Hadn't realized most of it's tarmac, so straightforward enough (Nb. Road surface in hugely better condition, than other roads in the area). Gravel section ok to ride at slow speed, except sections on the descent, with 6-8" lumps of rock forming the "gravel" (Nb. Even on 700mm road wheels, with an absolutely worn out 32mm tyre)

Kept on remembering bit's of it - must have backpacked bit's of it '09 - '11, on route to the Lakes / Pennines! Much easier & quicker to cycle
Campag

Post by Campag »

Lovely pictures - it is a fantastic area for cycling.