What 1st Aid Do You Take On Tour

Psamathe

What 1st Aid Do You Take On Tour

Post by Psamathe »

In the past I've maybe taken not enough, just a few plasters! But invariably I've needed to find a pharmacy to purchase stuff e.g. antiseptic cream (in NL), anti-histamine (in FR). Never needed pharmacy urgently and no problems finding them and what I need.

But wondering if I should take a bit more but then what as I've been on a tour and not needed antiseptic cream and been on a tour and not needed anti-histamine. So maybe stick with the minimalist approach?

What and/or how extensive do others take on tour?

Ian
RickH

Re: What 1st Aid Do You Take On Tour

Post by RickH »

I don't recall ever taking any sort of first aid stuff on tour. I don't recall ever needing anything either. I've had a couple of bee/wasp type stings (culprit not positively identified) on the face that swelled up for a couple of hours but didn't need any treatment.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

We take a lot more.

But see recent discussion of antiseptic cream:
viewtopic.php?p=1492729#p1492729

Jonathan
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I would always take some steristrips as well as plasters, handy for any slightly bigger cuts.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I carry nothing but after a few days away last week I am going to start carrying Rennies. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
millimole

Post by millimole »

The only time I've needed a pharmacy or 'first aid' was to get some anti-allergy tablets. I don't know what set it off, and it's never happened again, so unpredictable.

A sensible approach /might/ be to have water (to wash out cuts and abrasions), clean cloth strips (as covering & bandage), steristrips, and a smart phone to find a pharmacy or to call for assistance.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
sjs

Post by sjs »

Sun cream, ibuprofen, Rennies (or similar). I had to take time out once to visit a doctor for advice about some weird reaction which caused my face to look as if I'd survived a few rounds with Mike Tyson, but I don't think any kind of routine 1st aid thing would have fixed that.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Elastoplast
Savlon
Antiseptic Wipes
Bandage
Paracetamol
Nail Clippers
Scissors
Flecainide
Diltiazem
Antacid tablets

It also contains the sewing kit, just because it's a convenient place to keep it.

I've used everything bar the antiseptic wipes and bandage whilst either walking or cycling, and a needle from the sewing kit gets used for draining blisters occasionally, too. The day I decided to put nail clippers in was when I was staying at the Kings Head in Kettlewell. Having stubbed my toe on a step in the middle of the bathroom floor, I then had to pare off what was left of a smashed toenail using a BIC disposable razor. I once used the nail clippers when I broke a fingernail loading the bike onto the Mersea Ferry because I didn't want it snagging on my Lycras and pulling threads out. It wasn't until I'd finished that I noticed the crew were watching on the CCTV, so they were all lined up like a smirking guard of honour as I walked down the gang plank. :lol:

(The sewing kit has been used for running repairs to clothes and luggage several times.)
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I was a boy sprout so i like to be prepared! I consider a first aid kit to be in the same class as a rain jacket, life belt, fire extinguisher - all stuff that may seem superfluous but when you need it you need it!

So yes i do take a kit on tour with me, quite basic, antiseptic wipes, plasters, a small bandage, Savlon, paracetamol (after being told not to use Ibuprofen after my DVT) and a bite/sting pen. All this is in a small pack in my 'dry' pannier so its easy to locate (everything is in some sort of pack so i just look for the red one! Obviously, much like any 'tool' the main thing is knowing what to do when something happens so its worth getting a working knowledge of first aid basics and of course check before a trip that the contents are still okay - a non sticking plaster is pretty useless!

I've very rarely had to use anything, in fact the only occasion i needed a plaster was when i took a chunk out of my leg on my stove as i packed up on the last day of a tour of Denmark! You can guarantee if i don't take it i'll end up cutting my arm off or something! Of course if it was something that serious, i'm rarely far enough from civilisation that i can't summon assistance.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

After I spent some time thinking about a) what had happened to me over several years and b) what I thought might happen, I made up a first aid kit of the following: a triangular bandage, a crepe bandage, some plasters and steri-strips, a couple of Q tips, a pair of tweezers, a handful of analgesic pills of different sorts, some Imodium, a fresh packet of tissues and some Rehydrat.
These items pack down into a couple of zip-lock baggies and form a very light package. It goes without saying, I have potable water with me, too.
They're supposed to deal with a fracture, say of wrist or collarbone, a nasty cut or gash from say barbed wire, something in the eye, or a splinter, as well as what we can summarise as intestinal hurry or just a plain old fashioned headache or some such.
I've used the contents on several occasions - but on the day my chum fell down a bank and broke his wrist, I'd left it at home... :roll:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Several people seem to take Steri Strips. I've never used them but given than touring one is never too far from civilisation how crucial are they and could a bit of pressure from an emergency bandage cover until you get to a pharmacy?

That said, doesn't look like they take up too much space but what are the main benefits over plasters?

Many years ago I did a 1st Aid qualification (focused on offshore sailing) and maybe too many years ago but I don't remember Steri Strips being talked about but they maybe focused more on more severe injuries (boom meeting head of inattentive crew member - which unfortunately turned out to be useful except it was spinnaker pole and head of foredeck crew taking spinnaker down on a mark rounding despite them being experienced and having been warned to stay on the "safe" side (downwind protected by forestay) ...)

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

re Stripstrips, I too am not convinced they're much good. Last time someone used them on me, an inch long incision on my knuckle where a lump had just been removed had a couple of internal stitches of that melty stuff and the outside was supposed to be held closed by a couple of steristrips (or similar product). But by the time I'd cycled to the pub for my post-surgery lunch & restorative, the leakage from, and movement of, the wound had loosened them to the point where they weren't really doing much good...
On the one hand, they take up v. little room and might be ideal for a long thin gash as might be encountered out in the woods, say from a wood splinter or protruding nail or barbed wire, but on the other hand, I agree that some clean cotton torn from the triangular bandage and either taped on or else, held in place with the rest of the bandage or similar would probably do as good or better job.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Triangular bandage, gaffer tape, gauze, painkillers, immodium, small scissors, dental repair kit, iodine.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

A very large dose of 'It will never happen to me'

actually I never go on-tour but often do 8 -10 hour rides. Is taking stuff just tempting fate?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 9:04pm Several people seem to take Steri Strips. I've never used them but given than touring one is never too far from civilisation how crucial are they and could a bit of pressure from an emergency bandage cover until you get to a pharmacy?

That said, doesn't look like they take up too much space but what are the main benefits over plasters?

Many years ago I did a 1st Aid qualification (focused on offshore sailing) and maybe too many years ago but I don't remember Steri Strips being talked about but they maybe focused more on more severe injuries (boom meeting head of inattentive crew member - which unfortunately turned out to be useful except it was spinnaker pole and head of foredeck crew taking spinnaker down on a mark rounding despite them being experienced and having been warned to stay on the "safe" side (downwind protected by forestay) ...)
Steri-Strips and butterflies and similar are a neat way of closing certain types of wounds. They have the advantage over stitches of not causing new injury and not pushing bacteria down into the skin as you do. And hurting less. They have the advantage over broader plasters of leaving more skin exposed to the air and it being easy to remove them individually and add new ones if needed.

It takes a bit of practice to use them, and I recommend doing that before they're needed in anger.

It's also worth practising closing scalp wounds by knotting twists of hair across the join. Similar advantages to strips.

Jonathan