What 1st Aid Do You Take On Tour

ChrisP100

Re: What 1st Aid Do You Take On Tour

Post by ChrisP100 »

I carry a small pack of plasters and antiseptic wipes, 4x paracetamol, 4x Ibuprofen and a space blanket in the bottom of my pannier bag EVERY ride.

That will keep me going until either help arrives, or I can get to a pharmacy. If I need anything more than that I can fashion a bandage/tourniquet from a bit of clothing, a bag strap or a shoelace.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ChrisP100 wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 12:24pmIf I need anything more than that I can fashion a bandage/tourniquet from a bit of clothing, a bag strap or a shoelace.
Survival aphorism: You can always find something to make a bandage, a tourniquet and a splint.

: - )

Jonathan
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

I always carry plasters, but have improvised with bandages previously by chopping up my T shirt! Not a wise move :lol:
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

The First Aid course I did at work had a video of a seemingly innocuous looking bike crash in it. Fella fell off and was complaining about a large graze which is what his mate treated.

The handlebar was missing its end plug and had severed the femoral artery - luckily a spectator spotted it but a tourniquet was required. They're now supplied in adventure first aid kits.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I carry a small, pre-packed first aid kit that has a couple of gauze pads, a self-adhesive bandage wrap, a mouth-to-mouth resuscitation shield, some plasters, and a couple of vinyl gloves. I also normally carry anti-bacterial gel / liquid, a space blanket, and a few extra plasters in a zip-lock bag.

I have sometimes carried a triangle bandage, as well, but not recently.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

So long as enough medical/accident cover/insurance never take anything.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I never ride without a space blanket. Remote areas are going to be the worst for ambulance waits and a space blanket might lessen the risks of exposure.
jois

Post by jois »

Psamathe wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 11:11pm In the past I've maybe taken not enough, just a few plasters! But invariably I've needed to find a pharmacy to purchase stuff e.g. antiseptic cream (in NL), anti-histamine (in FR). Never needed pharmacy urgently and no problems finding them and what I need.

But wondering if I should take a bit more but then what as I've been on a tour and not needed antiseptic cream and been on a tour and not needed anti-histamine. So maybe stick with the minimalist approach?

What and/or how extensive do others take on tour?

Ian
Nothing generall, if I can get back on the bike I don't need first aid, if I can't I need an ambulance, the most important bit of first aid you can't do on yourself anyway. .

I few months back I broke several ribs, it was a long painfull 20 miles home, but I needed nether
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There's lot of useful interventions both for yourself and others that fall between doing nothing until you get "home" and needing an ambulance.

Many of them are already given in the helpful suggestions in this thread.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 3:41pm There's lot of useful interventions both for yourself and others that fall between doing nothing until you get "home" and needing an ambulance.

Jonathan
Good example (that I think you gave earlier in this thread): Tick Hooks. (I have always taken two of different sizes, take them travelling as well as cycle touring).

Ian
PH

Post by PH »

I've used my kit a few times over the years, from memory:
- Cleaned up a graze after a fall while on tour, dressed to save getting blood all over down sleeping bag.
- Cleaned up and dressed someone else's graze in similar circumstances.
- Gave a dressing to someone offering roadside assistance in a RTA
- Washed something painful out of my eye, I could have just used a water bottle but the small mirror in the kit was useful.
- Bee sting treatment
- Plasters used a couple of times on myself and others, once on a wound that required stitches
- used the painkillers a few times

It's called first aid for a reason, it isn't necessarily intended to be the complete solution, it's the first action that can be taken to help. As any first aid course also teaches, there's a phycological benefit of having someone take care of you whilst professional help is on the way. I've been on the receiving end of that and someone with a reassuring first aid kit does help, even if the treatment makes little physical difference.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for helping other people. See also bike tools and spares!

Jonathan
jois

Post by jois »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 3:41pm There's lot of useful interventions both for yourself and others that fall between doing nothing until you get "home" and needing an ambulance.

Jonathan
I was answering the question," what do you carry" which is nothing, not telling others what they should carry, which is anything they want. I can see nothing wrong with throwing some TPC and plasters in, just I don't.

Never In my life have I been lay there thinking I wish I had a large triangular bandage , others can take there own first aid kit with them or suffer the consequence, I have over the years kept three people alive till the ambulance got there, didnt need a large triangular bandage for that either, there is very little that is actually life threatening were a first aid kit will make any difference at all, some techniques can go a long way indeed
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

jois wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 9:12am

Jonathan
I was answering the question," what do you carry" which is nothing, not telling others what they should carry, which is anything they want. I can see nothing wrong with throwing some TPC and plasters in, just I don't.

Never In my life have I been lay there thinking I wish I had a large triangular bandage , others can take there own first aid kit with them or suffer the consequence, I have over the years kept three people alive till the ambulance got there, didnt need a large triangular bandage for that either, there is very little that is actually life threatening were a first aid kit will make any difference at all, some techniques can go a long way indeed
Please don't turn yet another interesting thread into a daft argument. This has been a useful and interesting thread

Ian
jois

Post by jois »

Psamathe wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 10:52am
jois wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 9:12am

Jonathan

Please don't turn yet another interesting thread into a daft argument. This has been a useful and interesting thread

Ian
I'm making what I feel is a valid and important point for the discussion

That first aid either consists of treating the most superficial of injuries or getting them ( or yourself)to A&E as quickly as possible, preferably alive. There isn't really much middle ground to worry about.

As such a long with a tin of plasters , aspirin and bandages , if your taking it seriousl you need a mobile phone and some reasonably developed techniques in CPR and steming blood loss, most everything else can wait for the ambulance , unless your up to performing a . tracheostomy

There is no set of circumstances I can imaging were I'm putting a splint on someone's leg, to what end? I'm not going to make them walk 10 miles, they can stop where they are till the ambulance gets there