What 1st Aid Do You Take On Tour

Jdsk

Re: What 1st Aid Do You Take On Tour

Post by Jdsk »

NHS Advice: "What should I keep in my first aid kit?"
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questi ... t-aid-kit/

General, not specifically for travel.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 1 May 2022, 10:02am, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

by knotting twists of hair
what hair's that, then? ;-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 1 May 2022, 9:34am
by knotting twists of hair
what hair's that, then?
"May not be available in your area."

: - )

Jonathan
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I always take antihistamines since being stung on the throat during a Saturday audax.
By Sunday morning I had a swelling which seemed to grow during the day - eventually I was prevailed upon to visit A&E and was kept in all night - the A&E doctor had to argue strongly to get me the last emergency bed.
I had no other symptoms and felt rather guilty as they were sending people home who seemed in worse shape than myself.

The thing about a first aid kit is that it is a nuisance until you need it.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Thanks for the reminder re anti-histamines - I will add them to my kit :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Never bothered.Boots are all over.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Things that might not have been mentioned, some of these are in the NHS list:

Tick remover
Hydrocortisone cream
Scissors/ non-cycling multitool
Prescription medications with official-looking letter if you're going anywhere relevant
Note of medical conditions and contact details if relevant
Appropriate antibiotic for those with a propensity for urinary tract infections while on holiday

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 4 May 2022, 1:14pm Things that might not have been mentioned, some of these are in the NHS list:

Tick remover
Hydrocortisone cream
Scissors/ non-cycling multitool
Prescription medications with official-looking letter if you're going anywhere relevant
Note of medical conditions and contact details if relevant
Appropriate antibiotic for those with a propensity for urinary tract infections while on holiday

Jonathan
I do carry tick removers (2 of different size, O'Tom? hooks? the green ones that are easy and effective)

Hydrocortisone I'm uncertain about as that was one of my harmacy visits and it worked but more recently at home it didn't help with something different where Anthisan did - so which to carry?

Also, just remembered I do also carry some Loperamida (not needed on cycle tours yet).
And I do take Mentisan ..... (brilliant stuff but keep in a sealed bag if in warm weather)

I do take bug repellant but in Europe don't regard it as 1st Aid/medical though I understand the tiger mosquito (vector for dengue, chikungunya and Zika) is now present in 51 French departments (though I'm unsure if local transmission is occurring).

And I suppose worth mentioning for some destinations are things like malaria pills. Getting genuine pharmaceuticals in some countries can be a real challenge (and can be very expensive from reputable vendors).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 4 May 2022, 1:33pmHydrocortisone I'm uncertain about as that was one of my harmacy visits and it worked but more recently at home it didn't help with something different where Anthisan did - so which to carry?
Both. Steroids will quiet many skin conditions that aren't driven by histamine.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote: 4 May 2022, 1:14pm

Jonathan
Thankfully I’m in blissful ignorance of 95% of the things being discussed. Are you saying a GP would prescribe an antibiotic for a just in case you need it?
My own experience I had to have poisoning racing through my arm before I’d get any.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote: 4 May 2022, 3:04pm
Jdsk wrote: 4 May 2022, 1:14pm Appropriate antibiotic for those with a propensity for urinary tract infections while on holiday
Thankfully I’m in blissful ignorance of 95% of the things being discussed. Are you saying a GP would prescribe an antibiotic for a just in case you need it?
They might do.

Of course this affects many more women than men, but ask around and you'll hear about a fair number of holidays and trips being ruined by UTIs.

Jonathan
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Jdsk wrote: 4 May 2022, 3:08pm
Paulatic wrote: 4 May 2022, 3:04pm
Jdsk wrote: 4 May 2022, 1:14pm Appropriate antibiotic for those with a propensity for urinary tract infections while on holiday
They might do.

Of course this affects many more women than men, but ask around and you'll hear about a fair number of holidays and trips being ruined by UTIs.

Jonathan
I'm unfortunate enough to have had this a couple of times when at a low ebb for unrelated reasons. Both times it took a couple of different a/bs to tidy it up. Out of curiosity, does a long cycling trip make them more likely (for men or women)?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 4 May 2022, 1:14pm

Jonathan
Is there an "appropriate" anti-biotic? My Mum has suffered UTIs (had operations cancelled because of them) and it has always taken several different antibiotics. Try one, doesn't clear it so try a different one which doesn't clear it so try another ...

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pendodave wrote: 4 May 2022, 4:51pm
Jdsk wrote: 4 May 2022, 3:08pm
Paulatic wrote: 4 May 2022, 3:04pm Thankfully I’m in blissful ignorance of 95% of the things being discussed. Are you saying a GP would prescribe an antibiotic for a just in case you need it?
They might do.

I'm unfortunate enough to have had this a couple of times when at a low ebb for unrelated reasons. Both times it took a couple of different a/bs to tidy it up. Out of curiosity, does a long cycling trip make them more likely (for men or women)?
Yes: tight clothes, perineal friction, dehydration, access to washing facilities, holiday sex.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 4 May 2022, 4:57pm
Is there an "appropriate" anti-biotic? My Mum has suffered UTIs (had operations cancelled because of them) and it has always taken several different antibiotics. Try one, doesn't clear it so try a different one which doesn't clear it so try another ...
Putting cycling and holidays to one side...

It's complex and the advice changes. It tries to strike a balance between efficacy, risk and cost for the individual patient's individual episode AND reducing the development of resistance.

Here's the current NICE guidance:
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng109/ ... tibiotic-2

Jonathan