Acera verse Derailleur, RD-M772, 9 Speed

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Wenagade

Acera verse Derailleur, RD-M772, 9 Speed

Post by Wenagade »

Hello

Got an Acera on a 8 speed can get a very good condition XT as per title.

Is the XT going to improve my off road gearing shifts over the Acera ?

Never used XT or any other high end derailer, yet retaining my rapid shifter & i know its all compatible.

In fact this Acera is the best derailer I've used to date, not that I've had many bikes.

Acera done 500 miles the XT unknown but the little cog wheels have plenty life similar to the acera & the XT condition is very good.

Thanks MTB ers !
oaklec

Re: Acera verse Derailleur, RD-M772, 9 Speed

Post by oaklec »

Having used earlier versions of XT, I would say you will notice a difference both in performance and weight.

The only thing to look out for is that the XT mech operation is "top normal", that is without any tension in the cable the mech will drop to the smallest cog.
Last edited by oaklec on 28 Apr 2022, 10:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Wenagade wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 12:16pmIs the XT going to improve my off road gearing shifts over the Acera ?
The shifter/mech's contribution is (as mentioned above) determining whether pulling the cable upshifts or downshifts and determining how many gears you can shift per thumb-press. Other than that, the main determinant of how 'slick' your shifts are is the chain/cogs combination. Modern, expensive systems have specially shaped chains and teeth to facilitate slick shifts. Whether this justifies the expense is up for debate. Personally, so long as the system is well maintained, it will be good enough for me. The ability to do quick downshifts is quite important on undulating cross country where you want to be able to quickly go between high and low gears. Changing your mech alone isn't going to affect this, so overall I doubt you'll notice a massive change from swapping to an XT. However, if it's cheap to buy, you might prefer to have a flashier-looking XT mech on your bike.
Wenagade

Post by Wenagade »

My derailer may be twisted a little ( crashes ) & the looks & weight ain't bad & its about £30 for the XT & im getting bike fixed involving the hanger anyway so
it's all good.

I've had an XT forgot i had a descent MTB for around a year, paid 600 £ est around 1997/8 second hand rockshox & XT but not rear suspension, got robbed though, literally the hike not the price it was about £1300 new.

Can't remember the name of bike or the ability of the derailer.

Bikes going to get descent brakes Maguri MT5 in future so might aswell & then it will be a half descent ' emtb ' as getting a new spider type crank to correct the chainline.

So just wether it works with rapid fire shifter single shifts is all i need to know now priory purchase as regards my rapid shifter does single shifts will the XT do the same shifts as i can't remember how the old XT works or if they have always single shifted on the rear unlike the front 2 cog chainset of old.

Thanks
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

It might be worth posting this same question over on Retrobike, it's where a lot of real mountain bike geeks reside.

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/forums/bike-chat-1998.41/

You'll probably get real experience feedback of the XT mech.

Acera is fairly low end kit and XT is Ultegra level, there really is a difference in performance across the groupsets.
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
Wenagade

Post by Wenagade »

Thanks

I'll research further before deciding.

S