Are saddles too high on modern bikes?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fastpedaller

Are saddles too high on modern bikes?

Post by fastpedaller »

In a similar vein to the subject about bar height - When you are a pedestrian, do you see riders going past and you think "crikey that saddles far too high?"
Sorry, I don't know how to do the survey thing :( :oops:
Nearholmer

Re: Are saddles too high on modern bikes?

Post by Nearholmer »

Only if you’ve set the handlebars too low.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Or your legs are too short.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Or the rain is too wet :lol:
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I more often think, "that saddle's too low - they'll wreck their knees "
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Yes, I sometimes have to stop myself coming over all ‘helpful’ and flagging people down to tell them they’ve got their saddle too low. You see people struggling along, and it’s obvious that they’d be a lot faster/less tired/happier with the seat a few inches higher.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

^^^ me too,I'm always concerned about their knees,I saw a lady last week who looked comical the saddle was so low.
Another one is having the saddle set to far forward.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It's a well-known fact that modern people are a lot bigger than they were. So, if anything, the saddles on modern bikes are set too low. Manufacturers have not kept up with developing trends and stick to their old ways, without taking the taller person into account. I imagine that they have the same old staff at the factory who just keep doing things just like they always used too. This will not change until there is some sort of revolution...
On the plus side, I have seen the bikes of some young people and I would say that it looks many of them have taken ownership of the issue and, throwing caution to the winds, have adjusted the saddle to suit themselves. I take this as a Good SIgn.
Or I may have just been dreaming...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Even my wife regularly comments that some ones saddle is too low. As an infrequent cyclist, but a great watcher of it on the telly, she can spot one . Despite this , hers is too low. :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

rogerzilla wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 8:14pm I more often think, "that saddle's too low - they'll wreck their knees "
yeah, me, too
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
531colin

Post by 531colin »

fastpedaller wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 3:54pm In a similar vein to the subject about bar height - When you are a pedestrian, do you see riders going past and you think "crikey that saddles far too high?"
The current fashion is to set the saddle so that you have to be on tiptoe to reach the pedal at the bottom.
Not everybody is convinced its a good idea.
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... n-it-be-2/
gcogger

Post by gcogger »

In my YouTube wanderings, I've seen quite a few experienced bike fitters talking about this. They all say that most people who arrive for a bike fit have the saddle too high.
Of course, that's only evidence that people who get a bike fit done tend to have the saddle too high, and it may be the other way round with normal ( :) ) people.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

may be bottoms are just getting higher - they're certainly getting bigger.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

531colin wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 8:34am
fastpedaller wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 3:54pm In a similar vein to the subject about bar height - When you are a pedestrian, do you see riders going past and you think "crikey that saddles far too high?"
The current fashion is to set the saddle so that you have to be on tiptoe to reach the pedal at the bottom.
Not everybody is convinced its a good idea.
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... n-it-be-2/
I've always gone by the leg straight at 6 o'clock with my heel on the pedal.This gets me pretty close then it's minor adjustments until it feels right.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

gcogger wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 8:50am In my YouTube wanderings, I've seen quite a few experienced bike fitters talking about this. They all say that most people who arrive for a bike fit have the saddle too high.
Of course, that's only evidence that people who get a bike fit done tend to have the saddle too high, and it may be the other way round with normal ( :) ) people.
That's odd, because generally higher saddle = more power until you get to the point where your hips start rocking and you're overextending your knees - but that's fairly obvious to the rider.

It's important to tweak saddle height for crank length. I use 30.25" for 170mm cranks, but 30.5" for 165mm cranks and 30" for 175mm. Excuse mixed units.